Bishop wants Gov funding for church buildings

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's got some neck, what does he say, "...private individuals, churches, chapels...having to go it alone." Damn right. Living Hope have shown what the congregation and the power of prayer can bring to

I've had enough of this silly fool with too many opinions, telling the Island what we need to do. He'll not be missed. Bye-bye bishop...

He says the Church should keep its money for the things it should be spending it on like God and people! How much money does God need? I suppose its all those Terry's Chocolate Oranges he likes.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/lord-bishop-issues-buildings-ultimatum/

My initial thought was a simple "no, go away you weirdo" but instead I'll retort "Sure, if you pay tax on your church income"

I am not at all religious but he has a point in my view. If the Govt won't let the Church get rid, knock down, or change there use because they are of architectural or heritage interest then should the Govt contribute towards the cost? Same applies to other non religious buildings.

I cannot make up my mind. I think it is right that buildings of interest should be preserved but I am uncomfortable with Govt contributing towards the costs especially if owners are wealthy and I expect any system might be abused. Equally though if a party is forced to maintain a building in a certain form because of its history by the Govt why should the Govt not contribute towards the costs if they are over and above what would otherwise be the case.

Just looking at one example it would not bother me if the Church sold the Church at the end of the Tynwald field and it was converted into a house. Many might be outraged and it would be a shame to see it go from a historical point of view. But who should decide and where does the boundary lie?

Times are changing. Religion used to be central to every day life but people care less about it every day, which is probably a good thing. If the church wants to keep them, ask the congregation to pay, not the taxpayer. If nobody pays then tough shit.

• Like 2

He's got some neck, what does he say, "...private individuals, churches, chapels...having to go it alone." Damn right. Living Hope have shown what the congregation and the power of prayer can bring to its devotees. The CofE, the biggest (untaxed) landowner after the Crown is awash with money let them finance their own proclivities from the collection plate.

Another example of religion's skewed sense of entitlement.

• Like 7

People generally only need religion when they are in deep shit, collectively or individually.

What we need is a war, major plague, an alien invasion or some other event that will encourage lots of people to head to church and put a few quid in the collecting tin.

• Like 2

Ahhh this will be his "Huge effort" to save All Saints from demolition. What is the point? 1960's architecture hmmm, is it really worth saving?

they could replace it with a temporary corrugated iron building, it's been done before (you're too young to remember that :lol: )

• Like 1

I've had enough of this silly fool with too many opinions, telling the Island what we need to do. He'll not be missed. Bye-bye bishop...

Agree. I think he has a point but the way he put it over just smacked of arrogance.

He says the Church should keep its money for the things it should be spending it on like God and people! How much money does God need? I suppose its all those Terry's Chocolate Oranges he likes.

Yep, he needs to say just where the church spends its money. "God and people" is just a bit loose.

Ahhh this will be his "Huge effort" to save All Saints from demolition. What is the point? 1960's architecture hmmm, is it really worth saving?

All Saints is a registered building according to their website. So there's the conundrum. State registration vs. CofE desire to be rid of 'cos they can't afford to pay for the repairs with the dwindling numbers.

Actually I think it's a cracking building to sing in, it has very good acoustics.

People generally only need religion when they are in deep shit, collectively or individually.

What we need is a war, major plague, an alien invasion or some other event that will encourage lots of people to head to church and put a few quid in the collecting tin.

President Trump?