Freeview TV (Dumping Sky)

local skeet

If you have Sky why aren't you using it? It is like having a washing machine and washing everything by hand, but looking to replace the w/m. Genuine question because if you are paying for it but not using it, what is the point of replacing it?

Going to work out cheaper Gladys and Sky are letting loads of chanels like National Geographic, Discovery and Animal Planet and Eurosport go, so not quite as lucrative anymore.

Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Edited by local skeet

I need a FreeSat box. Can anyone recommend where to get a good one at a reasonable price? Looked on Amazon and they are extortionate prices.

£125 from CPC

Not being a member of the wealthy Rockefeller family, that's not what I'd describe as a reasonable price. Thanks, though.

You get what you pay for. If you aren't fussed about recording or smart features like iplayer etc then a basic freesat box is around £50 new, or plenty of second hand ones on eBay for less.

If you have Sky why aren't you using it? It is like having a washing machine and washing everything by hand, but looking to replace the w/m. Genuine question because if you are paying for it but not using it, what is the point of replacing it?

Going to work out cheaper Gladys and Sky are letting loads of chanels like National Geographic, Discovery and Animal Planet and Eurosport go, so not quite as lucrative anymore.

Tbh, no. If you used Sky but objected to the cost, I would understand. Or if you used Sky and didn't like the functionality, again I would get it. But you say you don't use it, but want to replace it. I am just not understanding, but I don't understand very much these days.

I'd get the Humax HDR1100S so you can both record and/or use the internet for catch up or Netflix etc. They are worth the £200 price tag.

Thats probably the best if you dont want multi room.

We moved away from sky a while ago as we weren't really making the most of the subscription.

We wanted multi room and bought two Humax Espresso H3 together with the Humax FVP-4000T

The H3 boxes link with the main box and have worked very well so far.

If you dont want to buy the main box the H3 has an app called TvPlayer on it and you can stream live tv without a dish.

Its really good I think.

Edited by goddess

Tbh, no. If you used Sky but objected to the cost, I would understand. Or if you used Sky and didn't like the functionality, again I would get it. But you say you don't use it, but want to replace it. I am just not understanding, but I don't understand very much these days.

We had Sky (the cheapest one) but generally only watched Eden, BBC4 & filthy Hollyoaks. We got rid of the Sky and now watch the same channels on freeview (don't actually know about Eden because that's a MrBees channel and he totally never watches the telly).

Thats where Now TV is a good option. It uses your broadband connection, you can pay for the entertainments package at £9.99 a month and you get all the major sky channels along with all the catch up for BBC,ITV,C4 and C5.

I use a combination of Now TV and Free Sat for recording. The only thing Now TV doesn't do is record.