Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

40 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Scallops.

Only Irish and Scottish boats have the privilege of raping Manx waters for those sort of weights. And they ain't offloading at Peel breakwater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Only Irish and Scottish boats have the privilege of raping Manx waters for those sort of weights. And they ain't offloading at Peel breakwater.

Well they did 3 years ago , I can assure you, at all times of day and night.

Having said that, one truck would pick up the catch of several boats, no matter where they came from.

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Well they did 3 years ago , I can assure you, at all times of day and night.

Having said that, one truck would pick up the catch of several boats, no matter where they came from.

What's coming off the Manx boats these days is taken away by 7.5 tonners. I sit at the kiosk and watch them. A 44T is an artic. It wouldn't even have got turned on the breakwater. Not 3 years ago, not ever.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It seems that Mr Cubbon has landed another nice contract after him and his mates we’re bailed out over the Salisbury Street project. We are a proper Tory government it seems. 

Well, it was only ever them that would be awarded the Peel shite contract!

10 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Those good old Manx dividends seem to find their way around I hear. 

To the same good old recipients too. I'll bet a good, efficient silt-transferring pipeline, as first proposed, could be built and put in permanent place for what will be paid for work involving 3k wagon transfers. And the rest. With less pollution too.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

So it's been confirmed in Tynwald the solution for disposal of the silt in Peel Marina is going to cost the taxpayer £4m.

£4m to dispose of 40,000t -----> £100 per ton.

How much to dispose at sea?  £10 per ton max. would be my guess

Do DEFA (due to our geology) have the ability to  set acceptable level of contaminates to dispose at sea? or do we follow the UK guidelines like sheep, thus costing £3.5m more than is necessary?

But it's only tax payers cash eh? who cares.

40,000t of silt dispersed in the Irish sea is effecting nothing, where's the common sense gone? It will all end up in the sea eventually anyway!! Madness.

• Like 1

The dredging contractors are already over with more to follow tomorrow (there's one on the boat now, was talking to him at Heysham at lunchtime)

Are we now incapable of dredging our own harbours?

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Are we now incapable of dredging our own harbours?

Yes. They got rid of the old dredger for 'savings'.

Tarroo Ushtey was at the outer breakwater in Peel yesterday, I'm sure

14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Tarroo Ushtey was at the outer breakwater in Peel yesterday, I'm sure

Tarroo Ushtey isn't a dredger though.

Trevor Cowin, love him or hate him, has got a cracking letter in tonight's Indy, comparing the assurances given by Tim Baker for the last 18 months on how the silt was going to be disposed of on Cross Vein Mine to "invigorate" the mine workings surrounding areas, a solution that was "innovative, with wider environmental benefits that would avoid landfill, fitting in with the DOI's Waste Management Strategy". A solution supported by Mr Harmer at the time.

As compared to Ray Harmer's announcement on 8th January this year announcing that it's now going to be dumped at Turkeyland Quarry.

Mr Cowin claims to have raised this point questioning the DOI as to how this fits in with the Waste Management Strategy and awaits a reply... :lol:

• Like 1

Couldnt they just clean up the mine workings and dump it straight at Turkeylands rsther than waiting for it to travel down river to Peel? 

• Like 2

As the projected costs of the silt removal more than double from £2M to £5M (iomtoday/Examiner).

Any advance on £5M?

Edited by Non-Believer
Correction