Ramsey Courthouse For Sale

Douglas Prom

...it's a pile of old iron that couldn't even pay it's way when we had loads of tourists. Same with the Douglas iron pier...and who longs for that back?

Wake up, and get your priorities right.

It would be nice if the pier could be redone with private money, but I don't think any tax payers money could be justified on it.

• Like 1

It isn't cheap though Roger. At all.

It's a limited use site with a listed building on it. It needs significant investment as a private enterprise.

The estate agent is responsible for what they publish. And at the end of the day their only real job is to raise the interest that someone wants to view it.

I would be very surprised to see it in private hands because it isn't some golden goose of an investment

The fact that even Chrystals seemed unaware of this suggests either incredible incompetence or some under-the -counter deal.

Or that Chrystals are aware of the adverse publicity being involved in selling off land with a war memorial on it could cause.

If the UK media were aware of it they'd be all over the story like flies round shite.

They could possibly use Glasgow council's four-step redevelopment plan.

Sell large patch of land with listed building to developer to help fund collapsed unrealistic pension system.

Listed building inexplicably bursts into flames one night and burns so vigorously that it is beyond recovery.

Cooling off period to let the public get over their outrage.

Land gets new "luxury" properties built on it.

If Ramsey courthouse does get used as a community centre then things have changed dramatically since the era of youth-clubs and coffee mornings. I'd expect a typical venue like this to become one or more of the following:-

A "maker space" workshop where everyone has access to a selection of technical equipment like 3D printers, pillar drills and laser cutters.

A mini studio. Just a bare room with decent lighting, a table and the walls painted in grey and/or greenscreen with some acoustic absorption panels.

Communal meeting rooms with a table and chairs for modellers, gamers and other hobby or social groups.

A fast Internet WiFi connection for communal use.

A simple easy to clean kitchen facility for everyone in the building.

If Ramsey courthouse does get used as a community centre then things have changed dramatically since the era of youth-clubs and coffee mornings. I'd expect a typical venue like this to become one or more of the following:-

A "maker space" workshop where everyone has access to a selection of technical equipment like 3D printers, pillar drills and laser cutters.

A mini studio. Just a bare room with decent lighting, a table and the walls painted in grey and/or greenscreen with some acoustic absorption panels.

Communal meeting rooms with a table and chairs for modellers, gamers and other hobby or social groups.

Have they done that to war memorials?

No. The war memorial would become an architectural feature in an internal illuminated garden area so that they could build above it.

Next time I'm down Ramsey, I'll give you a shout.

I think you need a hand to find the plot you seem to have lost.

You could never be serious about any of your ideas for the place. ohmy.png

• Like 1

RTC's offer, by whatever arrangement, is @ £80k less than the asking price? So if Malarkey/DHA are representing the greater taxpayer interest, as they claim to be, they may still not accept anyway if a higher bidder moves?

Will RTC be stumping up for this too?

Actually, I'm going big on the Town Band now. Flatten the war memorial and move it somewhere else, and put a bandstand / stage there for live performances of all sorts, all year around. LIve theatre, music, poetry, speakers corner.

That would give Ramsey something that would make it a bit different to the rest of the island. Which is why it won't happen.

• Like 1