Huge Meat Plant Loss

You advocate letting the local industry wither?

No. But I believe it will unless it goes for 'premium' branding - including 'premium' export.

Survivability depends upon it being economically self sustainable without artificial protections.

We've seen the panic after a couple of days of no boat.

Never any panic here. We've got flour and a sack of rice.

Edited by pongo
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty much,    there are too many farmers/farms  for modern working practices on this little island.  add to that the cash hungry white elephant of a meat plant,  cheaper imported meat etc etc,  and

are any of the government owned enterprises making a profit? also is this the only slaughterhouse on the island? Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)?

Take the money off them to help them get their self respect back by producing what they are capable of. Or does that only work for the disabled?

You advocate letting the local industry wither?

No. But I believe it will unless it goes for 'premium' branding - including 'premium' export.

Survivability depends upon it being economically self sustainable without artificial protections.

We've seen the panic after a couple of days of no boat.

Never any panic here. We've got flour and a sack of rice.

Yes but have you got enough of the real essentials like bog rolls?

• Like 1

Imports or exports both involve energy costs. But we need to do a lot of both on a small island.

The self sufficiency argument is fundamentally flawed, both on a cost and product basis. Other than a few basic foodstuffs - 90% of what we consume is imported.

Where do you draw the line on this? What's next a state funded clothes factory?

90% of what we consume is imported - but it doesn't have to be. The economics would be better with greater uptake.

Clothes? You don't need to buy new ones to wear every day at short notice.

Well that's you sorted, but I'm talking about the great unwashed.

If you cared about great unwashed you wouldn't be arguing that they should pay more for the daily supply chain basics. We've been here before with your arguments about factory bread.

The sustainability of local production surely depends on it realising a higher than basics price, including at export, without artificial protections. That's only sustainable if it's a 'premium' brand which people are happy to pay more for.

Edited by pongo

OK. Let 'em have the cheap imported stuff now and let 'em starve when the supply dries up and our industries no longer exist. Why worry?

What about medicines? You'll always be importing medicine. This argument about a supply of beef / lamb / mutton should also include vegetables, drinks etc.

Certainly all the varieties we can grow, yes. Yes we will import all kinds of things. Obviously we can't be self-sufficient on an Island this size with anything like the population it has, but the more we can do for ourselves the better, practically, economically and strategically.

• Like 1

I'm all for food security but surely the farmers should produce what is required and where there is a demand. 40,000 sheep are slaughtered each year at the meat plant. That's approximately half a lamb per person per year. I sure as hell don't eat that much lamb and I'm sure a lot of others don't neither. Even without cheaper imports I doubt the demand is there. Therefore why are the farmers over producing lamb that is surplus to requirements?

Not all meat is of the same quality so are the farmers asking what will sell? Or are they just producing what they want because they know the meat plant have to accept them?

I think the farmers have to take some responsibility instead of constantly complaining that their hand outs aren't enough or they aren't getting paid enough for a product nobody wants.

• Like 1

They should also put a restriction on imported meat.

A protected market is nearly always the worst option.

Today, in most places, the local food product - and food which proudly annouces its source - is a premium item sold at higher prices. Sold in typically smaller quantities to people who are prepared to pay for a premium product. There is no reason why the IOM should be any different. It should be a premium product.

But the factory / supply chain product should also be available for those who want to pay less. This represents the best of both options.

The worst option would be to pay premium prices for a non premium product produced to supply chain minimums as a result of protections.

but have we really got a premium product?? it might be nice to say it was home grown but that doesn't mean it is top quality, it may be the best we can produce but if a better product can be Imported for half the price ?? I'm not saying what we grow isn't top quality, but it is a sliding scale, not everything that gets a grade gets TQ, but back when we had regulation of imports, even the lowest quality meat in the butchers was still more expensive than decent quality stuff over the water. it was all there was so pockets were emptied. same with veg and salad, manx grown organic lettuce was terrible, the insect livestock feasting on it meant it was not fit for use long before a sell by date would take effect.

Manx meat is not a premium product. It is inconsistent due to an inconsistent supply chain. The farmers are not forward thinking.

Anybody that thinks Isle of Man meat is of a higher welfare standard than anywhere else is wrong.

Manx farmers only became farm assured years after it was industry standard in the uk.

• Like 2