Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
HeliX

Manx Telecom Phone + Contract prices

Comparing these to the UK doesn't shed a favourable light on MT. Has anyone ever successfully haggled to an off the menu contract or large discount on the upfront cost of a phone with a contract?

Cheers

I've unsuccessfully haggled with them. As a result I'm with Sure.

Sure sadly don't seem to let you pay part of the phone price upfront with a new contract, which is a shame as it means their contract prices are high on new phones as a result.

I was looking at sures latest price plans and can't say I'm that impressed. I'm on one of those 'unlimited' contracts that they don't do anymore and I'm not totally sure what I'll do when the contract runs out early next year. I'll probably try haggling unsuccessfully with MT again. Buying a cheap Chinese phone and going on PAYG looks more promising these days, although getting home broadband with sure and a mobile contract is £120/yr cheaper.

I was looking at sures latest price plans and can't say I'm that impressed. I'm on one of those 'unlimited' contracts that they don't do anymore and I'm not totally sure what I'll do when the contract runs out early next year. I'll probably try haggling unsuccessfully with MT again. Buying a cheap Chinese phone and going on PAYG looks more promising these days, although getting home broadband with sure and a mobile contract is £120/yr cheaper.

If you don't sign a new contract with Sure you retain your existing terms. We left one of ours on an old tariff for nearly a year before one of their newer sim only offerings became more appealing. If you buy a new phone outright there's no need to re-sign until you want to.

Turns out I can fly to Manchester, get the phone from Virgin Media on contract, fly back, pay the cheapest Manx Telecom sim only contract, and still have paid less than getting the phone on contract from Manx Telecom. Come on guys.

Edited by HeliX

I can't see how with the price of flights to Manchester. How does that breakdown numbers wise?

LG G5 from Manx Telecom:
£45/month for 2 years = £1080
LG G5 from Virgin Media:
£26/month for 2 years = £624
Cheapest Manx Telecom Sim-Only contract £15/month for 2 years = £360
Return flight to Manchester = £69
Total = £984
Flight was leaving Thursday 1st Dec, returning Saturday 3rd Dec.
  • Like 2

Yeah, but sleeping in Piccadilly Gardens for 2 nights takes the shine off it a bit. stuart.gif

Seriously, it is quite shocking.

• Like 1

Yeah, but sleeping in Piccadilly Gardens for 2 nights takes the shine off it a bit. stuart.gif

Particularly if you get mugged for the phone.

• Like 2

Particularly if you get mugged for the phone.

When you could have done that just by going to MT in the first place!!

• Like 4

I'm already with Sure on my mobile plan (SIM only). Anyone know if the landline deal with Sure is better than MT for a (so-called hi-speed) broadband?

I can't see how with the price of flights to Manchester. How does that breakdown numbers wise?

LG G5 from Manx Telecom:
LG G5 from Virgin Media:
Total = £984

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy a SIM-free phone off Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-G5-32-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01CDZYXXE/ref=sr_1_4?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1479403327&sr=1-4&keywords=lg+g5

LG G5 : £400

Cheapest MT PAYG £15/month for 2 years: £360

Total: £760

Granted, you don't get a weekend away for the pleasure, but hey, it's 25% off MT prices

Edited by Owen

LG G5 from Manx Telecom:
LG G5 from Virgin Media:
Total = £984

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy a SIM-free phone off Amazon?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-G5-32-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01CDZYXXE/ref=sr_1_4?s=telephone&ie=UTF8&qid=1479403327&sr=1-4&keywords=lg+g5

LG G5 : £400

Cheapest MT PAYG £15/month for 2 years: £360

Total: £760

Granted, you don't get a weekend away for the pleasure, but hey, it's 25% off MT prices

It is yeah, just would prefer to do it monthly rather than in one go right when I'm supposed to be buying other people Christmas presents... :)