Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fatshaft

So the UK is finished says Theresa Mayhem

Recommended Posts

Quote

Just need to get on with it now.

Quick, quick Boris. Get it over the line before that French  ** * *  Lamy points out even more of your deceit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/12/2019 at 5:13 PM, ballaughbiker said:

It said on the wireless the other day that the last quarter's trade figures were up as companies that rely on imports have been doing the same thing.

£1 = 1.07€ this morning and still we continue on the same heading to satisfy the constantly barking angry dogs.

Anyone still convinced that this will be great needs to look on youtube for Pascal Lamy's views. It's even worth it just to see his facial expressions when the likes of IDS and Leadsom are talking absolute shite about WTO. 

They must be getting their economic data from Tim Martin instead of Lamy. If it was a bet between the two on experience and knowledge, I know who I'd put my sixpence on.

It is uncertainty that spooks markets. Three years of it thanks to Remainers dithering over what should have been done and dusted by mid 2017 at the latest. When we know what the arrangements are, sterling will shoot up again.

Lamy is a Frenchman and an animal of the European Commission, so a totally impartial commentator - not. The Germans are just as keen on doing a deal as the UK, and would be just as inconvenienced without one. We are their largest European trading partner. Stop panicking and get real. Life goes on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£ has been spooked for 3+ years then. The latest dip is clearly uncertainty but please don't join the facebook crowd who say it's nothing to do with "it".

 

Quote
Lamy is a Frenchman and an animal of the European Commission, so a totally impartial commentator - not.

You would have a stronger argument if he hadn't been DG of WTO for 8 years since his Delors days.

 

Quote

Stop panicking and get real. Life goes on.

Hmmm, woolley's views or Lamy's ? Tricky one.....

As for that twot Johnson  (just my opinion m'lud) who has now grabbed the steering wheel, with him at the helm there is good reason for a degree of unease.

 

Quote

We are their largest European trading partner.

But they will remain in the block with all its up and running deals that we will choose to trash (= 65% of our exports remember) in a few weeks. Still Trump will look after us after America first. Tariffs.....yay!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

£ has been spooked for 3+ years then. The latest dip is clearly uncertainty but please don't join the facebook crowd who say it's nothing to do with "it".

Yes. Uncertainty for 3 years - as I said.

You would have a stronger argument if he hadn't been DG of WTO for 8 years since his Delors days.

Leopard does not change spots. Animal of the EU and Frenchman to boot.

Hmmm, woolley's views or Lamy's ? Tricky one.....

I guess we'll have to wait and see!

As for that twot Johnson  (just my opinion m'lud) who has now grabbed the steering wheel, with him at the helm there is good reason for a degree of unease.

Well, I'm no Johnson fan, but if he is the only one who can put this charade to bed, more power to his elbow.

But they will remain in the block with all its up and running deals that we will choose to trash (= 65% of our exports remember) in a few weeks.

Trade again. Trade will continue in much the way it always has. It is imperative to buyers and sellers. We import as well as export, don't forget. The "planes won't fly" brigade would like you to forget that.

Still Trump will look after us after America first. Tariffs.....yay!

Nobody will "look after us". Not America and certainly not the EU. Nor should we expect it. We have to look after ourselves by being a premier league economy and having the goods and services that the world wants to buy. If we do that, we deserve success. If not, there is no bureaucracy on Earth that will save us.

This whole thing is toxic and needs to end. It is what the EU does for Britain. Gets half the country at the throat of the other half. It is destructive. I promised myself I would stop this endless rebuffing of the same tiresome, inconsequential, nonsensical arguments about cessation of trade, but here I am again.................

I will leave it alone until something actually happens.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, woolley said:

Animal of the EU and Frenchman to boot.

That statement sounds pretty xenophobic.   Just saying....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

That statement sounds pretty xenophobic.   Just saying....

To address accusation of xenophobia:

Don't be pc silly. We and the French have called each other names for centuries. I have a great regard for them though, as I do for the other great continental nations. However, I don't think even the most ardent Francophile could deny that the French tend to have a certain distinct view of the EU, and an individual who has been integral within the EU hierarchy will have had that reinforced a thousandfold. I stand by my observation that he is not impartial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, woolley said:

Trade again. Trade will continue in much the way it always has. It is imperative to buyers and sellers. We import as well as export, don't forget. The "planes won't fly" brigade would like you to forget that.

Of course trade will continue.

After all, we have to eat.

With tariffs etc effecting both our imports and exports as a trading nation what reduction can we expect in our standard of living...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, woolley said:

To address accusation of xenophobia:

Don't be pc silly. We and the French have called each other names for centuries. I have a great regard for them though, as I do for the other great continental nations. However, I don't think even the most ardent Francophile could deny that the French tend to have a certain distinct view of the EU, and an individual who has been integral within the EU hierarchy will have had that reinforced a thousandfold. I stand by my observation that he is not impartial.

By ‘we’ you mean English. This is Manx Forums Johnny Foreigner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

By ‘we’ you mean English. This is Manx Forums Johnny Foreigner. 

Hmmm. There's always been a touch of this about you. "We" are the British, i.e, all of us from the British Isles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, woolley said:

Hmmm. There's always been a touch of this about you. "We" are the British, i.e, all of us from the British Isles.

Maybe but historically it is the English who fought many wars with the French.  The Scottish I believe sided with the French.  

I don't think the Manx had much of a say in who they fought for or against.  Brings us back to the question of sovereignty doesn't it?

Independent Isle of Man anyone?   Take back control from Westminster.  We can have our own trade deals and control of our own borders then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Maybe but historically it is the English who fought many wars with the French.  The Scottish I believe sided with the French.  

I don't think the Manx had much of a say in who they fought for or against.  Brings us back to the question of sovereignty doesn't it?

Independent Isle of Man anyone?   Take back control from Westminster.  We can have our own trade deals and control of our own borders then!

Yes, of course, on occasion in ancient history, prior to the UK. But in the context of a thread in the international section which is about Brexit, only the mischievous would take issue with the use of the personal pronoun  "we" to indicate the British side.

To answer your question, I don't think many would aspire to an independent Isle of Man. Think of the implications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You said that ‘we and the French have called each other names for centuries’ - surely ‘we’ in that sense can only be the English, not also the Scottish, Irish, Manx and Welsh? I might be completely wrong, and I do like France a lot, but I thought it was only the English that have a problem with the French (and with just about everyone else). If I’m wrong then I’m genuinely surprised that those sentiments are so widespread.

Edited by Freggyragh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, woolley said:

Yes, of course, on occasion in ancient history, prior to the UK. But in the context of a thread in the international section which is about Brexit, only the mischievous would take issue with the use of the personal pronoun  "we" to indicate the British side.

You were the one that referred to "centuries" which in human terms can hardly be considered ancient history. 

9 hours ago, woolley said:

To answer your question, I don't think many would aspire to an independent Isle of Man. Think of the implications.

The irony....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

You were the one that referred to "centuries" which in human terms can hardly be considered ancient history. 

I was referring to the centuries since the establishment of the UK. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...