Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
llap

Driving in broad daylight with bright lights on

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

Why do so many people in the morning have their lights on full blast even though it's broad daylight? It's got to be wasting their batteries and it causes people who look at the lights to get a headache. Are people blind or something?

1) Doesn't use battery, these days cars have alternators

2) EU legislation requires daylight running lights in new cars, a good thing IMO.

• Like 1

What's an alternator?

Why's it good to needlessly shine lights during broad daylight?

I think this must be o joke thread, but in case not as stated above the lights don't drain the battery and in most modern vehicles you don't have the option to drive without some lights on.

The lights are to help illuminate rogue dog turds on the pavement, I've heard its a major problem in Onchan.

Edited by mojomonkey
  • Like 2

1) google

2) if you can see the head lights, you can see the car.

1) har har - I don't care enough.

2) Not if temporarily blinded by the bright light.

People use the lights during the day more as a way of making sure people see them rather than trying to see the road. May be OK around town, but on the country roads in-between, having your lights on may be the difference between someone trying to do an overtake having not seen you, and you staying alive!

Good rule of thumb is if you stick your windscreen wipers on due to rain, then you should also put your headlights on.

Driving with lights makes sense. Especially on grey IOM days.

But overly bright headlights are an issue IMO. I hope that the govt will legislate to outlaw halogens etc - but meanwhile encourage owners to take repsonsibility. Some modern cars have bulbs fitted which are unncessarily bright even when dipped. You cannot look into them without them leaving a persistent reminder - and that's dangerous. If you cannot look into your own dipped headlights without it being uncomfortably bright, then you should get your bulbs replaced.

• Like 2

The LED brake lights are the worst. If you're behind them at traffic lights in the dark you need to put your sun visor down or risk permanent blindness.

The LED brake lights are the worst. If you're behind them at traffic lights in the dark you need to put your sun visor down or risk permanent blindness.

They should use the handbrake........

My running lights (dipped headlights) are on all the time, I have no choice because that's the way vehicles are required to be by regulation these days. But since learning on this forum some time ago that it intensely annoys Woolley, I resolved to use main beam all day. Now lllap too, eh? Fog lights.

Edited by guzzi
  • Like 2