Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fatshaft

So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Irish citizens have had free movement in UK, CI and IOM, and vice versa within the Common Travel Area established in 1923 so that is not an issue.

But what is "free movement"? I would guess it's the right to live and work in different jurisdiction as well as travel there. Does CTA cover that?

7 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

But what is "free movement"? I would guess it's the right to live and work in different jurisdiction as well as travel there. Does CTA cover that?

Yes. Work, claim benefits just as though you were native. Goes back to the shake out when Irish Free State left the UK.

50 minutes ago, woolley said:

If you've self-analysed and recognised that much then it's half the battle. There are mutual help groups to assist your further progress.

A very predictable response from a brexiteer that completely ignores the central tenet.

But then I suppose you have to.

So Woolster in 2018 how many weeks did you spend in the UK?

• Thanks 1

I don't see how it's possible to be in favour of brexit yet against the re-unification of ireland. Or against scottish or welsh independence. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Edited by the stinking enigma
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I don't see how it's possible to be in favour of brexit yet against the re-unification of ireland. Or against scottish or welsh independence. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Shush now...or you will confuse them.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

No. Project Fear has poisoned the atmosphere, so there is no reason not to ride that sentiment and profit from it. Later on, when the market turns you ride it back the other way and double your profit in returning to the status quo ante. That's how business and the markets work.

A price worth paying, eh Margaret? The short, if not longer, term damage to the economy and our international reputation in tatters, potentially thousands of jobs lost, the danger of re-igniting conflict in Ireland and all in the name of the few turning a quick buck.

Genius. No wonder JRM is so keen to get us out of the EU.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, b4mbi said:

If the UK government just state that they will not under any circumstances reinstate a hard border in Ireland, doesn't that leave the EU with the problem? Would the EU force Ireland to erect a hard border? Doubt it.

Would lead to effectively a border at the ports and airports on the UK mainland for goods.

If UK Government also offers to guarantee free movement of people for Irish citizens? Don't think mainland British people are massively concerned about free movement/right to work in mainland UK of Irish people??

Northern Ireland voted majority remain in EU, so can't UK Government grant free movement of people to EU citizens within Northern Ireland only??

If it means changing the constitutional relationship of Northern Ireland to the mainland UK to secure that arrangement, then put that to vote of NI people.

Probably missing some massive point why this can't be done....

not missing anything........

they already have free movement which is staying.....

the goods thing isn't a problem....... its tracked by vat......

animals/ farm produce....... at the moment they have to fill in paperwork online....... random stop checks happen........so that's not a problem either.......

once a fta was in place (which should of been done first) all of the problems would be solved......

its a issue that is completely manufactured row by the incompetent eu.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ballaughbiker said:

How?

because unlike you i have a brain......

so have you any evidence or not.......

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not missing anything........

they already have free movement which is staying.....

the goods thing isn't a problem....... its tracked by vat......

animals/ farm produce....... at the moment they have to fill in paperwork online....... random stop checks happen........so that's not a problem either.......

once a fta was in place (which should of been done first) all of the problems would be solved......

its a issue that is completely manufactured row by the incompetent eu.....

Cobblers.

The DUP will not allow any differences between themselves and the rest of the UK.

So no NI constitutional changes are possible.

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

A price worth paying, eh Margaret? The short, if not longer, term damage to the economy and our international reputation in tatters, potentially thousands of jobs lost, the danger of re-igniting conflict in Ireland and all in the name of the few turning a quick buck.

Genius. No wonder JRM is so keen to get us out of the EU.

it never went away........

1 minute ago, woody2 said:

So that's a good reason to stoke it up again?

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Cobblers.

The DUP will not allow any differences between themselves and the rest of the UK.

So no NI constitutional changes are possible.

little miss shouty has turned up with nothing to say shocker.......

Just now, Non-Believer said:

So that's a good reason to stoke it up again?

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

A very predictable response from a brexiteer that completely ignores the central tenet.

But then I suppose you have to.

So Woolster in 2018 how many weeks did you spend in the UK?

Not as many as I spent in other countries. Why?

56 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

That would mean you don't understand the value of the United Kingdom to the British, or the difference between it and the EU.