Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Manx Bean

500 new jobs could be created...

Do we have 500 people looking for employment?

Well, there's 15,000 people queuing up at Heysham desperate to come and live in our utopia and pay our governments pensions.

• Like 2

We can't really offer workers as our unemployment rate is so low. They will have to be brought in.

There is 'potential' for many things to happen.

There is 'potential' for some companies to leave the island as Nationwide is doing.

If you tell people there is £50 million available in subsidies there is 'potential' for lots of promises to be made about jobs.

New jobs don't have to be filled by immigrants, although that is the desired position of the treasury. New jobs should also be an opportunity for local workers to move up the wage/status ladder. Maybe the vacated jobs will have to pay more to get replacements? The important thing is to get more people paying I-Tax.

Statement has as much substance as his bullshit pamphlet and everything else that comes out of his oversized arse - sorry mouth ( its the content that makes the orifice ambiguous).

• Like 2

Do we have 500 people looking for employment?

I suspect not sarahc

Which does pose the question whether a new approach to developing our economy ought not to be given a go

Where taxpayers funds could be put to more effective use

New jobs don't have to be filled by immigrants, although that is the desired position of the treasury. New jobs should also be an opportunity for local workers to move up the wage/status ladder. Maybe the vacated jobs will have to pay more to get replacements? The important thing is to get more people paying I-Tax.

The important thing is to have technology generating more income through sales & taxes, without the social costs of importing people

Existing people changing jobs wouldn't create 500 new jobs.

I'd just like to play my political card and say that I think ONE THOUSAND (1000) jobs could be created by incoming businesses wishing to take advantage of our competitive um... er... coffee shops and other things.

Likewise I would think that international businesses would probably like to open their factories in our unfeasibly compact industrial premises (apart from the ones being sold as luxury housing) and benefit greatly from our completely independent ports on which the only duty and charges payable on incoming or outgoing goods are the normal rates levied by the English HMRC and the Steam Packet.

Online businesses would also find great global advantage by setting up premises in Royal Ramsey and enjoying the ultra fast Internet connectivity that comes along traditional copper wires fed from slightly crash-prone fibre optic bollards in our storm-lashed streets.

• Like 2