Huge Meat Plant Loss

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pretty much,    there are too many farmers/farms  for modern working practices on this little island.  add to that the cash hungry white elephant of a meat plant,  cheaper imported meat etc etc,  and

are any of the government owned enterprises making a profit? also is this the only slaughterhouse on the island? Is it there to make IOM meat cheaper (by carrying the costs of compliant slaughter)?

Take the money off them to help them get their self respect back by producing what they are capable of. Or does that only work for the disabled?

The average meat eater consumes 7000 animals over their lifetime. Quite an astonishing figure that, wouldn't you say?

Which orrifice did that number come from?? it must include prawns or whitebait or something cos based on 60 years eating meat that is just over 3 days per animal. Dooable with poultry but not lamb,pork or beef.

The average person will chomp down on 7,000 animals during their lives, according to the Vegetarian Calculator.

It breaks down to 11 cows, 27 pigs, 2,400 chickens, 80 turkeys, 30 sheep and 4,500 fish, according to the group...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/03/11/meat-eaters-animals-lifetime/70136010/

I can imagine some fat, wall-eyed Yank getting through all that. Some of those rednecks never lost the infantile ability to breathe and swallow at the same time.

Still is as far as I know, commercial reality is that you order 20 breasts and get the imported pre-pack. Most butchers find it hard to compete with the imported birds and cuts ( and do not try). If you want whole birds, go to Shoprite orTesco!

PS. Pertinent to the above figures of animal consumption, a chicken is about 8 weeks old when it hits your plate, 10 weeks, bigger but tougher, that's why sometimes the breasts in the pack are cut down in size!

Great life huh? There are a few MFers could do with culling after 10 weeks?

Edited by Kopek

Still is as far as I know, commercial reality is that you order 20 breasts and get the imported pre-pack. Most butchers find it hard to compete with the imported birds and cuts ( and do not try).

I don't understand why people buy chicken breasts. It's the worst bit, with the least flavour.

....but the most tender and quickest to cook. If we are to wean people off ready meals then this is the way to go, 10 mins instead of 40 for thighs, the most flavoursome.

I'm with Private Frazer on this..... there's nothing better than "big, strong thighs"!

• Like 1