Bringing a puppy to the IOM

3v0

Afternoon.

We are seriously thinking about incorporating a dog into our family, does anyone happen to know what the rules are with bringing a puppy over from the uk? re: vaccinations, microchipped etc?

From my research so far it seems all reputable breeders have this all in order as required by the law in the UK.

But is there a specific list of requirements to meet before bringing the aforementioned mutt over?

Thank you muchly!

p.s Just to get it out there, in case anyone is feeling "judgy" :-) I would personally prefer a rescue dog however we have a couple of perfectly valid reasons why we are choosing a puppy.

Edited by 3v0

No rules as yet, but they are coming by April as all dogs here will need to be micro chipped and the old dog tax/disc is being abolished.

There are no actual rules in UK as to vaccinations either, only if crossing international borders under PETS passport scheme

• Like 1

Thanks John,

Thats ok then, the Microchip rule is consistent with the UK so they will need that anyway.

Just want to make sure I don't plan for everything else then turn up at the docks to be turned away.

No rules as yet, but they are coming by April as all dogs here will need to be micro chipped and the old dog tax/disc is being abolished.

There are no actual rules in UK as to vaccinations either, only if crossing international borders under PETS passport scheme

FFS only a matter of time before we all need to be microchipped too. Oh sorry. No need. We already have our smartphones.

I just wish they would DNA test the copious amounts of shit they / their owners leave around the IOM. To go out for a walk to town in castletown at the moment I need to wear wellies.

(some of them could very well have been the owners)

• Like 1

just be aware of the SPCo limitations for carrying dogs. On Manannan they have to stay in the vehicle on the car deck.

On Ben my Chree, if they stay in a vehicle they are carried free, if you want to take them 'on deck' there is a charge of £10 but are restricted to either the 'dog area' (maximum now seems to be 6 dogs) or one of only 2 dog cabins (extra)

The dog area has recently been refurbished but there is a lot of adverse comment about the tip-up cinema style seating which is uncomfortable to spend 4hrs in.

We often find we are limited as to when we can travel due to unavailability of capacity for dogs, not wanting to leave them on the car deck (not knowing whether they will be parked out on the open deck in full sun or rain, or noisy, car alarms going off all the way etc)

You might like to have a look at the 'Dogs Welcome (IoM)' f/b group for other comments

• Like 1

Thanks Tempus,

I would probably book a cabin to be honest, however the sea cat one is interesting, wouldn't fancy leaving him / her in the car on their own for their first trip home.

As it happens we don't go away too much to the UK, and if we do it's usually planned well in advance.

just be aware of the SPCo limitations for carrying dogs. On Manannan they have to stay in the vehicle on the car deck.

On Ben my Chree, if they stay in a vehicle they are carried free, if you want to take them 'on deck' there is a charge of £10 but are restricted to either the 'dog area' (maximum now seems to be 6 dogs) or one of only 2 dog cabins (extra)

The dog area has recently been refurbished but there is a lot of adverse comment about the tip-up cinema style seating which is uncomfortable to spend 4hrs in.

We often find we are limited as to when we can travel due to unavailability of capacity for dogs, not wanting to leave them on the car deck (not knowing whether they will be parked out on the open deck in full sun or rain, or noisy, car alarms going off all the way etc)

You might like to have a look at the 'Dogs Welcome (IoM)' f/b group for other comments

I purchased our dog (then pup) from the UK. Met the owners (and pup's parents), vaccination information, microchips, paperwork etc. I asked them to purchase a dog carrier in advance (which they did, and I'd pay for).

Fairly seamless process. When I got back, registered with the vet and booked a quick checkup.

• Like 1