Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Boo Gay'n

Man bites dog?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/postman-was-bitten-on-arm-and-leg-1-8264097

A ex-police dog, now a family pet, has been spared a destruction order after biting a postman on the arm and leg. Ruby, a German Shepherd, attacked the postman when he was trying to deliver a parcel at Ballacain House on Little Mill Road in Onchan.Albert Guest, aged 55, who is not the owner of the dog, but was in charge of it at the time of the incident, was ordered to pay £50 prosecution costs. Magistrates’ made a court order that the dog be kept under proper control in future. Prosecutor Rachael Braidwood told the court how, on September 23, Brian Blair had been delivering parcels in Onchan.He rang the bell at Ballacain House and said that a large dog came around from the back of the house and started barking and jumping up.Mr Blair said he held up a parcel to protect himself but was bitten on the leg and arm.He was taken to hospital where it was said he had to spend three nights due to his injuries and then return a few weeks later for an operation. Guest admitted he had been responsible for the dog and had failed to keep it under control.Mrs Braidwood did not make any application for the destruction of the dog, but the court heard that this was still an option for the magistrates when sentencing.Defending Guest in court, advocate Lydia Mulligan said: ‘Mr Guest acknowledged that he was the keeper of the dog on that day.‘The owner is also in court. Clearly this is a very emotive issue. Ruby is a family pet, used to being in the home. ‘Ruby is an ex-police dog. She did her training but did not make the grade so she was sold.‘It is very unusual she would react in this way. There are lots of people milling around the cottages.‘It is admitted that Ruby barks and is noisy but never goes any further. We can only think Mr Blair has reacted to the noise by defending himself and she has reacted to that.Ruby’s owner Marcia Brabbs was in tears as she made an emotional plea against a destruction order saying: ‘Ruby is a family pet. The house is also used as a haven for victims of abuse. Ruby regularly meets people and there are no issues.‘We have been training her, if you raise your arms she sits at your feet. This is incredibly unusual. All I can say is he must have done something. ‘She is all bark. She came into the house just before my son died. She is known by everyone as a big softie.’Chair of the magistrates Brian Walton said: ‘We have considered what everyone has had to say and will make an order that the dog be kept under proper control.’Mr Walton added that any claim for compensation would have to be pursued through a civil court.

I love the irony here - blame the victim who ends up in hospital and support the animal who put him there. "All I can say is he must have done something."

It attacked a human, it should be put down. Zero tolerance.

• Like 3

Yes. Done it once so even more likely to do it again.

It's about time that these magistrate's and the courts they somehow (how - you tell me) get to pontificate over were properly known. But hey, maybe that is another subject.

Back on topic proper. The problem here is that the dog is an animal. (oh yeah...duh!). It will react to anyone coming into its trerritory. Not normally a problem of course. Its sense of smell tells it a lot, in fact a shedload.

In the case of our poor aul' postie here, who could likely have picked up the recent scent of tens if not hundreds of dogs and humans, poor old bonzo senses a fucking veritable army about to waltz up to the very front door. Bold as brass too, and as always, in a bit of a hurry.

Think about it. In all its dog-brained confusion the only reasonable reaction is attack....attack....attack.

I would tell those up there in Ballacain (hmmm, that name rings a bell, or is it a corkhill) that their post can be picked up at the post office.

Gettafa, I agree with you on your first paragraph. pm me for anything more sensitive

Is that Marcia Brabbs previously McLeod? American, fundamentalist, bible bashing, loud, drink driving, associated with Broadway Baptists/Alpha Centre who was divorced on adultery grounds and took her ex husband to the Privy Council because she wasn't satisfied with the nearly £2 million under her pre nup?

Edited by Kipper99
  • Like 1

LOL. Luckily for everyone, you're not in charge and the courts don't agree with you.

• Like 1

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/postman-was-bitten-on-arm-and-leg-1-8264097

A ex-police dog, now a family pet, has been spared a destruction order after biting a postman on the arm and leg. Ruby, a German Shepherd, attacked the postman when he was trying to deliver a parcel at Ballacain House on Little Mill Road in Onchan.Albert Guest, aged 55, who is not the owner of the dog, but was in charge of it at the time of the incident, was ordered to pay £50 prosecution costs. Magistrates’ made a court order that the dog be kept under proper control in future. Prosecutor Rachael Braidwood told the court how, on September 23, Brian Blair had been delivering parcels in Onchan.He rang the bell at Ballacain House and said that a large dog came around from the back of the house and started barking and jumping up.Mr Blair said he held up a parcel to protect himself but was bitten on the leg and arm.He was taken to hospital where it was said he had to spend three nights due to his injuries and then return a few weeks later for an operation. Guest admitted he had been responsible for the dog and had failed to keep it under control.Mrs Braidwood did not make any application for the destruction of the dog, but the court heard that this was still an option for the magistrates when sentencing.Defending Guest in court, advocate Lydia Mulligan said: ‘Mr Guest acknowledged that he was the keeper of the dog on that day.‘The owner is also in court. Clearly this is a very emotive issue. Ruby is a family pet, used to being in the home. ‘Ruby is an ex-police dog. She did her training but did not make the grade so she was sold.‘It is very unusual she would react in this way. There are lots of people milling around the cottages.‘It is admitted that Ruby barks and is noisy but never goes any further. We can only think Mr Blair has reacted to the noise by defending himself and she has reacted to that.Ruby’s owner Marcia Brabbs was in tears as she made an emotional plea against a destruction order saying: ‘Ruby is a family pet. The house is also used as a haven for victims of abuse. Ruby regularly meets people and there are no issues.‘We have been training her, if you raise your arms she sits at your feet. This is incredibly unusual. All I can say is he must have done something. ‘She is all bark. She came into the house just before my son died. She is known by everyone as a big softie.’Chair of the magistrates Brian Walton said: ‘We have considered what everyone has had to say and will make an order that the dog be kept under proper control.’Mr Walton added that any claim for compensation would have to be pursued through a civil court.

I love the irony here - blame the victim who ends up in hospital and support the animal who put him there. "All I can say is he must have done something."

Ruby is a family pet, wah wah wah, turn on the waterworks !! most dogs are family pets, another case of emotional bullshit cons courts, it will still be a family pet the next time it bites someone... the postman must have done something ! turned up doing his job maybe???? the post office should refuse to deliver there now and the dog owners should trek to the sorting office every day for their mail, without the dog. it will be dumped on the MSPCA after the next bite victim is paid off to keep quiet and passed on to some other mugs who won't be told about the history and possible risks.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

Do any of the magistrates have dogs or maybe that isn't relevant?

Is that Marcia Brabbs previously McLeod? American, fundamentalist, bible bashing, loud,..................

Is that Albert Guest previously ..... unlucky fella him.

A point of clarity

Ruby was never in any shape or form a ‘police dog’. She was sold on at just six months old for the sole reason that we had reduced our number of General Purpose dogs and she was surplus to requirements.

This was not a dog that had failed to make the grade during training. In those circumstances – dependent on precisely what the failure was, very careful decisions have to be made around the disposal of that animal. For example, there is no way that a dog which had demonstrated uncontrolled aggression would be transferred to a member of the public. There may be a perception by the public that this is what had happened with Ruby, so I thought we'd better set the record straight.

• Like 4