Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Chinahand

Liberalism

The issue is not that I disagree with you. It's that you deliberately and consistently misquote and misrepresent my comment and respond with aggression.

You're totally unprepared to discuss the issues without lies, aggression and abuse. I made a long considered post this morning and have has to remove it met with streams of lies and abuse from you.

You are not my Dad so I don't have to put up with dealing with aggressive bullies like you.

Can we just clarify this singular quote that was 'misrepresented'

Woolley mentioned his mother's prime, well I don't know about that. But I do know I feel safer walking through certain parts of London, Liverpool, Manchester, Preston and Douglas at night than I did 20 or 30 years ago. I suspect this would be the same if you went back to the 70's or 60's too.

Fixed.

What happens is the people with money move further out/concentrate into certain areas to avoid the societal issues that accompany; a rapid increase in population, de-industrialisation, multi-culturalism, globalisation, lack of vital resources.....

There we go. Awful isn't it.

I'm not having you start spreading crap on here about me resorting to lies and bullying and aggression. You're like a shrieking banshee with your perceived injustice at what used to be known back in the day as an 'innocent misunderstanding' in old money.

Get a grip man!

Lxxx is a robust poster, but I don't think he deliberately went out to misrepresent you Declan - it was quite clear he'd added "in certain parts" he'd not only bolded it, but noted it by saying fixed and then added the context of why the certain parts which are safe, or dangerous, change over time as an areas demographic changes - hence complicating your comparison.

The Fixed part was fixing your post to reflect his point of view, not to distort yours.

It's lazy and can easily result in confusion - which it clearly has, but I don't think its worth going on about lies, agression and abuse. The whole spat shows how difficult it can be to have a reasoned discussion on the internet.

And now Delcan has deleted his reply to the video which was a worthwhile and interesting post which was worth considering ... ah well.

• Like 3

He also took a section from my long reply to this thread out of context, changing its meaning to launch an attack on me.

He brought the "fixed" issue up again here when it was solved. He's launched another abusive rant at me in another thread today.

It makes me wonder whether there is any point being on the forum at the moment. Spending time responding to a thoughtful post in a detailed manner only for a few words to be taken from it out of context, changing the meaning and tone to launch an attack on me.

He also took a section from my long reply to this thread out of context, changing its meaning to launch an attack on me.

He brought the "fixed" issue up again here when it was solved. He's launched another abusive rant at me in another thread today.

It makes me wonder whether there is any point being on the forum at the moment. Spending time responding to a thoughtful post in a detailed manner only for a few words to be taken from it out of context, changing the meaning and tone to launch an attack on me.

You wrote a good piece before, the one you pulled. I don't know why you deleted it. I only pointed out it was a tad hypocritical but I then got bombarded with all sorts.

Honestly mate, we're all adults on here. No-one bullies anyone, it's good reasoned debate, left and right. If you think you've been wronged, point it out and we all move on.

If you think you've been attacked, go get a wet flannel and take a time out. I wouldn't want anyone to feel upset.

One of the things which Declan wrote about in the post which he made earlier had to do, I believe, with issues around the normal range of reasonable political opinion - ie what many Conservatives, Liberals and Labour voters would typically agree on. I hope that's a fair précis anyhow.

With respect to that: the Overton Window. This is about conceptualising the way in which an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within the window.

For example, with respect to 'freedom':

220px-Overton_Window_diagram.svg.png

• Like 2

Lxxx is a robust poster, but I don't think he deliberately went out to misrepresent you Declan - it was quite clear he'd added "in certain parts" he'd not only bolded it, but noted it by saying fixed and then added the context of why the certain parts which are safe, or dangerous, change over time as an areas demographic changes - hence complicating your comparison.

The Fixed part was fixing your post to reflect his point of view, not to distort yours.

It's lazy and can easily result in confusion - which it clearly has, but I don't think its worth going on about lies, agression and abuse. The whole spat shows how difficult it can be to have a reasoned discussion on the internet.

And now Delcan has deleted his reply to the video which was a worthwhile and interesting post which was worth considering ... ah well.

And of course the "fixed" thing is established web forum etiquette. It hasn't just been invented by Lxxx. It's been done here by posters of all political colours for ever on both serious and humourous threads. If I'd done it I'd be gobsmacked to be censured for it. Total misunderstanding in my view.

ETA: I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to read Declan's post that others have said was interesting.

Edited by woolley

Sorry but I disagree, to alter a post and then add "fixed" can lead some to misinterpret the stance taken by the original poster.

In my view it is at best a lazy response and at worst a calculated attempt to wind up or generally have a 'pop' .

Just saying flowers.gif

• Like 1

Anyway, let's put it to bed. I'll try to find the ​fixed ​ button on my smartphone for ease of misunderstanding, or just wait until I'm not on a train to post a proper response in future.

So, classical liberals. Do they exist anymore?

Sorry but I disagree, to alter a post and then add "fixed" can lead some to misinterpret the stance taken by the original poster.

In my view it is at best a lazy response and at worst a calculated attempt to wind up or generally have a 'pop' .

Just saying flowers.gif

I think some people are overly sensitive about it. All a bit girly

Just saying flowers.gif

I think some people are overly sensitive about it. All a bit girly

"All a bit girly" .......... lol ........ I'm obliged by your opinion flowers.gif

Ahh the nasty squad out in force in support of misquoting by their chums.

The fixed trick is not forum etiquette, it's bad manners that some people resort to. Thankfully It's not prevalent here, but when it's happened to me I've challenged it.

Besides that issue happened days ago in another thread. That issue had been left to lie. We'd agreed to move on. LXXX brought it up here, out of context, and took an extract from my now deleted post in a manner which changed the meaning to make it personal and start a fight.

This happens in any thread Woody, quip, Woolley, LXXX, Notwell take an interest in. (To be fair rmanx is as bad). Time and again we have to wade through racism, sexism, aggression. They don't engage in ideas, they just spit epithets like "libtard" at people who disagree with them. I shouldn't have reacted in anger to LXXX but I guess I got sick of dropping out of threads due to these tactics.

I had given up this thread because of LXXX playing the man not ball on me a few pages back. It seemed to have quietened down and there was sensible interesting posts again. So I replied and I get a personal attack misrepresenting my post again.

The conclusion I've reached is that there's little point contributing to subjects that the nasty squad are likely to take an interest in.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 3

This happens in any thread Woody, quip, Woolley, LXXX, Notwell take an interest in. (To be fair rmanx is as bad). Time and again we have to wade through racism, sexism, aggression. They don't engage in ideas, they just spit epithets like "libtard" at people who disagree with them. I shouldn't have reacted in anger to LXXX but I guess I got sick of dropping out of threads due to these tactics.

And on top anyone who uses the word "libtard" to describe anyone who disagrees with their ultra conservative views can only be a complete dickhead. Everyone I've ever met who uses that word is an angry dickhead. There are more politcal spectrums than polarized left and right.

• Like 1

In response to Declan, I may come across a bit "dedicated" in my responses, because it seems (to me) that there is an obvious right (and sometimes alt-right) leaning to this forum, and at times I am having to "defend" my opinions/position against multiple posters at the same time (and usually the same crew).

I have grown weary of this style of combative "discussion" and I am going to try and comment less on threads. As much as I like a "robust" discussion, having to wade through the insults, smugness and sock puppeting (not naming names as that can start a thread death spiral easily enough) removes any "joy" from posting.