Strang Road

32 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It is ( afaik) the main route for ambulances and they really don't want to be jumping over sleeping policemen.

But, yes Notwell, it has become the shortcut for Nobles' , more's the pity.( and all the fu**ers using Noble's car park as a "park and share" freebie.

It's not, ambulances don't use. Bus company were one of the main considerations for  not using speed cushions, fuck knows why. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Travelled down there for the first time in months this morning. What an absolute travesty of simple, and I mean, very simple common sense!! I would assume that 99% of drivers recognise that, first o

What a load of nonsense. I'd still like to know what is so special about the denizens of Strang Road that they warrant a weight limit and a 20mph speed limit on a through route, complete with an obsta

Surely that depends on the situation?   Anyway, I'm all for cutting down through that way. Easy as possible for me please.   I've no time for residents who live on busy roads complaining about th

Posted Images

There was a statement somewhere that they were removed for something to do with the recent car rally, but I can't understand what possible connection there would be, it wouldn't have been part of a stage, and surely they wouldn't have chosen to use that route between stages, and the cost to have them shifted and returned would be unjustified. Makes no sense at all :huh:

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Yes, very much so.

However the DOI will have followed the rules to a "T" on this.

The sad thing is that if drivers didn't act like tools, these things just would never be an issue.

I wouldn't be so sure, I recall the double yellow lines on Market Street where lots of fixed penalty charges were levied, some in multiples to a friend of mine. It turns out that the lay-by and roadway yellow lines were just painted, there was no supporting legislation, not one was enforceable !

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

It is ( afaik) the main route for ambulances and they really don't want to be jumping over sleeping policemen.

But, yes Notwell, it has become the shortcut for Nobles' , more's the pity.( and all the fu**ers using Noble's car park as a "park and share" freebie.

So why should it not be a shortcut for Nobles? Or anywhere else for that matter? I've posed the question many times here and elsewhere, what is so special about that road? It is a through route from Strang to the main road at Union Mills. Nothing special or particularly onerous about driving on it. It isn't narrower than many other heavily used roads on the Island. Other roads that are far busier have residents as close and closer. I assume it was there before many or most of the houses.

I used to think the residents there thought they were above having to put up with traffic passing by like other mortals have to, but if even an MHK who lives there is against this nonsense, you have to wonder who really is behind it.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, woolley said:

So why should it not be a shortcut for Nobles? Or anywhere else for that matter? I've posed the question many times here and elsewhere, what is so special about that road? It is a through route from Strang to the main road at Union Mills. Nothing special or particularly onerous about driving on it. It isn't narrower than many other heavily used roads on the Island. Other roads that are far busier have residents as close and closer. I assume it was there before many or most of the houses.

I used to think the residents there thought they were above having to put up with traffic passing by like other mortals have to, but if even an MHK who lives there is against this nonsense, you have to wonder who really is behind it.

I think it is too busy with all the busses now stopping at Nobles' combined with all the residents cars parked on the road too.

It was always a bit of a bottleneck before the new hospital was built.

Maybe just make it a "clear way" and problem solved.:)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I think it is too busy with all the busses now stopping at Nobles' combined with all the residents cars parked on the road too.

It was always a bit of a bottleneck before the new hospital was built.

Maybe just make it a "clear way" and problem solved.:)

Given that there's only four buses an hour going to the Hospital[1] each way and three of those don't go down the Strang Road[2], it's hardly the M25.  As you imply, the real problem is that some of the residents regard it as a private road cum car park[3] and object to the plebs being allowed to use it.

Given that even most residents seem think that this is a daft (and dangerous and probably illegal) idea, you can only assume that this is driven by the whims of just a few and the unwillingness of the DoI to admit they are ever wrong about anything.

[1]  Posted to help llap who needs to get there often for some reason. 

[2]  Only the 5, 5C, 5J and 6A to/from Peel use it.  Admittedly this may rise to the dizzy heights of two or even three an hour at 'rush hour' times as apparently the staff need to get to work.  But the rest of the day it's hourly.

[3]  Of course if it was they'd have to pay for the planters (and all the rest of the maintenance), themselves.

• 1 month later...

Just driven down Strang Road - wtf.

Get the paint out and double yellow lines all the way down. Even if just the west side. All those houses have big drives and garages. Laziness allows them to park on the road. How convenient for the owners, but utterly inconvenient for all other road users.

Who is the Minister who is responsible? It's about time they grew some and sorted it out. The residents have to accept that with the New Hospital being so near they are no longer living along a quiet leafy lane.

Those effin' boxes/bollards are a joke. Maybe ok for some situations but not this one.

Edited by Craig King
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Craig King said:

Just driven down Strang Road - wtf.

Get the paint out and double yellow lines all the way down. Even if just the west side. All those houses have big drives and garages. Laziness allows them to park on the road. How convenient for the owners, but utterly inconvenient for all other road users.

Who is the Minister who is responsible? It's about time they grew some and sorted it out. The residents have to accept that with the New Hospital being so near they are no longer living along a quiet leafy lane.

Those effin' boxes/bollards are a joke. Maybe ok for some situations but not this one.

It's the same where ever you go. Royal Avenue is a prime example. Nearly all the houses have drives but people prefer to park on the road for some bizarre reason

59 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's the same where ever you go. Royal Avenue is a prime example. Nearly all the houses have drives but people prefer to park on the road for some bizarre reason

I imagine with a queue of traffic  up your arse it isn't easy to indicate and stop with the intention of reversing into your driveway when the bumper hugger behind you has stopped in the way blocking you with the same happened to them to prevent them from reversing out of the way.

So easier to pull into the side of the road, ansd hold up the traffic while you get out the car and leave it there until the morning.

Leaving a car at the side of the road when you have a perfectly serviceable driveway is about as selfish as it gets.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Craig King said:

So easier to pull into the side of the road, ansd hold up the traffic while you get out the car and leave it there until the morning.

Leaving a car at the side of the road when you have a perfectly serviceable driveway is about as selfish as it gets.

Residents of Greenlands Ave in Ramsey are in for a nasty shock soon then, they'll have to get used to parking on their drives as there's at least 3 "sleeping policeman" traffic calming measures under construction on it presently, presumably for when it becomes the bypass whilst the Lezayre Rd scheme gets under way. The access gate into Lezayre Estate (the Pondy) has long been widened and finished and is now locked again.

Looks like it's going to go ahead and the objectors will have to come up with better reasons for any delays.

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I agree with you on Royal Ave. I visit a friend there and always park on the road as trying to reverse onto his drive is a nightmare. People just speed past and beep at you if you haven't manoevered in 3 seconds flat. But I have to say that as a visitor why should I have to park on a friends drive when I should have a right to park in the street just like anywhere else? I imagine that it's the same in Strang Road and many places in town (Ballabrooie etc) where some people have drives but there are visitors of residents who need to park on the road in order to visit friends and family. You can't just ban parking because people want to speed up a road and find other peoples cars a bit inconvenient. 

Edited by MediaStar
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, MediaStar said:

I agree with you on Royal Ave. I visit a friend there and always park on the road as trying to reverse onto his drive is a nightmare. People just speed past and beep at you if you haven't manoevered in 3 seconds flat. But I have to say that as a visitor why should I have to park on a friends drive when I should have a right to park in the street just like anywhere else? I imagine that it's the same in Strang Road and many places in town (Ballabrooie etc) where some people have drives but there are visitors of residents who need to park on the road in order to visit friends and family. You can't just ban parking because people want to speed up a road and find other peoples cars a bit inconvenient. 

I wasn't referring to visitors. The people in question are the residents