Manannans Review Bullshitters Soundbite Test

JackCarter

The quote of this week is thus:

LESS CONFRONTATION IS ALWAYS GOOD FOR THE GOVERNMENT

Howard Quayle has spoken to 3FM saying how debates in the House of Keys are much less confrontational, praising Team Tynwald for the way they are working together and the good will that everyone is showing everyone else.

He finishes by saying long may it continue.

Well quite; it is always convenient for government to have a House that is young and fresh from experience. The good will is there since the system has not yet crushed their enthusiasm, and egos have not yet clashed to have caused feuds to breakout.

But what Howard Quayle calls less confrontation and good will, others might call a lack of scrutiny and holding government to account.

Question Time for example is becoming slightly worrying. In recent weeks, those who follow the Manx political scene could not have failed to notice how Lawrie Hooper, Rob Callister and David Ashford have really taken to the Question Time experience, while others have yet to ask a single question.

In fact, without Mr Hooper, Mr Callister and Mr Ashford, some weeks would have witnessed no Question Time at all.

Today is an example of what happens when members dont rise to the challenge of scrutinising government. Six questions for oral answer are tabled. While we are not privy to the supplementary questions that might be asked during the session, six questions tabled is pitiful. Once again Lawrie Hooper and Rob Callister lead the charge with Bill Shimmins asking a single question.

David Ashford has not tabled any questions today, and it is noticeable that when one of the leading three questioners of Hooper, Callister and Ashford are absent, we have questions tabled reduced to single digits.

Its a far cry from where we were in the days of Peter Karran, who could think of six questions to ask before breakfast alone.

While half the House are new members; perhaps still finding their way as MHKs and board members of government departments, they must realise that their job is to hold the government to account.

When the Chief Minister talks about less confrontation in the House, and when island residents witness a total number of oral questions at single digits, what we are really talking about is the noise of democracy steadily diminishing within our parliament.

The Programme for Government is to be debated in Tynwald this month. New members may be waiting for this opportunity to make their debut.

Manannan says he is being patient, but his patience will run out if scrutiny diminishes, as a less confrontational Team Tynwald flourishes.

What a load of old shite. Hooper, Ashford and Callister. The most establishment bunch of arse kissers going being portrayed as being progressive.

I would suggest the media has switched roles. The 'underground' press are now endorsing the noisy self publicists whilst the mainstream press are championing those who want change and who can drive it.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 1

The quote of this week is thus:

LESS CONFRONTATION IS ALWAYS GOOD FOR THE GOVERNMENT

Howard Quayle has spoken to 3FM saying how debates in the House of Keys are much less confrontational, praising Team Tynwald for the way they are working together and the good will that everyone is showing everyone else.

He finishes by saying long may it continue.

Well quite; it is always convenient for government to have a House that is young and fresh from experience. The good will is there since the system has not yet crushed their enthusiasm, and egos have not yet clashed to have caused feuds to breakout.

But what Howard Quayle calls less confrontation and good will, others might call a lack of scrutiny and holding government to account.

Question Time for example is becoming slightly worrying. In recent weeks, those who follow the Manx political scene could not have failed to notice how Lawrie Hooper, Rob Callister and David Ashford have really taken to the Question Time experience, while others have yet to ask a single question.

In fact, without Mr Hooper, Mr Callister and Mr Ashford, some weeks would have witnessed no Question Time at all.

Today is an example of what happens when members dont rise to the challenge of scrutinising government. Six questions for oral answer are tabled. While we are not privy to the supplementary questions that might be asked during the session, six questions tabled is pitiful. Once again Lawrie Hooper and Rob Callister lead the charge with Bill Shimmins asking a single question.

David Ashford has not tabled any questions today, and it is noticeable that when one of the leading three questioners of Hooper, Callister and Ashford are absent, we have questions tabled reduced to single digits.

Its a far cry from where we were in the days of Peter Karran, who could think of six questions to ask before breakfast alone.

While half the House are new members; perhaps still finding their way as MHKs and board members of government departments, they must realise that their job is to hold the government to account.

