Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

Deepwater for Cruise Ships

12 hours ago, gettafa said:

@IOMSA

From previous posts on this thread, Isle of Man Shipping Association would appear to support the maxim "Build it and they will come". There may be something in that. I would like to think so.

Although using a public forum such as MF can be a double-edged sword, they might be interested to further open a discussion here?

Didn't Ms Reynolds say something like "Build it and they will come", when she was pushing for her runway extension?    (Have they come yet?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SJR said:

I have not read through the usual shit but I do know that the average cruise passenger spends £7 when they come ashore.I am not a rocket scientist but work out how many passengers you would need to have to even justify a probable £70 million build..

It’s true. I’ve done a few cruises now and I’d never class myself as a big spender when I go ashore. This is even more so if the ship is alongside rather than tendered, as you can pop back for lunch. 

This is a great idea, but like a lot of big capital projects, the reality and romance need firmly separating.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gettafa said:

Is that cable actually used anyway?

They could have used it supply electricity to the Island but doing that would have meant the crooks wouldn't have got away with all those £100millions on the New Power Station/gas pipeline.

And if it supplied data we wouldn't all be getting ripped by Manx Telecom

As i understand it, they import it at about 5p a unit and sell it to you and me for 16p. At times when the uk is short, they generate our own and export power for a very good return.

So you can have a fully staffed power station importing power and no generators running.  The staff just monitor the distribution. 

12 hours ago, SJR said:

I have not read through the usual shit but I do know that the average cruise passenger spends £7 when they come ashore.I am not a rocket scientist but work out how many passengers you would need to have to even justify a probable £70 million build..

you forget iomg get a set amount through the common purse agreement for every visitor, it was £50 per visitor in 2005.....

Cargo Cults

Maybe building a life size replica of a cruise ship out of seaweed and straw would help to attract more.

The name derives from the belief which began among Melanesians in the late 19th and early 20th century that various ritualistic acts such as the building of an airplane runway will result in the appearance of material wealth, particularly highly desirable Western goods (i.e., "cargo"), via Western airplanes.

Cargo cults often develop during a combination of crises. Under conditions of social stress, such a movement may form under the leadership of a charismatic figure. This leader may have a "vision" (or "myth-dream") of the future

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

you forget iomg get a set amount through the common purse agreement for every visitor, it was £50 per visitor in 2005.....

Please show me where that is written.

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Please show me where that is written.

Despite this, in a Tynwald debate in December 2005, the Minister for Tourism and Leisure revealed that every visitor to Mann from the UK, even if only on a day visit, was worth £50 to the Isle of Man Treasury in additional Common Purse allowance.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Purse_Agreement

2 hours ago, woody2 said:

Offer the cruise ships a tenner a head for each passenger that sets foot on Mann. Hey! £40 profit straight away.

(Or has the Isle of Man already tried those sort of tactics and got sussed. Managed to get many £100millions out of it though)

13 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Offer the cruise ships a tenner a head for each passenger that sets foot on Mann. Hey! £40 profit straight away.

(Or has the Isle of Man already tried those sort of tactics and got sussed. Managed to get many £100millions out of it though)

i said before the only gain will be the vat, the question is for how long before the agreement is changed leaving taxpayers with a massive bill.....

14 hours ago, gettafa said:

Is that cable actually used anyway?

They could have used it supply electricity to the Island but doing that would have meant the crooks wouldn't have got away with all those £100millions on the New Power Station/gas pipeline.

And if it supplied data we wouldn't all be getting ripped by Manx Telecom

afaik - the cable is used a lot, for months at a time when the gast turbines are undergoing maintenance the Island runs solely on the interconnector cable, so it is crucial it is safeguarded. I don't know if there is much export these days, there used to be times in the day when the UK grid price was high that it was profitable to export for the peak demand, but not sure if that's still the case (will have to ask my mole !)