Interesting at the airport !

asitis

Quote from the forum on the pprune.org website which is well worth a read:

Is it just me that's amazed how critical people are here?

Just to clarify that from an announcement at 22:00 on a Friday, Eastern have been able to find space in their schedules (flights, maintenance, crew) on TWO of their aircraft. They have arranged ground handling and passenger services at 3 airports they don't currently operate into (VLY, BHD, IOM). They have insured that the crews will have also correct documents, to allow performance and airfield familiarisation be available to crew. They have done this in a 48 hour period, over a weekend.

Just purely looking at staff cost, office workers which would usually be off at the weekend, are likely to of had to of come in. Then you have had to find a crew of pilots and cabin crew willing to spend the next week in CWL, and from NCL crew that would be willing to take longer days.

Bear in mind they have also launched these routes with zero marketing or research. Especially the IOM they are taking a risk, that is not calculated.

An airline is not a charity, if the cost of running the route to get off the island right now is £99, that seems cheap to me based on what Eastern would of had to throw at this. You will only get cheaper costs and therefore flights if you have a historically good load factor, more frequencies , or bigger aircraft. If you want that, you will have to use it....or lose it

• Like 6

Just to clarify that from an announcement at 22:00 on a Friday, Eastern have been able to find space in their schedules (flights, maintenance, crew) on TWO of their aircraft. They have arranged ground handling and passenger services at 3 airports they don't currently operate into (VLY, BHD, IOM). They have insured that the crews will have also correct documents, to allow performance and airfield familiarisation be available to crew. They have done this in a 48 hour period, over a weekend.

Just purely looking at staff cost, office workers which would usually be off at the weekend, are likely to of had to of come in. Then you have had to find a crew of pilots and cabin crew willing to spend the next week in CWL, and from NCL crew that would be willing to take longer days.

Bear in mind they have also launched these routes with zero marketing or research. Especially the IOM they are taking a risk, that is not calculated.

An airline is not a charity, if the cost of running the route to get off the island right now is £99, that seems cheap to me based on what Eastern would of had to throw at this. You will only get cheaper costs and therefore flights if you have a historically good load factor, more frequencies , or bigger aircraft. If you want that, you will have to use it....or lose it

Brilliant! That person got it in one!

Although I don't think this will have been planned in just a weekend.

The troubles being encountered by Citywing in terms of finding available aircraft were well known within the aviation community.

Still, excellent work by T3!

Yes, agreed Eastern have done well. Personally, I'm delighted to have the connections maintained and that a reputable, UK regulated operator is in place. I'll happily live with the limitations of one flight a day. I can see the issue for business users, though, and just hope they get sufficient load factors to make the routes sustainable.

Yes, agreed Eastern have done well. Personally, I'm delighted to have the connections maintained and that a reputable, UK regulated operator is in place. I'll happily live with the limitations of one flight a day. I can see the issue for business users, though, and just hope Eastern get sufficient load factors to make the routes sustainable.

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 3

I'd be absolutely amazed if they did all that in 48 hours. Once we had the incident a fortnight ago I'm sure provisional plans were put in place and a lot of background work would have been done should the opportunity present itself. That's why you have someone in most businesses whose remit encompasses business development.

Edited by Lxxx

Maybe the early notice began when Ctiywing started phoning around. I can imagine the conversation..

CityWing: Hi Eastern, we are in a pickle here.

Eastern: No, you can't borrow our crew and aircraft.'

CtiyWing: But we are in the shit. We have some slots and customers, but we aint got the crew or plane. There could be a longterm deal involved cos vanair pilots are useless.

Eastern: We'll do it ourselves thanks.

• Like 1

Maybe the early notice began when Ctiywing started phoning around. I can imagine the conversation..

CityWing: Hi Eastern, we are in a pickle here.

Eastern: No, you can't borrow our crew and aircraft.'

CtiyWing: But we are in the shit. We have some slots and customers, but we aint got the crew or plane. There could be a longterm deal involved cos vanair pilots are useless.

Eastern: We'll do it ourselves thanks.

Spot on!

Citywing collapse being reported on the Independent (the UK newspaper, not the Isle of Man one)

'Calls for Virtual Airlines to be outlawed following collapse of Citywing'

"The aviation source, who requested anonymity, said Citywing had exploited gaps in the regulations on the safety and sale of air travel in the UK."

No shit Sherlock. But then again the Isle of Man, so desperate to keep poxy routes open to poxy airports so they can pretend we are an international finance centre, were happy to allow them to operate from here. That newspaper article says it all really and validates a lot of what was said earlier in the thread. A non-airline flying largely to non-destinations which re-branded after a previous death crash. I wouldn't ever touch it with a barge pole.

Edited by JackCarter

If we want the type of service that Eastern provides then we must realistically expect to pay a bit more for it.

Fifteen years ago we were paying over £300 return to Gatwick and, if I remember correctly, circa £200 to destinations such as Birmingham and Manchester.

We cannot expect the low cost formula on "thin" routes, however much we do like to have them !

Eastern can give us these routes, and if we use them, will probably continue to do so.

Edited by Cypman
  • Like 1

I love Eastern airways, they have proper planes with proper air hostesses - cups of tea, coffee, drinks from the bar and decent food. I hate Easyjet and that other blue one, they're not even cheap, they're just crap.

EasyJet IS cheap, especially if travelling with only hand luggage. I also dispute that they are crap.

Edited by forestboy
  • Like 2

The whole thing no matter when they started looking at it was done extremely quick. Don't be too surprised if in a couple weeks advertising of the full schedule. What they are doing now I would think was a quick fix, so better timings and weekends may appear at some point soon.

As for Citywing, some finer detail!

https://www.aeroinside.com/item/9151/van-l410-at-belfast-and-isle-of-man-on-feb-23th-2017-weather-related-diversion-results-in-grounding-of-airline

Citywing collapse being reported on the Independent (the UK newspaper, not the Isle of Man one)

'Calls for Virtual Airlines to be outlawed following collapse of Citywing'

"The aviation source, who requested anonymity, said Citywing had exploited gaps in the regulations on the safety and sale of air travel in the UK."

No shit Sherlock. But then again the Isle of Man, so desperate to keep poxy routes open to poxy airports so they can pretend we are an international finance centre, were happy to allow them to operate from here. That newspaper article says it all really and validates a lot of what was said earlier in the thread. A non-airline flying largely to non-destinations which re-branded after a previous death crash. I wouldn't ever touch it with a barge pole.

Routes were NOT poxy for many including myself.

• Like 1