When the Chief Minister talks about less confrontation in the House, and when island residents witness a total number of oral questions at single digits, what we are really talking about is the noise of democracy steadily diminishing within our parliament.

The Programme for Government is to be debated in Tynwald this month. New members may be waiting for this opportunity to make their debut.

Manannan says he is being patient, but his patience will run out if scrutiny diminishes, as a less confrontational Team Tynwald flourishes.

What a load of old shite. Hooper, Ashford and Callister. The most establishment bunch of big mouthed arse kissers going being portrayed as being progressive.

I would suggest the media has switched roles. The 'underground' press are now endorsing the arseholes, whilst the mainstream press are championing those who want change and who can drive it.

So what, in your expert opinion , should Hooper, Callister and Ashford be doing?

So what, in your expert opinion , should Hooper, Callister and Ashford be doing?

I would imagine that everyone else is sitting down and learning about how everything works. It's a bit sad that the three biggest renta gobs are being held out as the progressives when all they've done is ask a series of stupid questions designed to make themselves look good and that is the only purpose for the question being asked at all. Ashford even asked a question about when Douglas would stop looking like a dump and he was a Douglas Counsellor up until about 3 weeks before that. It just made him look like a complete numpty. I'm sure Callister's next question will be "Can I go to the toilet please Sir" to add to the series of stupid questions he's asked in order to try to get his ugly mug in the press every 10 minutes. The man appears to be an utterly shameless self-publicist who is asking questions for no other reason that someone has to actually look at him when he opens his mouth and it might get him two lines in the Manx Radio website. The lot of them are just dreadful in all respects.

It certainly seems like Manannans Review has nothing to report on now that government seems to be moving forward so has to try to profile these grinning clowns because everyone else just seems to be getting on with their jobs. It just shows you how irrelevant Facebook has become as a source of anything other than a place in which someone like Callister can massage his own ego and make it look like they're doing something. Between him and Ashford pathetically playing Smithers to HQs Montgomery Burns they're hardly any benchmark of anything progressive that's happening in Keys.

Edited; I accept that Bees as I see at least Hooper today tabled questions on the Media Development Fund. I assume fed to him by Beecroft as she can no longer poke them with a stick herself. As opposed to a Callister who asks a question about the bus service in Onchan - why don't you just write a bloody email to Longworth? It's not worth a question in Keys just so you can get a paragraph on Manx Radio that you can then post on Facebook to show to the Onchan pensioners.

Edited by JackCarter

I would imagine that everyone else is sitting down and learning about how everything works. It's a bit sad that the three biggest renta gobs are being held out as the progressives when all they've done is ask a series of stupid questions designed to make themselves look good and that is the only purpose for the question being asked at all. Ashford even asked a question about when Douglas would stop looking like a dump and he was a Douglas Counsellor up until about 3 weeks before that. It just made him look like a complete numpty. I'm sure Callister's next question will be "Can I go to the toilet please Sir" to add to the series of stupid questions he's asked in order to try to get his ugly mug in the press every 10 minutes. He man is an utterly shameless self-publicist who is asking questions for no other reason that someone has to actually look at him when he asks it and it might get him two lines in the Manx Radio website. The lot of them are just dreadful in all respects.

It certainly seems like Manannans Review has nothing to report on now that government seems to be moving forward so has to try to profile these grinning clowns because everyone else just seems to be getting on with their jobs. It just shows you how irrelevant Facebook has become as a source of anything other than a place in which someone like Callister can massage his own ego and make it look like they're doing something. Between him and Ashford pathetically playing Smithers to HQs Montgomery Burns they're hardly any benchmark of anything that's happening in Keys..

You really are the biggest idiot on Manx Forums at the moment.

It is about time you come out from behind the keyboard and publish your personal agenda against me, which has been non-stop since the general election.

I might not be the best MHK (your opinion), but I am fulfilling my election promises, putting in the hours and working hard in order to ensure that the right decisions are being made on behalf of Onchan and this island.

