Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fatshaft

So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

That was a little blunder, known as a blunderette. It should read:

"Still, it's well worth looking stupid on QT for an MEP's wedge plus X's...."

 

Ah. Right. I thought it was more BBC largesse. So what's the £45k then?

Edited by woolley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, woolley said:

Ah. Right. I thought it was more BBC largesse. So what's the £45k then?

What part of " blunderette" is it that you don't understand...?  :)

Converting the €'s went wrong I guess. Didn't expect them to be making such a strong showing compared to the £....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, P.K. said:

What part of " blunderette" is it that you don't understand...?  :)

Converting the €'s went wrong I guess. Didn't expect them to be making such a strong showing compared to the £....

I have no idea what you are on about.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, woolley said:

I have no idea what you are on about.

 

On 5/29/2019 at 7:47 PM, woolley said:

Christ you're hard work.

Amen to that.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 6:46 PM, Bobbie Bobster said:

What?  Conservative leader candidate talking sense on Brexit?  Can it be true?

 

He is one of the few prepared to say it how it is. Sadly I think he’s actually mad. Even before he admitted taking opium at a party when pushed on it I thought he has that gaunt frazzled look of the speed-freak about him. Even in that clip he looks a bit wired. It could be really interesting if he gets in. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

He is one of the few prepared to say it how it is. Sadly I think he’s actually mad. Even before he admitted taking opium at a party when pushed on it I thought he has that gaunt frazzled look of the speed-freak about him. Even in that clip he looks a bit wired. It could be really interesting if he gets in. 

WTO terms are for basket case countries. Basically failed states. Errrr hang on a minute.....

Be aware that EU member states, who provide 30% of the food consumed in the UK, plus any other entity who has a trade deal with the EU can only trade with the UK post brexit on lesser terms.

So essentially the easiest deals in history can only be struck with entities who fail to meet basic food standards.

How strange Farage, Gove and Johnson failed to mention this....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, P.K. said:

WTO terms are for basket case countries. Basically failed states. Errrr hang on a minute.....

Be aware that EU member states, who provide 30% of the food consumed in the UK, plus any other entity who has a trade deal with the EU can only trade with the UK post brexit on lesser terms.

So essentially the easiest deals in history can only be struck with entities who fail to meet basic food standards.

How strange Farage, Gove and Johnson failed to mention this....

Where it is in mutual interest a way will always be found. It is imperative that both sides continue to trade. Absolutely imperative - to both. So do you not think that EU producers will want to continue selling that 30% of food? If they do, and they definitely do, they are not going to want it to be rendered less competitive by tariffs. There is no way that food standards will decline either. You are just so defeatist, and you pay no heed to the more important aspects of the debate. It's all about the minutiae. They got you fooled, like they got half the population fooled.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

He is one of the few prepared to say it how it is. Sadly I think he’s actually mad. Even before he admitted taking opium at a party when pushed on it I thought he has that gaunt frazzled look of the speed-freak about him. Even in that clip he looks a bit wired. It could be really interesting if he gets in. 

He's probably a rank outsider but he's doing himself a lot of credit and talking a lot of sense. Always liked Rory Stewart but the movie quote 'It ain't your night kid' comes to mind. Maybe next time though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, woolley said:

Where it is in mutual interest a way will always be found. It is imperative that both sides continue to trade. Absolutely imperative - to both. So do you not think that EU producers will want to continue selling that 30% of food? If they do, and they definitely do, they are not going to want it to be rendered less competitive by tariffs. There is no way that food standards will decline either. You are just so defeatist realist, and you pay no heed to the more important aspects of the debate. It's all about the minutiae. They got you fooled, like they got half the population fooled.

Fixed!

Liam Fox was bitching about this very issue in the HoC having failed to make any progress with talks in Japan. That's the Japan who recently signed a trade deal with the EU. Why else do you think Fox's performance has been absolutely abysmal???!!!

Anyone who thinks the UK can strike better deals with trading nations minus the clout of the EU are the ones being fooled. It really IS that simple.

This made me smile:

"So do you not think that EU producers will want to continue selling that 30% of food? "

The classic totally delusional " They need us more than we need them" nonsense.

The "more important aspects of the debate" wouldn't happen to include the smoke and mirrors "sovereignty" by chance?

So Woolster, what part of the UK's sovereignty that's been "lost" is the one you most want to get back that makes it worth leaving the biggest trading block on the planet?

Just trying to get a sense of perspective here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have probably seen the passionate Peter Shaw speech (some might say it was a rant) but this calmer discussion is worth a look:

Sovereignty

Much of the present concerns about sovereignty are mirrored here by Michael Foot but the question might now be "have his 1970s fears materialised"?  I'd say no.

Is the UK now more prosperous since membership since we were the "sick man of Europe"? I'd say yes

 

Whatever you might think after watching this, the idea that political integration snook in without anyone noticing whilst we thought it was just a common market trade agreement seems unsupportable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just seems unsupportable BB - it is unsupportable and the history since the original debates has proven it. Good post that puts it in its historical perspective and which explodes the myths pedalled by the ideologues and the little Englanders. Britain is no longer the basketcase of Europe and has largely been a beneficiary of the EU. We're the fifth largest world economy because we're part of the European trade alliance, not in spite of it. It always amuses me that Tim Martin, one of the big Brexit supporters, has run one of the most successful new businesses in Britain, within the EU community. He's also expanded his pub chain very successfully into Ireland. I wonder if Wetherspoons (Whom I'm a big fan of) would have been so successful outside the EU bloc ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Not just seems unsupportable BB - it is unsupportable and the history since the original debates has proven it. Good post that puts it in its historical perspective and which explodes the myths pedalled by the ideologues and the little Englanders. Britain is no longer the basketcase of Europe and has largely been a beneficiary of the EU. We're the fifth largest world economy because we're part of the European trade alliance, not in spite of it. It always amuses me that Tim Martin, one of the big Brexit supporters, has run one of the most successful new businesses in Britain, within the EU community. He's also expanded his pub chain very successfully into Ireland. I wonder if Wetherspoons (Whom I'm a big fan of) would have been so successful outside the EU bloc ?

Why would it not have been? There is this sickening attitude of "poor us, we are hopeless without the EU". It's all fabrication and it's no accident. It's an attitude nurtured by the centrists to emasculate the nation states. Anyone who demurs is immediately and lazily accused of being an insular little Englander. Sovereignty is not a thing of the 1970s. It is for all times and eventualities. The present political situation on the continent is transitory. It is not a settlement in perpetuity, thank goodness.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, woolley said:

Why would it not have been? There is this sickening attitude of "poor us, we are hopeless without the EU". It's all fabrication and it's no accident. It's an attitude nurtured by the centrists to emasculate the nation states. Anyone who demurs is immediately and lazily accused of being an insular little Englander. Sovereignty is not a thing of the 1970s. It is for all times and eventualities. The present political situation on the continent is transitory. It is not a settlement in perpetuity, thank goodness.

Didn't think you would have an answer....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Didn't think you would have an answer....

You believe that because not only do you not understand the question, you also have not the slightest conception of what the question is. It is pointless discussing any matter with somebody who only looks at 10% of the issues involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...