Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
notwell

British Road Race Cycling Championships

It's all okay everyone, good old Rob says you and me can pick up the tab to pay for anyone having trouble getting here. Phew! Glad I could help out.

MHK urges DED to help cyclists fund IoM triphttp://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_466047.html

I didn't actually say the headline or the first paragraph - the article is totally incorrect

Yet there the article is.

They just made it up?

He'll be blaming it on a lack of media training again.

That's clearly what happens when you meet with a radio station, you tell them what's in your head, then you read it and realize that what you said makes you look like a right dick.

The Chief Minister of self publicity scores yet another own goal in the clamour to get his ugly mug in the press.

It's all okay everyone, good old Rob says you and me can pick up the tab to pay for anyone having trouble getting here. Phew! Glad I could help out.

MHK urges DED to help cyclists fund IoM triphttp://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_466047.html

I didn't actually say the headline or the first paragraph - the article is totally incorrect

They just made it up?

That's clearly what happens when you meet with a radio station, you tell them what's in your head, then you read it and realize that what you said makes you look like a right dick.

The Chief Minister of self publicity scores yet another own goal in the clamour to get his ugly mug in the press.

No, I had my Media Training Course yesterday, which was excellent - thank you

The Energy FM article was wrong and it sent out the wrong message to Cycling fans on and off the island, not to mention anyone who has to travel off island to complete in sporting events.

The British National Road Champions will be a fantastic event

You didn't say the headline? So is the Manx Radio report that you said almost exactly the same thing (that you asked the DED to assist these people) also wrong?

"In a post on Facebook, he says he has already sent an email to DED officials, urging them to look into the article and to offer help wherever possible."

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/travel-costs-to-hit-british-road-champs/

Maybe you should stop saying things to radio stations (or better still posting things on Facebook that journalists read) if you don't like them reporting what you said because it makes you look stupid?

Edited by JackCarter

You didn't say the headline? So is the Manx Radio report that you said almost exactly the same thing (that you asked the DED to assist these people) also wrong?

"In a post on Facebook, he says he has already sent an email to DED officials, urging them to look into the article and to offer help wherever possible."http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/travel-costs-to-hit-british-road-champs/

Maybe you should stop saying things to radio stations (or better still posting things on Facebook that journalists read) if you don't like them reporting what you said because it makes you look stupid?

My post said, I had asked DED officers to offer help wherever possible - i.e to look at the costs, find hotels and travel etc

I certainly did not offer to pay for teams coming to the Isle of Man.

"In a post on Facebook, he says he has already sent an email to DED officials, urging them to look into the article and to offer help wherever possible."http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/travel-costs-to-hit-british-road-champs/

My post said, I had asked DED officers to offer help wherever possible - i.e to look at the costs, find hotels and travel etc

You might want to retake that media training.

• Like 1

How long before this event has to go ahead, at ANY expense, just to save face and embarrassment?

• Like 1

A politician takes the time to discuss on this forum and we just lay into him. The next thing will be that we are complaining that politicians don't engage once they are elected.

As I see it Rob has tried to answer questions asked but some are being a little unreasonable.

• Like 1

I didn't realize the DED were travel agents who help cyclists with getting good deals on bookings?

How else did you think "assist" would be interpreted?

Are you sure you have had media training?

• Like 1

A politician takes the time to discuss on this forum and we just lay into him. The next thing will be that we are complaining that politicians don't engage once they are elected.

As I see it Rob has tried to answer questions asked but some are being a little unreasonable.

I don't think so. He loves the sound of his own voice and simply can't help himself when his ego won't let him lose face. You don't even have to hand him a shovel and he happily digs a hole for himself.

They just made it up?

No, I had my Media Training Course yesterday, which was excellent - thank you

The Energy FM article was wrong and it sent out the wrong message to Cycling fans on and off the island, not to mention anyone who has to travel off island to complete in sporting events.

The British National Road Champions will be a fantastic event

Rob, never miss an opportunity to shut the fuck up

How long before this event has to go ahead, at ANY expense, just to save face and embarrassment?

I think that's worrying a bit too much. I would never underestimate the ability of the DED to spunk money away without reason, but I think it pretty likely that the event will go ahead whatever. The top teams will still be coming and the only suggestion so far is that some of the lower-ranked women's teams (there is less money in the women's sport) may be sending fewer people than they would if the event was nearer to them. It will hit the revenue from entry fees a bit, but it's not fatal.

In actual fact the danger of over-spending probably lies on the organisational side, rather than in helping the competitors and their back-up teams. British Cycling isn't the most scandal-free organisation at the moment and there are a number of odd things about the way the event is organised such as the enormous amount that is paid to produce the TV coverage (I thought it was the TV companies that paid to cover popular events, not the other way round). You also wonder how the lucky production company is chosen.

Then there's the long-established tradition of looking after visiting sporting officials very well (sod the competitors) as seen for many years at the TT and so on. It will be interesting to see if the estimated £100k cost is exceeded and if so why (that budget I linked to earlier in the thread is a useful benchmark).

The most mysterious thing about the whole situation is why the announcement of the Isle of Man as the venue was made so late - 5 months before the event, rather than 14 the previous year. There must be the suspicion that no one else wanted it for some reason.

Rob - why should DED look to find hotels and travel deals? All DED need to do is refer folk to www.visitisleofman.com ...... the private sector will then take care of the rest.

You should be more concerned about policy, in particular the lack of visitor accommodation and support services.

Roger, I believe they bid for the year Stockton got it, last year, but were encouraged to bid again. In doing so they were told to 'prove' themselves by hosting the Manx International GP last year which incidentally was quite a success, in hosting and in spectators. Let's not forget the IOM has a rich history in cycling so seems a logical step to bid for this. Certainly helps when we have world recognised cycling stars.

Also, fairly certain the course won't be along the prom. Couple of laps of the TT course with a number of circuits I believe round Willaston. That should upset GeeCee/ Open Roads no end..

• Like 2