Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fatshaft

So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

You simply enjoy talking Britain down, and you want it to fail just so you can crow about how wonderful is your beloved EU.

I simply point out the facts.

You remember facts...?

The anathema of the brexiteer....

So what game is Liam Fox playing...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I simply point out the facts.

You remember facts...?

The anathema of the brexiteer....

So what game is Liam Fox playing...?

I post facts all of the time - as above. You just don't want to hear them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, woolley said:

I post facts all of the time - as above. You just don't want to hear them.

Don't be silly.

The UK has always attracted more investment than France or Germany.

But since brexit it has "dipped" shall we say....

ETA : so what game is Liam Fox and "the easiest deals in history" playing at...?

After all, one of the central planks of brexit (including Fox, Raab, McVey etc) was all these lovely trade deals that were going to be so much better than the EU had managed to obtain.....

Edited by P.K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, woolley said:

So follow your own logic then. It is in nobody's interest for it to happen, therefore it won't. Nobody wants tariffs!

There is a whole political party, with MEPs, under the leadership of Sir Nigel Fraudage whose only policy is to put economic sanctions, aka tariffs, on the U.K.. You’re a ‘bag-carrier’ for them. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, woolley said:

It's a mixture. Companies, start-ups, green field developments, all kinds of investment. Immaterial really, isn't it, if we're going to hell in a handcart as you and your subordinates keep telling us we are.

It’s not immaterial. If it really is investment in new ventures then there’s a case for you to argue that global investors do see something worthwhile in brexit. I’d listen, and I’d be quite open-minded - if you could back up your claims with stats and examples. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, P.K. said:

So what game is Liam Fox playing...?

Since the referendum, the EU has signed FTAs with Japan, South Korea and Canada, and is finalising a deal with Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay. Currently, tariffs are pretty high, eg; 35% on cars. The EU’s trading position gets stronger with every new deal. Fox is learning the hard way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, woolley said:

So follow your own logic then. It is in nobody's interest for it to happen, therefore it won't. Nobody wants tariffs!

Nobody wants them, I agree.  However, leaving the UK without a deal will lead to them being imposed.  Why?  Because the legal default will be the use of tariffs.  It is another case of people like Farage, Johnson et al ignoring the facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, woolley said:

Absolutely not. Selective reporting. 2016 was a spectacular year (after the referendum too) so it has dropped since then. It's cyclical. You will note that it says "lowest for 6 years" - 2013-14 - before the nightmare of Brexit had begun.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-holds-more-foreign-investment-than-germany-and-france-combined

In the globalised world (with which much is wrong), inward investment means confidence, and the UK draws in more than Germany and France combined. And you say it's a basket case. :D

You simply enjoy talking Britain down, and you want it to fail just so you can crow about how wonderful is your beloved EU.

 

39 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

It’s not immaterial. If it really is investment in new ventures then there’s a case for you to argue that global investors do see something worthwhile in brexit. I’d listen, and I’d be quite open-minded - if you could back up your claims with stats and examples. 

Question...

What is counted as inward investment?  Does it include the likes of EDF building a new nuclear powe rstation (maybe 2).  Does it include EU companies already present in the UK continuing to do business in the UK?  I am thinking of companies such as EDF, Arreva, Bouygues, Amazon, etc? 

Genuine question.  Would just like some clarification on how inward investment is measured especially as I work for a UK registered business with foreign ownership who are in regular discussions with the Department of International Trade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Nobody wants them, I agree.  However, leaving the UK without a deal will lead to them being imposed.  Why?  Because the legal default will be the use of tariffs.  It is another case of people like Farage, Johnson et al ignoring the facts.

No. It's a legal default which, by definition, means unless changed. It will be changed because it is in nobody's interest to default to tariffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

 

Question...

What is counted as inward investment?  Does it include the likes of EDF building a new nuclear powe rstation (maybe 2).  Does it include EU companies already present in the UK continuing to do business in the UK?  I am thinking of companies such as EDF, Arreva, Bouygues, Amazon, etc? 

Genuine question.  Would just like some clarification on how inward investment is measured especially as I work for a UK registered business with foreign ownership who are in regular discussions with the Department of International Trade...

It includes all investment from outside the UK (or any other country, for that matter) to establish or acquire home assets, so it would include all infrastructure projects that are privately funded by non-UK companies (less any UK public or private contribution), as well as foreign purchase of UK securities (for a controlling interest), complete takeovers of companies, mergers that involve an enlarged group with foreign participation and subsidiaries becoming partly or fully listed in the UK market, green field developments etc. It doesn't include continuing business of going concerns already trading in Britain, but it would include new investment for expansion of those businesses such as new factories, warehousing, offices, etc.

Of course there is a flow in the opposite direction of UK capital going to the FDI of other countries. That's the wondrous globalisation! Some of the effects are positive; others less so.

Is your company exporting from the UK? They may be seeking DIT assistance with new trade flows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, the company is French owned and involved in the construction industry.  The DIT are interested in trying to secure future investment and job creation in the UK.  They are being met with a resounding message along the lines of "it will happen but Brexit must be sorted out". 

You see that's why I asked because I know what discussions are happening between the DIT and foreign companies.  I know how desperate the DIT are getting to find good news stories and that desperation is increasing as we approach October.   

I wonder why....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EU and Mercosur agree huge trade deal after 20-year talks

The EU and South American economic bloc Mercosur have clinched a huge trade deal after 20 years of negotiations.

EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker said it was the EU's biggest deal to date and, at a time of trade tensions between the US and China, showed that "we stand for rules-based trade".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48807161

So while all this is going on where is Liam Fox?

Ah yes.

Trying, and failing, to pick the crumbs from the table of the EU - Japan trade deal....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 8:00 PM, manxman1980 said:

No, the company is French owned and involved in the construction industry.  The DIT are interested in trying to secure future investment and job creation in the UK.  They are being met with a resounding message along the lines of "it will happen but Brexit must be sorted out". 

You see that's why I asked because I know what discussions are happening between the DIT and foreign companies.  I know how desperate the DIT are getting to find good news stories and that desperation is increasing as we approach October.   

I wonder why....

Ah, I see. So if the DIT are becoming desperate about future inward investment in the UK, the situation in France and Germany must be truly dire since investment to the UK eclipses both of them put together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, P.K. said:

EU and Mercosur agree huge trade deal after 20-year talks

The EU and South American economic bloc Mercosur have clinched a huge trade deal after 20 years of negotiations.

EU Commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker said it was the EU's biggest deal to date and, at a time of trade

Why did it take them 20 years? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...