Question about digital speed signs

Black cables across the road are usually to count traffic. They will be put across adjacent, and alternative, routes to see how many vehicles prefer which route. Where there are two cables in parallel a few inches apart, they are checking speed, too.

Smiley/frowney faces are a gentle way of reminding people of a restriction, and do help to reduce the speed of vehicles going past, so they are a good thing. I think they also keep stats on numbers of vehicles passing that are over/under the speed limit.

As for calibration, I used to find that I'd get a smiley face with a 30 when my speedometer said 31, but just lately the signs have been showing exactly the same speed as my speedo. Zero tolerance.

If the results are bad enough, no doubt the signs will be replaced by uniformed people holding hair dryers.

• Like 1

There was one outside my house which I was in favour of.Then the sign disappeared but the pole is still there..

My question is,having seen the flashing sign in various locations around the Island.....

How many full time pensioned employees are involved in the arduous re-siting of the said electric exhibit and how many managers does it take to make sure that the said sign is fairly relocated around the Island on a proper rotation.

Questions should be asked in Tynwald.

Perhaps the proposed 25 "refugees" should have an input as they will be sucking at the Public Teat soon.

• Like 1

Black cables across the road are usually to count traffic. They will be put across adjacent, and alternative, routes to see how many vehicles prefer which route. Where there are two cables in parallel a few inches apart, they are checking speed, too.

Smiley/frowney faces are a gentle way of reminding people of a restriction, and do help to reduce the speed of vehicles going past, so they are a good thing. I think they also keep stats on numbers of vehicles passing that are over/under the speed limit.

As for calibration, I used to find that I'd get a smiley face with a 30 when my speedometer said 31, but just lately the signs have been showing exactly the same speed as my speedo. Zero tolerance.

If the results are bad enough, no doubt the signs will be replaced by uniformed people holding hair dryers.

..........The black cables outside our house were definitely for a speed check. I believe they are pneumatic tubes connected to a sensor. We were told that the average speed outside our house was 58mph. and that was in a narrow lane, but because there had been few accidents and there wasn't a speed limit that was OK and it was not necessary for traffic calming measures.............unbelievable............

Only squares slow down. Hip cool kids like me speed up for a frowny face.

If you get to three digits it's a shocked face.

For Kennal, you are fast.ohmy.png

yllygafa!!!

Wot ?

Translation: you look like you give a F again.

• Like 2