Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
asitis

Interesting at the airport !

It'd be interesting to see passenger numbers on Citywing flights in the next few weeks, over and above pre-booked flights from before this incident.

It wouldn't bother me if I needed to travel and wanted to use one of their routes.

it wouldn't bother most people if you flew with them....................thumbsup.gifflowers.gif

• Like 2

It wouldn't bother me if I needed to travel and wanted to use one of their routes.

No sense, no fear...

This comment on pprune sums it up:

I think without doubt this model of operation is broken. Its time the IOM Government woke up to their responsibilities and only allowed fully CAA licenced operators to work from the Island. All credit to the guys and gals at Citywing, they have had a good run, but this shambles should never have been allowed to continue after the Manx2 crash.

One could be forgiven for thinking that desperation to show growth in passenger figures paired with self-centered political and managerial incompetence may have led to this.

They're too desperate to justify their open sky policy and to be seen to have as many air routes to The IOM as possible even if a few are by a non-airline to craphouse regional airports like Blackpool. This is the government after all who gave the Oxford route to a 14 year old child (remember the Baby Branson press releases) about 10 years ago who subsequently went bankrupt. PPRUNE is totally right. It's time IOMG woke up after the manx2 thing and stopped putting politics and statistics ahead of common sense.

No sense, no fear...

Plenty of sense and just a realistic approach to the facts.

There is a far greater chance of someone being involved in a fatal accident travelling towards the airport than there is flying with Citywing.

This comment on pprune sums it up:

I think without doubt this model of operation is broken. Its time the IOM Government woke up to their responsibilities and only allowed fully CAA licenced operators to work from the Island. All credit to the guys and gals at Citywing, they have had a good run, but this shambles should never have been allowed to continue after the Manx2 crash.

One could be forgiven for thinking that desperation to show growth in passenger figures paired with self-centered political and managerial incompetence may have led to this.

They're too desperate to justify their open sky policy and to be seen to have as many air routes to The IOM as possible even if a few are by a non-airline to craphouse regional airports like Blackpool. This is the government after all who gave the Oxford route to a 14 year old child (remember the Baby Branson press releases) about 10 years ago who subsequently went bankrupt. PPRUNE is totally right. It's time IOMG woke up after the manx2 thing and stopped putting politics and statistics ahead of common sense.

I doubt anyone is making and breaking policy over an operator who accounts for about 4% of the passengers flying out of Ronaldsway.

I don't agree with open skies personally (although we are nearly no longer there anyway really). If you don't agree with open skies then what City Wing do (exclusively operating routes) is exactly what you want anyway.

It isn't an airline. It's a booking service. Someone in IOMG would bust a gasket if we 'lost' two low volume routes to add to all the other routes we've lost in the last 10 years. It's about proving an expansion model on paper to meet civil service set KPIs on growth when the truth is totally different. I will never fly Citywing. I have no need to as I go to proper places served by proper airlines. The only time I did Citywing I thought it was shite flying on an ancient Eastern Bloc plane with a Pakistani crew. It's a joke airline that isn't even an airline.

Edited by JackCarter

It isn't an airline. It's a booking service. Someone in IOMG would bust a gasket if we 'lost' two low volume routes to add to all the other routes we've lost in the last 10 years. It's about proving an expansion model on paper to meet civil service set KPIs on growth when the truth is totally different. I will never fly Citywing. I have no need to as I go to proper places served by proper airlines. The only time I did Citywing I thought it was shite flying on an ancient Eastern Bloc plane with a Pakistani crew. It's a joke airline that isn't even an airline.

Do many airlines serve RAF Jurby these days? I guess you won't be travelling Citywing anytime soon, wouldn't want a prisoner on one of those tiny planes.

I fly regularly and have flown repeatedly with all the operators out of the Isle of Man.

City Wing/Manx 2/Whatever fill a need on certain routes. To be fair I wouldn't consider the experience of other carriers to be luxurious by any stretch of the imagination. There isn't a route that takes much more than an hour from here so I can't think it will ever be an experience where I need some sort of Business Class travel.

There isn't an expansion model to prove. That's been evident for 10 years. What we need is a diverse range of routes serving the island and City Wing have formed an important part of that offering.

Do many airlines serve RAF Jurby these days? I guess you won't be travelling Citywing anytime soon, wouldn't want a prisoner on one of those tiny planes.

You probably travel Cirywing so you can get a quick nosh of a ladyboy air hostess they've drafted in from Thailand to do the Blackpool route. The prison wifi is working fine. Unlike you.

Pakistani crew? I've travelled a few times, previously with Manx2 & Citywing, but can't say I recall seeing a Pakistani pilot.

• Like 1

Pakistani crew? I've travelled a few times, previously with Manx2 & Citywing, but can't say I recall seeing a Pakistani pilot.

Yes, about 2 years ago. I don't have any negative connotations about Pakistanis and wasn't suggesting as much (i could equally have said Germans or French) but they clearly didn't speak English and had been drafted in for the day as they had a few hours to kill. Citywing seem to take pretty much anyone who is kicking around between other flight rosters and offer them a few quid to fly a plane from A to B. No issues on nationality. But if they're used to flitting between Karachi and Dubai they're probably not that familiar with the landmarks of the North West of England.

The whole experience was crap.

I thought it was shite flying on an ancient Eastern Bloc plane with a Pakistani crew.

I don't have any negative connotations about Pakistanis and wasn't suggesting as much ... but they clearly didn't speak English and had been drafted in for the day... No issues with nationality.

You sure about that? Were you privy to comms? How do you know they'd "clearly been drafted in for the day"?

Shut up. It's clear how their business model works.

Edited by JackCarter