ID Check on Boats..nah, too much like hard work

Manx Bean

I think you're arguing a different point.

Not really. All those problem areas you perceive. I see them as an opportunity for another generation to buy affordable properties.

But it's only an opportunity for people who have a positive outlook.

You keep banging on about this 'positive outlook' as a kind of inference that any views contrary to yours are pessimistic or negative. It's lazy and you come across as more articulate than that.

• Like 1

in general the streets were safer then

Which streets? Anywhere which has been 'gentrified' will be very much safer than it used to be. Vast areas of London for example. The challenge is to gentrify all of Britain. Middle class people don't communicate with their fists in general. Even Ramsey seems safer on a Saturday night than it once was.

society was far less dysfunctional.

In general society seems very much safer to me and far less dysfunctional than it did even 20 years ago.

Woolley mentioned his mother's prime, well I don't know about that. But I do know I feel safer walking through certain parts of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Preston and Douglas at night than I did 20 or 30 years ago. I suspect this would be the same if you went back to the 70's or 60's too.

YOU LYING SCUMBAG! I did not say that, you have edited my post to make it look like I did, but I didn't.

If you nasty, vile, scum misrepresent what people say, there really is no point in engaging with you nasty right-wing bastards anymore.

• Like 3

You keep banging on about this 'positive outlook' as a kind of inference that any views contrary to yours are pessimistic or negative.

If you have a negative outlook about a particular area, if all that you can perceive is problems, then you are not going to see any positives or opportunities.

Gentrification is absolutely about people having a positive outlook. It's about people having the confidence and optimism to see the potential in a place and to build on that. Instead of whining that everything was better when ...

• Like 1

You keep banging on about this 'positive outlook' as a kind of inference that any views contrary to yours are pessimistic or negative.

If you have a negative outlook about a particular area, if all that you can perceive is problems, then you are not going to see any positives or opportunities.

Gentrification is absolutely about people having a positive outlook. It's about people having the confidence and optimism to see the potential in a place and to build on that. Instead of whining that everything was better when ...

It's about people buying there because they can't afford anywhere else.

Edited by woolley

i ußually get to about the seĉond paragrah before termiñal bôredom sets in

aiports these days are stress and hassle. eg taking off your jacket, ßhoes and belt for sēcurity. if you told anyone 30 years that that would become the norm they wouldn't bélieve ýou.

(the terroriss have won that one.)

the boat has little of that lärgély pointless bollocks and can be a nicer way to travel because of it.

on occasions i've spent an hour going through security at manĉheßter and liverpool. mainly due þo dîsorganîsed shambles whîch dîdn't add to the travelling experience let alone a feeling ôf seĉurity

what's stressful about taking a jacket off?

bit more than taking ýour jacket off though, isn't it. but i think you knew that

security and documentation checks are two totally different, but related, things

ok, that's put my mind at ease

It's crime we are talking about, not deprivation. There was much deprivation. In fact, there will still be scenes like those around today.

And what do you think is a major contributing factor in crime...

immigrants like you

Well I have committed no crime and contributed a fair amount of tax relative to my earnings.

It's crime we are talking about, not deprivation. There was much deprivation. In fact, there will still be scenes like those around today.

And what do you think is a major contributing factor in crime...

immigrants like you

Well I have committed no crime and contributed a fair amount of tax relative to my earnings.

that also makes you a mug...

in general the streets were safer then

Which streets? Anywhere which has been 'gentrified' will be very much safer than it used to be. Vast areas of London for example. The challenge is to gentrify all of Britain. Middle class people don't communicate with their fists in general. Even Ramsey seems safer on a Saturday night than it once was.

society was far less dysfunctional.

In general society seems very much safer to me and far less dysfunctional than it did even 20 years ago.

Woolley mentioned his mother's prime, well I don't know about that. But I do know I feel safer walking through certain parts of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Preston and Douglas at night than I did 20 or 30 years ago. I suspect this would be the same if you went back to the 70's or 60's too.

YOU LYING SCUMBAG! I did not say that, you have edited my post to make it look like I did, but I didn't.

If you nasty, vile, scum misrepresent what people say, there really is no point in engaging with you nasty right-wing bastards anymore.

Declan, who are you having a pop at here? I can't make it out. What was altered? In possible defence of whoever it is - who knows, might be me - it is not too difficult to attribute comments to the wrong poster inadvertently when quoting multiple posts on here. If it's deliberate then you are justified in your annoyance.

Nasty, vile, right-wing bastard scum I can cope with, but not misrepresenting what someone said.

Declan, who are you having a pop at here? I can't make it out. What was altered? In possible defence of whoever it is - who knows, might be me - it is not too difficult to attribute comments to the wrong poster inadvertently when quoting multiple posts on here. If it's deliberate then you are justified in your annoyance.

Nasty, vile, right-wing bastard scum I can cope with, but not misrepresenting what someone said.

Luxx - the person I was quoting. He edited my post and wrote "fixed" and continued as if that was what I had meant all along. It's a nasty trick.

• Like 3

Of course you didn't say it. That's why I highlighted what I wrote in bold and wrote 'Fixed' underneath.

It's forum etiquette when you want to address a point. Do brush up on it, there's nothing underhand.

Edited by Lxxx

It's about people buying there because they can't afford anywhere else.

True Woolley, but only to an extent, because you couldn't get a mortgage through the normal channels initially , hence when I bought in Islington, the house price was cheap but had to borrow at 18+% and provide a lot of 'security' and it was over 5 years.

The people who made the most were those slum landlords who bought tenanted property (low controlled rents) "encouraged" the tenants to move and then either gentrified or sold on .

Rough areas which were identified as possible "slum clearance" were turned into "housing action areas " with the emphasis on refurb/repair/improvement , then the more usual 'lenders ' got on board and with "conservation areas" gentrification really took off.

• Like 1