Tynwald Mills Sold

Zammo Maguire

Personally I think Tynwald mills is a very poor pastiche of what it was 10-15 years ago.

I agree the quality has definitely gone down in the last few years.

But the prices haven't even when sales are on. Nice to have a mooch about and then go home and shop online. Enjoy and buy at the farmers market on a Thursday.

• Like 1

Better clothing range these days. It's never been cheap.

It's never meant to have been cheap. But then "good value" and "cheap are two very different things in the same way as something can cost a lot without being expensive, or can be expensive without costing that much.

• Like 3

Does anyone know how much, if any, public money was put into Tynwald Mills in the way of grants etc?

Likewise, Groudle Glen Cottages?

Just curious is all.

No.

But if there was any it would have been years ago and I would imagine repaid many times over in the form of tax and NI for all the staff, VAT collected etc

• Like 1

Does anyone know how much, if any, public money was put into Tynwald Mills in the way of grants etc?

Likewise, Groudle Glen Cottages?

Just curious is all.

Who cares?

The terms are clear and if and what needs repaying.

Encouraging that you have read absolutely every government grant application to arrive at that conclusion.

I don't need to. It's quite clear how those grants work.

As I said - who cares? It is an irrelevant point.

I care where our money is being, or has been given away for one project and another.

Tourist accommodation that could mysteriously turn into non tourist property perhaps.

Maybe the government could invest in certain cases with a view to having shares that would show a return for the taxpayers if it did well. Or perhaps they pay back when such a level of profit is reached?

I believe that we need to take more care with our assets, that's all.

• Like 2

I care where our money is being, or has been given away for one project and another.

Tourist accommodation that could mysteriously turn into non tourist property perhaps.

Maybe the government could invest in certain cases with a view to having shares that would show a return for the taxpayers if it did well. Or perhaps they pay back when such a level of profit is reached?

I believe that we need to take more care with our assets, that's all.

What grant assisted tourist accommodation has 'mysteriously' changed to non tourist property then? And if so how do you know the terms of any grant wasn't adhered to?

Your investing idea - it exists. There is a 50m development fund to do exactly that. People have done nothing but fucking moan about it.

Hey notwell, I think you would be best advised not to ask that particular question because someone may well answer it.

Oh, and the terms of the Tourist Grants were well publicised in the Richard Corkill (erm, ex-Chief Minister) case. But the courts seemed to think there were bigger charges to pursue. And besides, the Tourism Department (as was then?) would need to press the matter. Best keep quiet eh.

• Like 1