Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

No Teachers For Our Kids-- Why ?

I find that hard to believe.

The primary school class my daughter is in doesn't have anywhere close to 30 kids in and she seems to be doing well.

Edited by notwell

Pay teachers more, offer incentives, reduce class sizes.

Hardly rocket science (class).

I think that's one of the things we can agree on. If you want more teachers and thus reduced class sizes, pay teachers more and incentivise? ways into teacher training.

I was in a class of around 15 to 25, which was enough. There was enough disruption in those classes anyway, and I imagine it's harder due to the amount of phones in the classroom there days. (Though of course there are massive advantages to people having phones in the class room too, such as browsing the net thus increasing reading comprehension, and writing skills)

Why would I lie Notty? Ans made a similar comment, I guess you're either from out of town or you're 'religious'.

Why would I lie Notty? Ans made a similar comment, I guess you're either from out of town or you're 'religious'.

I'm not religious at all.thumbsup.gif

And I don't know what you class as "out of town". My daughter goes to a school in Douglas.

I suspect it is different in different schools? There is circa 20 in her class, if that. I know of another with similar. There again a girl that works with me says at her daughters school they seem to combine year 1 and 2 classes for certain activities.

It would help if catchment areas were expanded.

Assuming there isn't already one, would having something like a school-centred initial teacher training course (SCITT) scheme on the Island help at all? I could be wrong, having only had a cursory look at the Department of Education's website, but it seems like the only way for residents on the Island to gain qualified teacher training is to travel across to do something like a BEd or Post Graduate Certificate of Education. Some of the problems with that are:

• it's difficult, or even impossible for a lot of people on the Island who might consider changing careers to go into teaching to do so; and
  • it runs the risk that those who do go across for teacher training will pick up a job there after qualifying and end up putting down roots while they wait for a teaching job to open up on the Island, making it less likely they'll return.

If there are enough people on the Island thinking of going into teaching to justify running a SCITT scheme (or something similar), possibly supported in some way by the college, doing so makes it a lot easier for them to train and qualify as a teacher and potentially opens up a whole new pool of candidates from which the schools could recruit. This might at least partially alleviate the problem we currently have of trying to attract people from the UK and other places.

• Like 3

Assuming there isn't already one, would having something like a school-centred initial teacher training course (SCITT) scheme on the Island help at all? I could be wrong, having only had a cursory look at the Department of Education's website, but it seems like the only way for residents on the Island to gain qualified teacher training is to travel across to do something like a BEd or Post Graduate Certificate of Education. Some of the problems with that are:

• it's difficult, or even impossible for a lot of people on the Island who might consider changing careers to go into teaching to do so; and
  • it runs the risk that those who do go across for teacher training will pick up a job there after qualifying and end up putting down roots while they wait for a teaching job to open up on the Island, making it less likely they'll return.

If there are enough people on the Island thinking of going into teaching to justify running a SCITT scheme (or something similar), possibly supported in some way by the college, doing so makes it a lot easier for them to train and qualify as a teacher and potentially opens up a whole new pool of candidates from which the schools could recruit. This might at least partially alleviate the problem we currently have of trying to attract people from the UK and other places.

A really good idea, I know that the college will run a basic teacher training course should there be demand but I'm unsure of the relevance of the qualification for teaching the school curriculum?

From what I hear even the few Manx students that go away to be trained to teach don't come back as they're not offering any jobs back here.

A really good idea, I know that the college will run a basic teacher training course should there be demand but I'm unsure of the relevance of the qualification for teaching the school curriculum?

Couldn't find anything at the college other than a Certificate in Education in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector, though I did find out elsewhere that Jersey has since 2005 been running a scheme that sounds very similar to the one I suggested---it's called the Jersey Graduate Teacher Training Programme (JGTTP) and is run in conjunction with the Institute of Education at the University of London.

It seems to have been a success, training 56 members of the local community over nine years who then went on to teach in Jersey's schools. The main limitation, if it is such, seems to be that those who graduate from the course aren't eligible to teach in UK schools (should they wish to do so, there are conversion courses available in the UK).

If the Jersey scheme has been successful, I would hope we would be able to do something similar. Perhaps there's even scope for partnering with Jersey's scheme in some way that lets us benefit from their experience with a now mature course and lessens any costs (for both us and Jersey) resulting from the University of London's involvement.

• Like 2

Thanks Sarah, I thought I remembered that they ran a PGCE for primary teaching but wasn't 100% sure. Do you know why they got rid of it?

I think it would still be worth the government looking into a local, wholly in-school training scheme, like the SCITT, graduate training programme, or Jersey's scheme, even if we were running PGCE's, if only because it offers to open the profession up to those who would find it difficult to take a year or so out to follow one of those courses.

From what I hear even the few Manx students that go away to be trained to teach don't come back as they're not offering any jobs back here.

That isn't true. It tends to be mixed. Some return. Some teach elsewhere. I know of a couple of cases for both.

That isn't true. It tends to be mixed. Some return. Some teach elsewhere. I know of a couple of cases for both.

I do too.

I feel very old knowing that some kids who went to school with ours are now teachers and even doctors on the island now. ohmy.png

• Like 1