Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ManxTaxPayer

Bushy's To Defend.....

I bought some IOM Vintage Cheddar the other day, from that big supermarket by the Steam Railway station.

I looked at the till receipt this morning, and it says "TT Cheese"!

(I think it is labelled that way for a couple of weeks a year. Another court case pending? - Oh aren't the Creamery Gov't owned?)

Sweety,

It's been explained many times that a trademark TT cannot be enforced.

the tt thing is only contentious when used in connection wth the races though, surelý

Edited by Barlow Strada

What other reason would there be to put TT on any product other than to associate with the races?

• Like 1

What other reason would there be to put TT on any product other than to associate with the races?

Edited by mojomonkey

Take a look at the trademark registration, I posted a link many pages back.

Then look at trademark disputes where there's just a two-letter trademark.

Tuberculine Tested .... as in milk

Ask Audi? I'm pretty sure no Audi ever ran at the TT and there's no association whatsoever and yet they seem to think TT is a good use of words as NSU was using the TT brand back in the 60's. Do you think that secretly they're trying to harness the marketing might of the DED to sell new £40k sports cars to bikers by stealing the TT logo and using it by association?

Ask Audi? I'm pretty sure no Audi ever ran at the TT and there's no association whatsoever and yet they seem to think TT is a good use of words as NSU was using the TT brand back in the 60's. Do you think that secretly they're trying to harness the marketing might of the DED to sell new £40k sports cars to bikers by stealing the TT logo and using it by association?

TT also refers to the car race of the same initials which predated the motorcycle TT by two years on the island.

NSU were actually TT winners in the 1950's as motorcycle manufacturers, they make up part of the Audi empire and their aluminium bodied cars are built at the old NSU factory in Neckarsulm for which NSU is an abreviation..

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 2

TT also refers to the car race of the same initials which predated the motorcycle TT by two years on the island.

NSU were actually TT winners in the 1950's as motorcycle manufacturers, they make up part of the Audi empire and their aluminium bodied cars are built at the old NSU factory in Neckarsulm for which NSU is an abreviation..

But they aren't doing it to sell more TT s by hijacking the TT brand it's harking back to their own heritage. The car racing stopped when? 1907? None of it supports the stupid statement Kopek made.

Rob Callister MHK (of all people?) was on the radio this morning explaining there would be no entertainment laid on at Bushy's end of the Promenade this year and it would be all-Island based.

Maybe the DED don't want the Red Arrows because it helps Bushy's TenT too much.

Edited by huddstud

Rob Callister MHK (of all people?) was on the radio this morning explaining there would be no entertainment laid on at Bushy's end of the Promenade this year and it would be all-Island based.

Maybe the DED don't want the Red Arrows because it helps Bushy's TenT too much.

What does that mean? Isn't the stage run by Bushy's? What other entertainment is down there? Apart from the fairground. Or is Mr Callister saying that Bushy's won't get a music licence for their stage?

He's just saying that the government organised entertainment will be much the same as last year but also trying to claim it as his own original idea at the same time.

For about 10 years Bushy's pub was the centre of entertainment. The entertainment was sporadic and spontaneous. And it was free. Main ingredients were beer and bikes and any other alliteration you can think of.

A wonderful formula was ended in the closing of Bushy's pub and the tent seemed that it was going to be a pale replica, but amazingly, and thankfully, it took off. The Government gravitated the free entertainment down there - stunt bikes, bands, jet engined quad (did that really happen or did I dream it?) and the place became the place to be. Everyone was happy and most of all perhaps the TT visitors.

Then someone in Government will have thought, hey, why are 'we' (like it was theirs) spending all this money to boost Bushy's business?(the question isn't rhetorical, there is a perfect valid answer but likes of DED are incapable of seeing it).

So the entertainment was moved to the Villa Marina area, complete with a beer tent. Which was fair enough. There was enough trade to spread it out a bit.

I thought this arrangement was good.

It seems DED want to kill Douglas and spread things out a bit over the Island. But they did not have enough control of Bushy's and I see Rob Callister's stance earlier in the year/this thread as being part of that. It may not be Rob Callister's idea (how could it be?) but he is the perfect - and I mean perfect - fall guy for the job.

And now he announces the Red Arrows thing.

For the DED Civil Servants, Skelly was good, but hey, Rob is even better. He'll be the Minister at the next reshuffle.

Edited by huddstud
  • Like 1