Interesting at the airport !

asitis

Does the Island actually need these routes though?.

You can get to Belfast easily enough from Dublin, a more frequent service to Dublin would be more use and no APD tax from Dublin or go via Liverpool/Manchester. Glasgow can be done via Dublin, Manchester, Gatwick and London City. Liverpool/Manchester instead of Blackpool, Birmingham/Bristol instead of Gloucester.

IoM - Dublin - Belfast = triple the travel time. Same with IoM - Manchester - Glasgow. etc. Many of those of us who go off island to see our clients and earn a crust (I have avoided this for a couple of years but it used to be virtually all my income) want to go over on a day trip and come home the same evening, or a few evenings later. So we like quick direct flights, early morning out and evening return, to airports close to our clients, to make the most of the working day. Obviously the leisured classes and folks who don't go off-island to do business are less bothered.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree that Gloucester and Blackpool are relatively easy to acces from Birmingham and Liverpool, the circuitous routes proposed by "ellanvannin2010" to Belfast and Glasgow would not work for day business trips. Higher frequency by smaller aircraft has proved to be the most effective solution.

• Like 1

You can get to Belfast easily enough from Dublin, a more frequent service to Dublin would be more use and no APD tax from Dublin or go via Liverpool/Manchester. Glasgow can be done via Dublin, Manchester, Gatwick and London City. Liverpool/Manchester instead of Blackpool, Birmingham/Bristol instead of Gloucester.

Bollocks. We don't actually need any air routes as we have a ferry that runs most days when it's not too windy or has hit something.

Regional air routes benefit the Island's economy as people can be in and out for business and they're the people prepared to pay the £99 one way fares.

The 'boat people' who have become a little jumped up, with the arrival of Easyjet, can stick to the round the houses routes.

If you want to be in Belfast, why would you want to waste half your day going to Dublin then a coach?

You really are a tit.

• Like 1

You really are a tit.

why

we like quick direct flights, early morning out and evening return, to airports close to our clients

That rather depends upon there even being airports near to where your clients happen to be. In this respect Belfast, Gloucester and Blackpool are, more or less, random destinations.

Today one's clients might just as likely be in Cork, Northampton or Carlisle. Or Milan, or Nice for that matter. Or anywhere else you can stick a pin in a map. Most client locations are not realistically going to be close by anywhere which is served by direct flights from IOM International.

ETA: personally I hate early morning flights anywhere. Early afternoon, after lunch, is my ideal time to travel.

Edited by pongo

IoM - Dublin - Belfast = triple the travel time. Same with IoM - Manchester - Glasgow. etc. Many of those of us who go off island to see our clients and earn a crust (I have avoided this for a couple of years but it used to be virtually all my income) want to go over on a day trip and come home the same evening, or a few evenings later. So we like quick direct flights, early morning out and evening return, to airports close to our clients, to make the most of the working day. Obviously the leisured classes and folks who don't go off-island to do business are less bothered.

In the case of GLA and BHD you can, in theory, be arriving at the destination before 10.00 travelling via Manchester with the return flight being around 18.30. Not particularly cheap but possible.

I have done both over the years as I would never fly with the ex ticket seller.

Eastern might look expensive on the surface but when you consider it's baggage included and includes catering and a proper safe attendant supported service which requires APD to be paid too it starts to look a bit better. What I'm not altogether sure on is whether one a day to each will attract enough business. Hopefully if pad support them they might consider basing a 41 on island again.