Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
BallaDoc

Ramsey's decline continues

Ramsey,the arsehole of the I-o-m.

That's pretty incisive. You truly are a literary giant.

Too many eyesores spoil Ramsey. The town's full of them. It's a shame, as it has a lot going for it and was really beautiful at one time.

Fair play - that's one less unwelcome visitor

• Like 1

Whenever I come back to the Island I always stay in Ramsey. Top spot and it could easily do with a few more hotels. Ramsey Park Hotel is always fully booked. Stayed at Woodbrae last time, tadge expensive but not Douglas. Winner!

• Like 1

I suspect they've paid £250k over the odds for it.

Whenever I come back to the Island I always stay in Ramsey. Top spot and it could easily do with a few more hotels. Ramsey Park Hotel is always fully booked. Stayed at Woodbrae last time, tadge expensive but not Douglas. Winner!

Is this your gran?https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2579571/isle-of-man-100-year-old-woman-has-never-left-island/?utm_content=buffer3e32d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Mooragh Park is a great facility to have, but I am concerned about the botched repairs to the ornamental brickwork on the paths round the lake. When the bricks deteriorate, instead of replacing them with new bricks they fill the gap with concrete. They have done this in several places.

might be due to being unable to get the same brick?

They did make a valiant effort to replace the bricks, but the originals must have been a very specific type as the new ones crumbled quickly. Possibly furnace bricks? To be honest, we now have alternate materials to what they used then, and although red tarmac isn't quite the same as the original bricks it could still look OK. I think the main feature is to provide a layer or two of expansion foam at either side as I think the purpose of the brick sections was to allow a slight expansion and contraction of the main concrete sections.

CDL off-licence/convenience store on Parliament Sq closing now? Can anybody confirm?

According to their Facebook page, it shut down in November.

CDL off-licence/convenience store on Parliament Sq closing now? Can anybody confirm?

Yes it was a sad day when Dave shut up shop, a fine selection of beer and good conversation

I'll never forget him ID'ing me and when I handed over my brand new driving licence he spent a little while squinting at it and exclaimed that he never knew where to look on the blasted things for the date of birth, I replied "well there's 3 dates on the card, one is my date of birth, one is in the future and the other is last week". Got my booze.

• Like 1

Yeah, though it's not really a problem - you've got the big Co-op open til 9 and the little Co-op open til 10, so alcohol needs are still well served.

Well, I mean, if you go to the townhall, you can admire Rhumsaa's magnificent beard. Or if you're near the dole queue, you could spot me. I'll be the man inbetween all the single mothers.

There must be something nice to look at in Ramsey

Mooragh Park is lovely

Swing Bridge (especially lit up at night with a full harbour) is a nice piece of architecture

The Courthouse area is quite nice day or night

The Queens Pier has certainly seen better days but is still an iconic landmark

The Albert Tower is a great spot to walk to

Me, obviously, I'm quite a dashing chap

ETA The Grove Museum is also a MNH building probably worth a skeet

Edited by Rhumsaa
  • Like 3

Ramsey began to decline about a hundred years ago. Nothing there worth visiting except the Grove.