Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ManxTaxPayer

Bushy's To Defend.....

Well x-in-man, I think that will be coming, according to Trevor (former TT uber civil servant) on Manx Radio Talking Heads, there is no black and white in this, using TT in your advert is not an option.

This is rapidly becoming Big Brother/the state gone mad. And we thought we were over-governed before all this...?

It's all about government making money for government. They don't care that a private company like Bushy's has invested so much into the TT over the last god knows how long and employed a huge amount of people and paid a shit load of VAT, and tax, and NI. Or that it's been part of what has made the festival successful. It has refused to pay the DED tithe which directly contributes to savings on the DED budget.

It's almost like protection money.

All Callister is, is the DEDs very own Fat Tony paying them a visit to remind them that they have to treat him with respect and cross his palm with silver.

yes

Thanks

any time, all the points you made are valid, as were mine - the only one I'd disagree with is whether it should be on mainstream TV - I think the TT is more exciting than a lot of sports on TV, and better coverage would increase its popularity and its attraction to the masses. Due to TV coverage the world wide viewing audience rose from 8m in 2009 to 24m in 2013. I don't have figures for 2016, but it will take time (and money) to continue to build that following, so we'll have to watch this space.

• Like 1

But all those viewers aren't coming here. They're helping ITV4 sell advertising of ITV4 but they're not generating a penny in revenue for IOMG outside of peyimg for the rights to broadcast. Just residual advertising.

• Like 3

There must be a proportion of an increasing audience who will watch and think they have to come and visit.

• Like 1

The TT is really boring, you stand in a field for several hours and yet get to see the winner 6 times for a second or so each time. You won't even see him take the lead since that rarely happens on the track but in the timekeeper's hut and even when it does it is likely to be elsewhere on the track.

It's only the atmosphere around it that attracts people to the event.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, the petrolhead lobby have got caught up in the event because they love it, and demand bigger and better events every year and the petrolhead lobby dominate the Civil Service and DED. Everything must be subservient to the all important TT (we can have an all Island speed limit in case it will damage the TT for example). So from their perspective Bushy's and other local businesses are irrelevant and can be sacrificed for their "partners" because they are in the thrall to the TT myth and that must be made ever more gargantuan.

Quite honestly Declan, the petrolhead lobby were quite happy with the TT and MGP as it was pre DED. The TT as an event is, in my opinion a shadow of what it once was. The racing is fine but there is a huge vacuum where there was once atmosphere.

Something needed to be done to improve facilities and marketability for teams and competitors etc but we were accommodating a lot more visitors before all of this work was done and money spent.

It's arguable that the TT has a higher profile than ever, I doubt this is due to anything other than TV and internet exposure, areas which were not available in any substance until the mid noughties. It is possible that the TT would have grown with a lot less money being spent, a lot less heartache and infighting.

Having said all that, I think that the DED have been made aware by bidders in the World Series and Promoter process, that there is a lot to be gained in licensing and trademarks etc. They have allowed this to slip from their grasp. If Vision9 had now been in control, they would be ruthlessly pursuing Bushy's and anyone who they felt were infringing their licence. Perhaps the DED will be more willing to sort a compromise than a promoter would be?

• Like 1

Common sense prevails??!!

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/agreement-reached-between-ded-and-bushys/

Manx Radio understands an agreement has been reached between the Department of Economic Development and Bushy's Brewery over the use of the initials "TT".

It's being termed a "co-existence" agreement.

More to follow - waiting for a press release from IOM Government.

• Like 2

I don't know if I heard the radio report correctly but it appeared from (I think maybe what Rob Callister said) that the first contact with Bushy's was the letter.

IF this is the case I find that truly extraordinary and largely inexcusable.

Whilst talking of inexcusable I'd also like to level that at Manx Radio who's coverage has been incessant since the story broke. We KNOW there is a huge agenda driven government control on their output so what they are doing mystifies me.thumbsup.gif

ETA - Storm in a teacup as stated at the time the story broke.

Edited by notwell
  • Like 2

The TT is really boring, you stand in a field for several hours and yet get to see the winner 6 times for a second or so each time. You won't even see him take the lead since that rarely happens on the track but in the timekeeper's hut and even when it does it is likely to be elsewhere on the track.

It's only the atmosphere around it that attracts people to the event.

Giacomo Agostini said this years ago. He didn't understand why people sat there on a hedge to watch him go past. I used to ink he hadn't grasped it but once I had ridden I found it hard to go and watch others do it.

• Like 1

I don't know if I heard the radio report correctly but it appeared from (I think maybe what Rob Callister said) that the first contact with Bushy's was the letter.

Whilst talking of inexcusable I'd also like to level that at Manx Radio who's coverage has been incessant since the story broke. We KNOW there is a huge agenda driven government control on their output so what they are doing mystifies me.thumbsup.gif

It's a huge public interest story, hence MR coverage.

Regarding sending out a letter as first contact, blame that on excessive pomposity, add a good dose of newly found ego tripping.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

Common sense prevails??!!

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/agreement-reached-between-ded-and-bushys/

Manx Radio understands an agreement has been reached between the Department of Economic Development and Bushy's Brewery over the use of the initials "TT".

It's being termed a "co-existence" agreement.

More to follow - waiting for a press release from IOM Government.

Nice to see DED had the sense to back down on this. Now can we get a responsible adult in there to supervise them and keep them away from matches and sharp objects.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the petrolhead lobby have got caught up in the event because they love it, and demand bigger and better events every year and the petrolhead lobby dominate the Civil Service and DED. Everything must be subservient to the all important TT (we can have an all Island speed limit in case it will damage the TT for example). So from their perspective Bushy's and other local businesses are irrelevant and can be sacrificed for their "partners" because they are in the thrall to the TT myth and that must be made ever more gargantuan.

Quite honestly Declan, the petrolhead lobby were quite happy with the TT and MGP as it was pre DED.

I was, ineptly, referring to the petrolhead lobby within the government and DED in particular, not as a whole.

• Like 1

It's a huge public interest story, hence MR coverage.

Regarding sending out a letter as first contact, blame that on excessive pomposity, add a good dose of newly found ego tripping.

Apparently these are all surpressed. Didn't you know?

It's dog poo and potholes.

Get this sort of subject in Tynwald or Manx Radio and every man and his (shitting) dog has an opinion.