I still believe your personal hatred against me relates to the House of Keys General Election or potentially a future election, which I believe you will contest.

• Like 4

I would imagine that everyone else is sitting down and learning about how everything works. It's a bit sad that the three biggest renta gobs are being held out as the progressives when all they've done is ask a series of stupid questions designed to make themselves look good and that is the only purpose for the question being asked at all. Ashford even asked a question about when Douglas would stop looking like a dump and he was a Douglas Counsellor up until about 3 weeks before that. It just made him look like a complete numpty. I'm sure Callister's next question will be "Can I go to the toilet please Sir" to add to the series of stupid questions he's asked in order to try to get his ugly mug in the press every 10 minutes. He man is an utterly shameless self-publicist who is asking questions for no other reason that someone has to actually look at him when he asks it and it might get him two lines in the Manx Radio website. The lot of them are just dreadful in all respects.

It certainly seems like Manannans Review has nothing to report on now that government seems to be moving forward so has to try to profile these grinning clowns because everyone else just seems to be getting on with their jobs. It just shows you how irrelevant Facebook has become as a source of anything other than a place in which someone like Callister can massage his own ego and make it look like they're doing something. Between him and Ashford pathetically playing Smithers to HQs Montgomery Burns they're hardly any benchmark of anything that's happening in Keys..

It is about time you come out from behind the keyboard and publish your personal agenda against me, which has been non-stop since the general election.

I might not be the best MHK (your opinion), but I am fulfilling my election promises, putting in the hours and working hard in order to ensure that the right decisions are being made on behalf of Onchan and this island.

I still believe your personal hatred against me relates to the House of Keys General Election or potentially a future election, which I believe you will contest.

Stop making a dick out of yourself and stop claiming hatred also as it's simply not the case. Non stop? I hardly think so either. I'm an observer of behaviour and yours is, frankly, completely cringeworthy. You'd go to the opening of an envelope just to get your ugly mug in the papers and you know it. As I said why don't you just send an email to Longworth if you want to know about the bus routes in Onchan? Tabling a question on such a parochial subject in Keys serves only one purpose in that it allows Manx Radio to report it and for you to get your face in a news article.

That is the sole purpose of the question - "Look at me, I'm Rob Callister, I'm asking a question"

Fuck me your ego really is the size of a planet. It's all about you isn't it? It couldn't possibly be that some members of the public think you're talking shite.

Edited by JackCarter
  • Like 2

Rob, just do what the rest of us do and stick him on your ignore list. Though I'm pretty sure they'll post something libellous at some point.

Pretty sure that won't happen. Im just passing social comment on observed behaviour.

Edited by JackCarter

Stop making a complete dick out of yourself and stop claiming hatred also as it's simply not the case. Non stop? I hardly think so either. I'm an observer of behaviour and yours is, frankly, completely cringeworthy. You'd go to the opening of an envelope just to get your ugly mug in the papers and you know it. As I said why don't you just send an email to Longworth if you want to know about the bus routes in Onchan? Tabling a question on such a parochial subject in Keys serves only one purpose in that it allows Manx Radio to report it and for you to get your face in a news article.

That is the sole purpose of the question - "Look at me, I'm Rob Callister, I'm asking a question"

Fuck me your ego really is the size of a planet. A million miles off target. As usual.

Let's just clear up some facts........

Over the last five years I have only ever asked Manx Radio or IOM Newspaper for one interview re. Public Sector Housing.

The questions I have tabled so far relate to my election promises to the voters of Onchan.

• Like 2

It's a parochial matter. It has no relevance for a question in Keys other than for it to be reported that you asked the question. That is, apparently, the sole purpose of you asking the question. Do you not have email? Can you not simply email Longworth and ask him the question? But that wouldn't get your mug on Manx Radio would it?

Edited by JackCarter

I agree, as an Onchan resident I'm wondering if Rob Callister as an "off" switch and could perhaps just get on with whatever he's supposed to be doing rather than shamelessly courting the media.

Err, you do realise that by continuing to post you are seriously diluting the Flounce Factor?

• Like 4