Ramsey Courthouse For Sale

Douglas Prom

I would actually get behind RTC if only they could come up with a proposal for its use that actually makes sense. Not one of the suggestions that has been put forward has any merit. They are all either unrealistic or the need is already being met by other buildings.

I would actually get behind RTC if only they could come up with a proposal for its use that actually makes sense. Not one of the suggestions that has been put forward has any merit. They are all either unrealistic or the need is already being met by other buildings.

Yes, a museum of gloom is all they could do with that building. Perhaps a few exhibits of depressing Ramsey through the ages - rum, sodomy, and ships full of herring, as it translates into the contemporary Ramsey of today with charity shops, shit pubs, and pugilistic alcoholics bashing people's faces in. The only reason they didn't dynamite the pier is so the residents had something to jump off when it all got too much.

Jack, this "Museum of Gloom " , based on rum, sodomy and herring, shit pubs and charity shops ,updated to include bashing peoples faces in, has definitely ousted the notion of a post office and / or courthouse / police station - and all others from the prime slot.

This is , without doubt, the most significant proposal to date!

However, I am sorry to say,it is ridiculous, defamatory and fundementally flawed.

I mean, ... seriously ... Rum?

Actually, I'm going big on the Town Band now. Flatten the war memorial and move it somewhere else, and put a bandstand / stage there for live performances of all sorts, all year around. LIve theatre, music, poetry, speakers corner.

That would give Ramsey something that would make it a bit different to the rest of the island. Which is why it won't happen.

We all find Ramsey 'different' already, and as for street theatre I saw a great two man show outside bar logo the other day, was a modern minimalist piece where the two actors played a pair of drunk losers with one boasting how they had £100 cash in pocket and they were going to drink it all. Edited by j2bad
  • Like 1

This is a classic example of the MF paradox in action.

I value an anonymous forum where people are free to put forward opposing views. It was joked on Friday at the requisition meeting that it would be a brave person to stand up and say they weren’t in favour of the Courthouse staying in public hands and it was true. There is a real danger of a confirmation cycle and opposing points of view are welcomed and necessary.

However….. it’s hard to glean the valid points amongst the usual abusive trolling and piss takers. Is it a valid point alongside a quip against Ramsey. Is it just a contrary position for the sake of it? I grow tired of trying to find out.

• Like 3

I value an anonymous forum where people are free to put forward opposing views. It was joked on Friday at the requisition meeting that it would be a brave person to stand up and say they weren’t in favour of the Courthouse staying in public hands and it was true. There is a real danger of a confirmation cycle and opposing points of view are welcomed and necessary.

However….. it’s hard to glean the valid points amongst the usual abusive trolling and piss takers. Is it a valid point alongside a quip against Ramsey. Is it just a contrary position for the sake of it? I grow tired of trying to find out.

You're proposing to take on the Courthouse. So here's some questions that I hope you can answer.

i) What is the definitive plan that you propose for the site?

ii) What is the social and economic benefit be to Ramsey which will justify the rise in rates?

iii) Why should the Government just hand it over to RTC?

My preference would be to see it leveled and a nice lawn put in its place!

• Like 1

They could possibly use Glasgow council's four-step redevelopment plan.

Sell large patch of land with listed building to developer to help fund collapsed unrealistic pension system.

Listed building inexplicably bursts into flames one night and burns so vigorously that it is beyond recovery.

Cooling off period to let the public get over their outrage.

Land gets new "luxury" properties built on it.

how they treated the showmen was f**king disgusting

You're proposing to take on the Courthouse. So here's some questions that I hope you can answer.

i) What is the definitive plan that you propose for the site?

ii) What is the social and economic benefit be to Ramsey which will justify the rise in rates?

iii) Why should the Government just hand it over to RTC?

My preference would be to see it leveled and a nice lawn put in its place!

i ) don't have one at present, had we not been put into a 3 week timescale we would likely be further along with this than we are presently. We are currently hoping to start some feasibility studies for a couple of options in the near future. It's a bit chicken and egg though because if we don't win the bid for the courthouse we have spent time/money on a wasted study.

ii ) It will hopefully provide another amenity and/or attraction to the town which should encourage people into the town centre.

iii ) Well.... the Government are not being asked to "just hand it over" and never have been so I am not sure where your question has come from?

• Like 1

Whereas the RTC position seems to be the one of 'something must be done' without them really knowing what. Why were they not pro-active on this? The moment the police station was moved, it was obvious that - longer term - there was going to be questions marks as to the use of the building. Putting a post office in there, when they are closing down all over the UK, was hardly a long-term plan. So what now? The building has little value as it is, so it will need reconfiguring whatever happens. Who should fund that? Is there actually any demand for this 'space' beyond the cries of 'something must be done'?

If I lived in Ramsey, and I thought that I was going to have to pay a chunk for something to enhance the town, I'd rather you planted a few more daffodils in the Mooragh Park, which really IS the jewel of the town, instead of subsidising a lump of concrete just 'because'.

Edited by parchedpeas

If the proposal is to create some sort of commissioner run community arts centre it is doomed, just look at Douglas and see for yourself we have the Villa, Gaiety and Villa Arcade all architecturally interesting and all supposedly community arts venues which sit empty most days. The place where wannabee artists hang out is Noah Bake house a private venture really something like that would probably be your best bet for providing a cool place for gigs etc, so perhaps the commissioners buy it and then lease it out, you can then be selective about how the building is used and generate income rather than being a dead loss and further burden on ratepayers.

• Like 2