Huge Meat Plant Loss

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty much,    there are too many farmers/farms  for modern working practices on this little island.  add to that the cash hungry white elephant of a meat plant,  cheaper imported meat etc etc,  and

are any of the government owned enterprises making a profit? also is this the only slaughterhouse on the island? Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)?

Take the money off them to help them get their self respect back by producing what they are capable of. Or does that only work for the disabled?

You can have fast-growing big and bulky continental breeds, most of which are in reality glorified oxen, eg; Charolais, Limousin, Aquataine and Belgian Blue, or you can have the generally smaller, slower growing beef breeds like Hereford, Shorthorn, Aberdeen Angus, Galloway, or Ayrshire. The real beef breeds are better suited to living outdoors and yield very tasty marbled beef, good for steaks and roasts. Unfortunately, agricultural policies have for many years rewarded farmers for producing quantity rather than quality. Those days are gone and are not going to return. The only way for smaller producers to compete is to develop a reputation, or brand, based on quality, that the consumer will pay a premium for. Its a bit late in the day for Manx farmers to accept this obvious fact, but they could still turn things around. Sadly, in most cases they think they know better than the consumer. They need to understand that customers and chefs at the best London restaurants just don't ask for Charolais or Limousin steaks, they want Aberdeen Angus or Hereford. In the long run even the biggest Manx producers just don't have the economies of scale to compete at the cheap end of the market, so why bother? There are a number of really good producers on the island, but not enough to establish a reputation for the island as a whole. There has to be some sort of tie-in between subsidies and quality.

• Like 6

Is it not time that the biggest retailer started to sell manx meat, you would think the farmers would be exerting pressure but not a peep.

Also why do we hear nothing from the gov dept on the same subject.

According to this report Tesco stopped selling Manx meat because:

Tesco said the decision was taken to "maintain food safety standards"

The govt got involved and Tesco started selling Manx meat. But then, according to this news report, Isle of Man Meats decided to stop supplying Tesco because the cost of meeting the Tesco standard was too high. It wasn't about Tesco not wanting to sell it, according to the news report.

Isle of Man Meats has taken a decision to suspend the supply to the supermarket saying the substantial cost of preparing it to the retailers standards is 'unsustainable'.

The company believes additional costs generated by servicing Tesco could increase the price of Manx meat for all local consumers.

Manx meat had been off the shelves for almost a year at the Douglas store after an unsatisfactory audit of the meat plant.

Manx meat supply to Tesco stopped

Edited by pongo

The govn spent money to bring the meat plant up to Tesco standards and then i seem to remember they refused to supply them as not worth the bother, the exact reason i dont recall. Regardless the gov should be addressing this as i get sick of seeing the imported products

The govn spent money to bring the meat plant up to Tesco standards and then i seem to remember they refused to supply them as not worth the bother, the exact reason i dont recall. Regardless the gov should be addressing this as i get sick of seeing the imported products

I would have thought that if IOM Meats had operated to high standards at all times, that they would still be supplying Tesco now.

When the sh*t ( or whatever it was ) hit the fan and Tesco said "stop", customers who had previously bought Manx meat, then found equal or better quality meat on Tesco's shelves. ( I was one of them ).

When the meat plant started again to supply Tesco we had already found a better and cheaper product. That's my view anyway.

Considering it's fairly new and the huge sums of money thrown at it year upon year one has to wonder how it was not up to the required standards.

• Like 3

Considering it's fairly new and the huge sums of money thrown at it year upon year one has to wonder how it was not up to the required standards.

I think they fitted a metal detector, not that i ever found any metal in the meat from Shoprite,

Iom meats decided not to supply Tesco for two reasons.

1. Costs of supplying Tesco. Same levels of capability are required for all Tesco suppliers whether they supply millions of pounds worth of meat per week, or a few grands worth. Economies of scale. That is why Tesco only has a very small amount of businesses supplying their meat.

2. Iom farmers were not willing to comply with the codes of practice require for all farmers supplying Tesco.

1. Costs of supplying Tesco. Same levels of capability are required for all Tesco suppliers whether they supply millions of pounds worth of meat per week, or a few grands worth. Economies of scale. That is why Tesco only has a very small amount of businesses supplying their meat.

2. Iom farmers were not willing to comply with the codes of practice require for all farmers supplying Tesco.

so manx meat is shit? can't even meet tesco standards.....

Tesco has very high standards to meet and there is nothing wrong with Manx meat.

It is/was the preparation and presentation that was substandard.

Tesco has very high standards to meet and there is nothing wrong with Manx meat.

It is/was the preparation and presentation that was substandard.

One of the problems is that not all stick to the meat plant meats the specification required. When all your customers ask for top quality but you don't have enough to go round, what do you do?