Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fatshaft

So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

Bojo polls nearly 3 times as many votes as the 2nd place candidate, 114 vs 43.

Are there really that many demented Conservative MPs?

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes...I hope Boris wins and causes lots of trouble...Besides nothing on telly for which I still qualify for a concessionary licence at £7.50 a year..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Do you even need to ask?

You see that standard of Manx politicians is not as bad as feared!

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

My vote to leave the EU had nothing to do with immigration. I am more concerned about restoring parliamentary democracy and national sovereignty.

Candidates for the leadership of the Tory Party have been suggesting shutting down Parliament in order to force through a "no deal" brexit.   

That same leadership race will lead to the UK having a new Prime Minister.  The only people who will have had a say in this are Tory party members.

Could you please explain how either of these are examples of the UK restoring parliamentary democracy and national sovereignty?  Increasingly the future of the UK is being guided, if not decided, by a minority.  

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Could you please explain how either of these are examples of the UK restoring parliamentary democracy and national sovereignty?

Could you show me where I said they did?

36 minutes ago, woolley said:

to you (my error re the first line, now edited).

To you. (my answer re your final sentence).

Eh?

I was just wondering if it was spelled as in a witch's curse or spelt as in the flour.

I didn't bother checking. Life's too.... etc.

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

You posted that's what you voted for...

43 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No.

But there are at least 114 tory MP's who think "Sod the state of the UK, I want to get re-elected next time around and retain my easy life and stipend, the long holidays and all those lovely X's.

"Brext please. I need to hoover up all those Farage voters...."

14 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

2 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

My vote to leave the EU had nothing to do with immigration. I am more concerned about restoring parliamentary democracy and national sovereignty.

Right there...

Now I appreciate that the two examples I gave you may have been unintended consequences of the decision to leave the EU, however, I would argue that a vote for leave was a vote for the unknown.  

The Tory party are now looking to take control of Parliament undermining its sovereignty.  The General Election following the EU referendum was hardly a resounding mandate for the Tory party and now they are changing their leadership - and as a result the Prime Minister - yet the wider population of the UK will be given no say on the matter.  That is surely then undermining democracy in the UK?  

Everyone's favourite toad, Nigel Farage, has been trying to "hop" onto the negotiating team despite not being an MP nor his party having any MP's.  That is of course ignoring the fact that the EU are remaining resolute and saying that there will be no renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement.  

And to reiterate a tired question for those in favour of the UK leaving,  what are you looking forward to the UK doing after it leaves the EU that it could not do before?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No.

But there are at least 114 tory MP's who think "Sod the state of the UK, I want to get re-elected next time around and retain my easy life and stipend, the long holidays and all those lovely X's.

"Brext please. I need to hoover up all those Farage voters...."

Since we're being pedantic today, what's Brext?

Seriously, I suppose it's difficult for them to know what to do. The situation splits the party as the country. As you say, they want to be re-elected, but what do they do in order not to vote for Christmas? There is no obvious answer. As we have seen, compromise solutions such as Theresa May's appear to be even less popular than plumping one way or the other. I think they are clinging to the hope that Johnson will be more appealing to the country than any of the others. I think they might be disappointed. The only thing in their favour is that the other lot are led by Corbyn. Interesting times.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

As to nurses, why do we not use our own people instead of stealing them from other countries? That is the scandal.

You do realise it takes 4 years minimum to complete a nursing degree apprenticeship?

What shall we do in the intervening 4 years while we wait for massive numbers of people to take on a job with shitty hours and wages that are far below what they should be for such an important role?

More unicorn poop from the forums chief poop shovel-er.

15 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

That is of course ignoring the fact that the EU are remaining resolute and saying that there will be no renegotiation of the withdrawal agreement.  

And to reiterate a tired question for those in favour of the UK leaving,  what are you looking forward to the UK doing after it leaves the EU that it could not do before?

The EU can easily remain resolute because its position has not been challenged. The UK side of the "negotiation" has been run by remainers who want the whole thing stopped anyway.

Full self-government from within UK borders.

17 minutes ago, woolley said:

You are about 3 years too late to asking that important question...

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

26 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Eh?

I was just wondering if it was spelled as in a witch's curse or spelt as in the flour.

I didn't bother checking. Life's too.... etc.

Not being pedantic at all. Just the thought of using a "spell" checker to sort it appealed to my warped sense of humour.

As you say, interesting times.

Of course, BREXT would come along just when we have the worst Government coupled with the worst Opposition I can remember. 

The deal put together by Robbins and Weyand seems to be the only deal in town or it's a crash-out with the shitstorm that will cause. Of course, whoever is in power will blame the EU for "punishing" us and just conveniently forget the years of prevarication, inactivity and drawing pictures on the blank canvas of "Leave The European Union" that were always going to be complete bollox. Just think Mark Francois and his "That's not the brexit the British people voted for" as the epitome of stupidly making it up as you go along. I think history will look at this time as a government "Away with the Fairies" for all the effectiveness they have had.

And still the Irish border just won't go away....