Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Manx Bean

Kirk Michael Road Plans

Kirk Michael doesn't need a bypass, just a "Don't park on the main road". But no, I have no idea what the meeting is about,

• Like 1

Kirk Michael is getting 200 traffic calming planters to be placed on the main road.

That'll make it interesting for the races.

• Like 1

Kirk Michael is getting 200 traffic calming planters to be placed on the main road.

That'll make it interesting for the races.

slalom...

Yes, clearly planters. The longest, fastest, slalom course is being set up.

Kirk Michael doesn't need a bypass, just a "Don't park on the main road". But no, I have no idea what the meeting is about,

that makes sense, but the place is that old that off road parking is not available for many residents at the bottle neck areas. nipping into the shop or post office would also be a bind if you had to park in the car park behind the old bank because that seems to get used by the car sales place as extra storage.

Yep, obviously they'd need a replacement parking bit, but the cheapest and most effective option is to make it a non parking road, rather than building a bypass. They won't do it though!

that makes sense, but the place is that old that off road parking is not available for many residents at the bottle neck areas. nipping into the shop or post office would also be a bind if you had to park in the car park behind the old bank because that seems to get used by the car sales place as extra storage.

They seem to find somewhere to park TT/MGP weeks!

Most of the village there is plenty of room for two cars to pass even where vehicles are parked. But a lot of drivers are not very good at judging where they are on the road relative to width of whatever they are driving. Preventing parking right outside the Post Office would eliminate the one legitimate bottleneck. You see it all over the island - people driving way out in the middle of the road with a huge gap on their left. St Ninian's to the prom is the same. That could do with being no parking - even though there is plenty of room for two cars to pass even where people are parked.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2

They don't need to do anything in my view. KM is a country village and drivers don't need to charge through there at speed.

I only drive a car now, but even when I drove a very much bigger vehicle it was never a big issue. If people need to get somewhere quicker, just go over the top.

​If big changes are made to the road, I reckon it will kill the village shops and the village life in general.

• Like 2

Look fairly easy on a map to build a straight road east of the village linking two parts of the A3 south & north

Nothing easy in KM...residents and wealthy landowners to deal with. How many other by pass proposals have there been and what grounds have they failed on?