Youtube being throttled?

My Youtube has been pretty poor recently, unable to stream anything more than 1080p, and that is taking quite some time to buffer before it plays

4k content is totally out, no chance it's going to load, even if i leave it for half an hour, it just times out

However, i just connected via HideMyAss VPN to the UK, and now even 4k Youtube is streaming quickly

So, is Youtube being throttled by my ISP (WiManx) ?

Just to add, downloading via NNTP or browsing the web was always fine, it was just YouTube that was terrible, and as a big Youtube user, its a pain in the neck

Just to add, 55/ / 10 here on my connection, so pretty decent!

Edited by somewhatdamaged

Cheers Ans

Very strange that it's just here though, I've tried changing my DNS to Google's servers, and it didn't make any difference and also rebooting the router as well

Also checked the data flow on my router, and it's still dreadful with no other outbound traffic.

I'll have to think of some other things to try, but i would have thought the connection being fine over VPN suggested an ISP issue

Maybe i'm wrong!

OK another update

I have friends at work who are now reporting the exact same issue, all with Manx Telecom

They say Youtube is practically unusable, and the streams are only working if they drop the resolution down to 480p.

It looks like there is indeed some traffic shaping going on, possibly by Manx Telecom, and WiManx maybe being affected too.

@Mbx, yes all devices are being affected :-(

Any ideas then Shill?

Something is definitely wrong here, and the fact it works over a VPN surely must mean something?

This has only been happening for the last 7-10 days, it was fine before that

Nothing changed on my side. Tried rebooting router and changing DNS to Google servers to no avail.

Happening on both my desktop, laptop and wife's laptop, so across my entire LAN

No updates / changes done on my Draytek.

As i mentioned, other people at work have the exact same issue, but they are with Manx Telecom. One colleague regularly streams Indian movies and they are now having to run at a lower than HD res and be allowed to buffer, and other colleagues specifically mention Youtube being terrible.

Anything else i can try would be appreciated

Let me test some 4k content tonight from home. I usually stream in 1080 on Youtube. I am on standard VDSL but am getting 40/2 now MT have installed a cab near me.

I agree it is strange that when you connect via VPN you are having no issues.

I will feed back tomorrow.

I'm with Wi-Manx and watch a lot of 4K content, I've just spent 3 hours watching Youtube @4k with no issues at all. Is it certain times of the day when you are experiencing this? Have you tried other 4k streaming sources? I have noticed that our streaming experience in the house has degraded a lot in the evenings over the past 2-3 months but that's not the sort of problem that would be resolved with a VPN. 48/10 connection but an average Speedtest in the evening is probably <25Mb down, 45ish during the day.

Hey MrFunk, thanks for the reply

I was off a couple of days last week, so was using Youtube during the day and had the same issue, but it's mainly in the evenings (up to around 2am at weekends)

The only streaming service i've tried is Youtube, but happy to try some others if you have any examples

thanks

No worries.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34xvym_4k-videos-1_people

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3c3p8s_nasa-thermonuclear-art-the-sun-in-ultra-hd-4k_tech

Edit- Just as a test I've just tried multiple 4k streams and watched bandwidth usage at the router level (I'm the only 1 in the house right now). A single Youtube 4k stream seems to consume about 23Mb, this is working great right now. A second stream knocks it up to around 46, as you'd expect. I get the odd moment of buffering on the second stream but it did work after a fashion. With both those playing it consumes my entire bandwidth and even surfing the web is a major pain in the ass so it doesn't look like Wi-Manx are shaping to leave anything in reserve there?

Not sure if any of that help but there you have it.

Edited by MrFunk

Just did the same thing here, same video. If I could figure out how to upload an image I'd show you the results but basically connection speed around 35000 Kbps, 16 second buffer. No VPN, just a straight forward Wi-Manx connection.

Has somebody been a naughty boy? wink.png

Edit - Added Image

post-6576-0-76962200-1481655929_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrFunk

Not sure what you mean??

Your images show pretty clear throttling I would have thought, but seeing as how we are using the same ISP then it's being done at an individual level? Interesting to see what others think but that's how I would read it.