Deepwater for Cruise Ships

On 8/13/2019 at 5:42 PM, dilligaf said:

Didn’t it go all soggy .?.......sorry

Did you name it Victoria ?

That's a SECRET!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Belfast’s dockyards built stuff like the Titanic. It’s a pretty deep port suited to cruisers which already has a lot of big freight activity. It wouldn't need the sort of crazy investment we’re taking about. The “upgrade” only cost £500k according to that article. We couldn’t even put a pavement in on anything for £500K. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The politicians love to flaunt themselves on these cruise liners as they bob about in the bay. I wonder what say when people ask "what is that white patch emanating from the Bay?"

Edited by gettafa
  • Haha 1

£500,000 is a good investment for Belfast, even it fails to achieve anything it won't break the bank. 

Remind me again how much the projected costs here are ? utter madness !!

26 minutes ago, asitis said:

£500,000 is a good investment for Belfast, even it fails to achieve anything it won't break the bank. 

Remind me again how much the projected costs here are ? utter madness !!

£500k seems a fair investment for Belfast. But then they have so much more to offer visitors than the Isle of Man does. They have actual culture rather than a few stuffy museums, rickety old trams and some tourist tat.

• Like 1

If the costs were only £500k the Belfast development clearly didn't have to purchase anything from Peel Ports... :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If the costs were only £500k the Belfast development clearly didn't have to purchase anything from Peel Ports... :lol:

...... or pay their legal costs ........ "oh no we didn't" ............   Taxpayers .. "oh yes you did " !!!

• Like 1

A common sense into the long term viability needs to be undertaken by non-politicians.

Either that or " put a sod on their chmberly pots"!!!

Mollag Band.

Maybe one of the boats could be sucked into the voids under the prom?

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

The politicians love to flaunt themselves on these cruise liners as they bob about in the bay. I wonder what say when people ask "what is that patch emanating from the Bay?"

The whole “business” case around the cruse terminal is absolute bullshit. I’ve never heard to much bullshit in my whole life being talked by so many accomplished bullshitters.  Saw some comments in another thread which suggest it smacks of desperation and I’d say that’s close to the mark. Our tourist industry is in the toilet and has been for so long that they can’t even take credit for anything any more as the numbers are just bollocks and still going down so best invest tens of millions of pounds in this load of old shite just so we can employ more civil servants in MNH to collect £2 entry fees on sites that lose money from more cruise passengers. It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So what can the man in the street do to stop these idiots passing this disaster and spending money that is needed in health services and education ?

Can we all protest somehow or all agree to just not vote at all in the next election?

We have to do something , as obviously they are out of control and the so called upper house are still asleep.

one upper house member is actually asking about what we are doing about artificial intelligence. They don’t have real intelligence, let alone artificial 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

I'd say it's in similar vein to the news today that they've given Dandara the go ahead for 280+ houses and the bypass in Ballasalla. 190 jobs to be created is the claim, plus those in supply.

No.  190 plus others on the dole if it doesn't go ahead. That's what it's about, the construction industry is the only thing keeping the private economy afloat over here at the moment, I'd say. Completely state sponsored and encouraged with no regard as to what the fallout will be to the housing market in the future.

Whoever's got the land that Govt will have to buy (announced) to facilitate the bypass access roundabout/junction is going to be quids in though. Name your price.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The whole “business” case around the cruse terminal is absolute bullshit. I’ve never heard to much bullshit in my whole life being talked by so many accomplished bullshitters.  Saw some comments in another thread which suggest it smacks of desperation and I’d say that’s close to the mark. Our tourist industry is in the toilet and has been for so long that they can’t even take credit for anything any more as the numbers are just bollocks and still going down so best invest tens of millions of pounds in this load of old shite just so we can employ more civil servants in MNH to collect £2 entry fees on sites that lose money from more cruise passengers. It’s pretty much communist business logic similar to keeping workers in employment on state farms at all costs. 

Just the same as the airport was .... Common Sense isn't at all common !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

£500k seems a fair investment for Belfast. But then they have so much more to offer visitors than the Isle of Man does. They have actual culture rather than a few stuffy museums, rickety old trams and some tourist tat.

Sadly you are correct. Was in Liverpool a few days ago and there was a huge cruise ship on the dock. I just thought to myself, what have we got to offer that would compare to Liverpool or Belfast ? The answer came back...………………….nothing. 

I love the place of my birth, but as wonderful as my island is, there is nothing here for cruise passengers. That is it...……..Nothing.

We can not spend one single pound trying to attract people when we have nothing to offer.

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 1

It seems to me if they want to attract people to visit then subsidise the steam racket ! Let people bring their cars and explore for a few days and see if what we have is for them ! at least then its a sort of money go round !

• Like 1

10 hours ago, asitis said:

Just the same as the airport was .... Common Sense isn't at all common

At least the Airport allows us to escape from the sheer madness of it all on the rare occasions we can afford to! 

The Cruise Ship Terminal is just a massive folly that will severe nobody apart from a couple of ships once or twice a year. The rest would have been able to dock here anyway.