Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mannin1

No Teachers For Our Kids-- Why ?

This is painful Jack.

I'm not combining arguments. Statements were made that are not true. I've pulled those statements up and there is no evidence to prove those statements were correct.

Meanwhile the IOM's own guide (that you linked to) says nothing of forcing people to either move pensions over or stop them moving them back. The UK and Scottish guidance is exactly the same. I could post a link but what's the point when you can't be arsed to read them properly (as demonstrated with the IOM link)

And, more importantly, the original slant on this whole thing was yet another poorly contructed attempt to negatively portray the island as a place that a teacher would never want to move or come back to (because of course the only consideration is the pension - sigh).

Painful stuff. It really is.

• Like 1

I could post a link but what's the point when you can't be arsed to read them properly (as demonstrated with the IOM link)

No I think you should post the link. Rather than threaten to post the link and then move on to another subject in the hope that other people might think you have answered the question.

In response to your other point. Clearly the IOM has a current recruitment problem with teachers as the Island is too expensive and the pension situation isn't ideal.

Why else would they try to bribe them with four grand and £200pm to come here?

https://www.locate.im/article/work-employment/teaching-jobs-in-demand/

Edited by hboy

I think you are misquoting me. The empirical evidence was the original news story. That evidence isn't diluted just because the island is not the only place with a teacher recruitment problem. That over-simple thinking would be a bit illogical.

I think we have pretty much explained, many times that you can avoid the pension issue by opting out or not transferring but the huge financial penalties render it such a backward step, the effective position is if you come here for other than a very short time, you really do have to move your pension here. It is mighty easy for someone not loosing such benefits to suggest bring it here is optional no matter what. It is in very simple terms but in real-life terms it is not effectively an option.

The transfer back issue is still to be proven and notwell is right in respect that it is up to us to prove it not for him to disprove.

I don't agree with this.

Someone could move to the IOM and end up much higher up the career scale than they might ever have done in the UK.

There are lots of factors to consider in any relocation.

But I don't agree that it will inhibit, per se, anyone relocating here. All moves need to be judged on their own merits and people aged 25 are not looking at life through a pensioners eyes.

I could post a link but what's the point when you can't be arsed to read them properly (as demonstrated with the IOM link)

No I think you should post the link. Rather than threaten to post the link and then move on to another subject in the hope that other people might think you have answered the question.

In response to your other point. Clearly the IOM has a current recruitment problem with teachers as the Island is too expensive and the pension situation isn't ideal.

Why else would they try to bribe them with four grand and £200pm to come here?

https://www.locate.im/article/work-employment/teaching-jobs-in-demand/

Sigh.

I sometimes wonder if you are about 12 Jack.

The IOM has a teacher shortage because there is a general teacher shortage. They have a shortage all over the UK too in places that are more expensive to live than the IOM and places that are cheaper.

It isn't "bribing" people is it? How fucking childish is that?

It rightly recognises that people relocating here need some assistance. It's a big thing to move location.

I dont see any link in that reply.

You should ask your mum or dad about discussing topics with adults. You are not doing very well.

I assume your Jack log in has been banned?

I dont see any link in that reply.

You should ask your mum or dad about discussing topics with adults. You are not doing very well.

I assume your Jack log in has been banned?

Sorry. I think we all missed the link to back up what you said.

That is very clear an unambiguous. Unlike notwells pronouncements.

"In view of this, any teacher planning to teach on the Isle of Man before returning to the UK, who remains teaching on the Isle of Man for more than 5 years, would not be able to rejoin the UK Teachers Pension Scheme as an existing member. They would therefore be treated as a new member, with a retirement age of 65 years."

A total disincentive to transfer in or even come here in the first place.

thanks sarahc.

Humble pie anyone?

Notwell? hey you can even have seconds.......

• Like 1

Er.....

as I said, it simply isn't the case that one set of circumstances exists.

Are you saying someone who can get 50% more salary and a promotion etc won't move ?

In a worst case scenario you would have segregated benefits. Personally I'd rather retire with two or three scheme accruals and maDe it to 60 plus thousand than sat there getting to 35k just because it kept me in the same exact scheme.

Er.....

as I said, it simply isn't the case that one set of circumstances exists.

Are you saying someone who can get 50% more salary and a promotion etc won't move ?

In a worst case scenario you would have segregated benefits. Personally I'd rather retire with two or three scheme accruals and maDe it to 60 plus thousand than sat there getting to 35k just because it kept me in the same exact scheme.

No. You're just a dick that doesn't check his facts before firing off.

He does have a point in that 20 somethings do not look at life through the prism of a pension that is 40 years away. They look at the here and now and the all round package they will get - now. A bigger disincentive than pension will be the high cost of everything particularly housing. Lower tax does not compensate for that, and it's not that much lower anyway at a teachers salary level.