Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
asitis

Interesting at the airport !

I think that most people these days know not to use debit cards remotely

VISA Debit is fine. Pretty much the same protection as credit cards for flights and failed delivery of goods :)

• Like 1

I think that most people these days know not to use debit cards remotely

VISA Debit is fine. Pretty much the same protection as credit cards for flights and failed delivery of goods smile.png

Not convinced. I'd stick with my credit card for such purchases as they are jointly and severally liable with the provider in law. Protection on debit cards is developing but it seems to centre on chargeback - no good if there is nobody to charge - or the banks' goodwill, which I find is not often in copious supply.

http://www.money.co.uk/current-accounts/is-debit-card-protection-the-same-as-for-credit-cards.htm

• Like 2

A separate and additional issue with debit cards is that your account can end up being emptied or even overdrawn. That's potentially more than just inconvenient and could seemingly impact any other accounts with the same bank - irrespective of whether weeks or months later you can maybe finally get it sorted out.

• Like 2

Surprised travel watch haven't used this moment as an opportunity to warn travellers about the risks of virtual airlines and express hopes for a proper airline to operate. The unaware public need education and this is precisely th e sort of role travel watch should be doing

• Like 1

I've never owned a credit card. I've always used a visa debit card and have NEVER had any problem (with the cards that is).

I've never owned a credit card. I've always used a visa debit card and have NEVER had any problem (with the cards that is).

Long may that continue, but it's a bit like saying I don't have insurance and my house has never burned down.

Check the VISA debit site, full section on card protection. Same basis as credit cards but it does rely on the bank issuing the card being part of the scheme. I would wager most high street banks will be. I know for certain my bank is and it works. Not so sure on Maestro.

Long may that continue, but it's a bit like saying I don't have insurance and my house has never burned down.

Even if my house did burn down, the insurance companies would find some way out of paying up.