A Special Place to Live and Work. Discuss

John Wright

personal allowance credit slashed

raised hopes by saýingvincome tax personal allowance was to be raise to £14k+, never häppened

toilet tax is a blänket tax thät,obviously, hits the less well off more

the guy was, apparently, a banker. same club as laẃyers ænd acĉountants.and he was mäde treaßury minißter ffs

Edited by Barlow Strada
  • Like 1

To be fair, he hit the middle earners too. The privileged top end remained pretty unscathed. I wonder if they include the Quayles and Andersons of this world...just a thought..

To be fair, he hit the middle earners too. The privileged top end remained pretty unscathed. I wonder if they include the Quayles and Andersons of this world...just a thought..

It would make little difference. People earning 100k plus make up at most 5% of the work force.

Could be less. Maybe a couple of percent. I don know for sure. I thought i heard a few yeas ago a statistic that antone earning overy 50k was in the top 8% of earners but I might be mistaken.

The point being that raising taxes needs to be done across everyone. Taxing high earners achieves little because there are not that many of them.

What interests me, and this is purely hypothetical, is that persons in receipt of both Govt salaries and considerable uplifts in respect of Govt grants for their businesses might also be able to even legally avoid paying tax on it or even be entitled to our HNW preferential tax rate? WTF? Lots of leadership there then, potentially, what's the chances of that being addressed?!

It dawned on me this morning having driven down a road which nearly took the bottom out of my car, and past multiple eyesores and derelicts, would the IOM make you think it was a thriving economy where lots of wealthy people lived !

It sure wouldn't but it did make me think of one simplistic question ? Where the hell has the millions upon millions of pounds government have received over the past thirty or so years gone. I am afraid we look like any run down northern UK town interspersed with lovely countryside !

• Like 6

Far too much has been spent on "friends", "consultants", flawed and failed projects and huge pensions and payoffs to those entitled to such in the times of plenty. Unfortunately, the entitlements remain now harder times are upon us. Funding them is now the elephant.

• Like 8

Means Lord Lisvane.

I'm sure Quayle won't want to go there, not after listening to his amateurish blusterings to the man*.

(I think the poster mixed up with Lord Levison - as in public inquiry into the press after the News of the World thing. He graced these shores with his esteemed presence too.

I think he is a bit of a buffoon, as senior judges and lawmen often are. He gave a speech to the Isle of Man Law Society and just read off a piece of paper. The Society could have saved a few bob and just put up a Skype link, or just a Youtube recording, or just handed out copies of his sheet of paper. It was a waste of an evening but the canapes were nice)

*I though Lord Lisvane was an ok-ish sort of bloke. I doubt he swears or uses bad language but I bet when someone told him "that Mr Quayle who gave evidence on the Isle of Man - well he's been made Chief Minister", well I bet Lisvane said words to the effect of "fack me, you're 'avin a larf aintcha"

Edited by gettafa

Means Lord Lisvane.

I'm sure Quayle won't want to go there, not after listening to his amateurish blusterings to the man*.

Listened to his winding up of the "Special Place to Live" debate today by the Chief Minister - amateurish blustering very much to the fore. No dynamism, flourish, vision or commitment. Bell would have taken the chance to put in a show stopping performance - this was after all the plan for the future of the Island and this Government for five years.

Speeches made by the new backbenchers were a much better listen.

• Like 1