Who Inspired you?

goddess

Someone who inspired you probably made you want to do the same as them, or be the same as them.

This is too strong.

I can state very strongly that David Attenborough has inspired me - that inspiration has nothing to do with wanting to do the same as him or even be the same as him.

The Dao is far more subtle.

One of my strongest memories of Attenborough wasn't some amazing photography from the wilds of Africa with breathless commentary, it was him behind a desk showing fossils and pointing out the changes in jaws and shells over time.

The inspiration is that of life-long effort, an understanding that it's complicated and that details matter.

I got a similar inspiration from my house master - Mr Young - but he in no way inspired me to be a French teacher (D on first attempt - he coached me to a C second time round) or to become responsible in very opaque terms to the life development of a large number of children.

I don't think anyone has inspired me, there are people I admire and some who have been directly influential. Inspiration, IMHO, implies being led to do something extraordinary either personally or for the wider benefit.

Never being inspired by someone sounds a little sad, Gladys.

Educationally or occupationally, I've never been on the higher planes of either of the Wright boys on here, but my simple family list was genuine and without par. The way people handle their lives and see and address the needs of others is inspiring.

But I suppose that lesser inspiration was work-wise. One of my employers when I was young who was absolutely excellent in her field and had created a much respected business for herself and I was inspired to try and reach the same level of excellence.

Elsewhere, since childhood I always I found Leonardo da Vinci deeply inspiring. His brain was incredible. When I visited his house/museum I got goose bumps walking on the same wooden floor that his feet had tread. Now that is a bit sad ;-)

No, not sad Addie, just that I do not think that what is being discussed is inspiration. As I said, inspiration to me is something that leads you to pursue something extraordinary either personally or for the wider benefit, like meeting an exacting physical challenge, painting the most beautiful picture, writing the most enthralling book, to hunt for the cure to an illness, to seek the answer to the universe. If someone feels that another person has stimulated them in their pursuit of achievement, then that is inspirational. Achieving it is, I grant you, not a prerequisite of being inspired.

I could admire, regard and be influenced in how I live, work and react with my family by numerous people, parents, friends, etc. but that is not inspiration, it is influence and example.

Elsewhere, since childhood I always I found Leonardo da Vinci deeply inspiring. His brain was incredible. When I visited his house/museum I got goose bumps walking on the same wooden floor that his feet had tread. Now that is a bit sad ;-)

To be fair, it's a bit sad and pseuds corner.

• Like 1

Brave people

Talented people

Kind people

My parents

My children

Can't say that any particular person has "inspired" me but I have time/respect for independent , brave and talented folk who are 'kind' which is , IMHO, a very underrated quality.

Many have identified particular individuals who have inspired them ............. to do what exactly? ...... serious questionflowers.gif

I could admire, regard and be influenced in how I live, work and react with my family by numerous people, parents, friends, etc. but that is not inspiration, it is influence and example.

Of course there is influence, guidance and example, but these can also be negative.

Inspiration is surely a very positive thing?

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the response to a genuine thread by a relatively new poster.

Who have you been inspired by. Are people really so curmudgeonly as to say they've not been inspired?

Not by Nelson Mandela, or Muhammed Ali, or Martin Luther King?

Not by John Lennon, or a piece of Bach.

The world contains lots of inspirational people and I find it fascinating to read Gladys and Wrighty pooh pooh suggestions they might find something in this world worthy of the word inspirational.

Daevid Allen

I'm gonna add Frank Zappa to this, not because they inspired me to play music, but to have so much bloody fun doing so!

Thinking about it even more, it's not even the fun thing, loads of musicians are and inspire a level of fun, with these guys its the silliness. I watched a Frank Zappa VHS tape when I was about 12 called 'Does humour belong in music?', and that was that.

My father who had a very conventional upbringing, fought in WW2, and became disillusioned by convention and developed his own deeply idiosyncratic approach to life. My mum died when I was 7 and my sister was 4. He brought us up as a single parent, exposed us to ideas, challenges, and extensive travel all over the UK and Europe. He opened our minds to philosophy, ideas, art, culture and most of all acceptance and public service.

If I'm in a quandary I ask myself what he would do in the same circumstances. I'm pretty sure he would have got it right, I know I don't always achieve that.

• Like 1

Not by Nelson Mandela, or Muhammed Ali, or Martin Luther King?

I nearly said Nelson Mandela. Or at least the song or the idea of Nelson Mandela. But it would only have been sneered at be by you or your fellow illiberal travellers so what's the point.