Jump to content

Ramsey Courthouse For Sale


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not quite.   Northern Courts were held in church halls and all sorts of odd places.   A new court was being built in Douglas by the Duke of Atholl as Governor out of revenues belonging to the Cr

The hall was full and the general impression given was that there are other options, but initially lets not be provocative and see how it plays out before plans are put into play.   Then members of

No .Bloody hell .No!The principle of a war memorial is not to remember the wars - or glorify any war - or our glorious leaders on horse back in bronze but it is to remind us that people died, mostl

Posted Images

It would make a fine bar and restaurant, RTC should lease it at a competitive price and at least try to recoup some of their outlay. It appears to have been an emotional purchase with little thought to what it was going to be used for. If I was a Ramsey rate payer I would not be happy with the present situation. As Derek says, put sensible covenants put in place and move on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps not the point though. Hooded Ram didn't buy it, the Ramsey ratepayers did...?

Perhaps its absolutely the point

It's a setback in it being given the chance to be used as a great community centre, it's not the outcome anyone wanted but it was worth giving people a chance to make it happen, so the tender process starts again and it's up to people who have business and community ideas to come forward and make something happen.

That, to me, is a far better outcome than it sitting in private ownership either completely dormant or having been converted into a pub chain that has subsequently closed down.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Perhaps its absolutely the point

It's a setback in it being given the chance to be used as a great community centre, it's not the outcome anyone wanted but it was worth giving people a chance to make it happen, so the tender process starts again and it's up to people who have business and community ideas to come forward and make something happen.

That, to me, is a far better outcome than it sitting in private ownership either completely dormant or having been converted into a pub chain that has subsequently closed down.

I wouldn't dispute some of that Rhumsaa, but at the end of the day to date, few of the proposals raised to justify its purchase have come to fruition (with the exception of the farmer's market, pun not intended).

Three years of charitable effort have now been sadly wasted too. It's dormant all right, for six days a week with very few exceptions. How long are we proposing to continue trying to find a use to offer some return for it, whilst continuing to be responsible for its upkeep?

Simply making light of the situation whilst offering hypothetical "it could be worse scenarios" isn't bringing in any return for the outlay, since cited by yourself as being "over the odds".

ETA. I am I right in thinking that the new owners of the Waterloo Rd Methodist Church have their own ambitions for a community and exhibition centre? A bit of unwelcome competition?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Disappointing but pretty much as I thought it might prevail. COVID will have played a part, but I was surprised they only raised 14 grand.  I think they needed about 10x that?

the plan should now be for RTC to take it on the chin, apply some well thought out covenants and get it on the open market and off the ratepayers burden.

somebodies brother in  law is bound to want it for the right price.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I wouldn't dispute some of that Rhumsaa, but at the end of the day to date, few of the proposals raised to justify its purchase have come to fruition (with the exception of the farmer's market, pun not intended).

Three years of charitable effort have now been sadly wasted too. It's dormant all right, for six days a week with very few exceptions. How long are we proposing to continue trying to find a use to offer some return for it, whilst continuing to be responsible for its upkeep?

Simply making light of the situation whilst offering hypothetical "it could be worse scenarios" isn't bringing in any return for the outlay, since cited by yourself as being "over the odds".

I'm not in any way shape or form making light of it, I stand by my assertion that purchasing it rather than allowing it to become another unused asset of a private buyer was the right move

I'd much prefer things to have moved faster, and not just in the case of the Courthouse, but also I'm a realist and when you purchase a large landmark building in the centre of the town you do everything you can to make it work for the good of the town and sometimes that means giving it some time. The idea that the best option is to sell it again now is absolute madness and a financial mistake if nothing else.

Castletown have fought their chamber of commerce every step of the way to create in a car park what we have 

Douglas are getting the Government to dump insane amount of money to try and crowbar a town centre outside the Gaiety and are building a big tent up by the Grandstand

The Courthouse area is an amazing setting and town centre area that any town on the Island would be envious of having, just need some community minded people to step up and take advantage of it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I'm not in any way shape or form making light of it, I stand by my assertion that purchasing it rather than allowing it to become another unused asset of a private buyer was the right move

I'd much prefer things to have moved faster, and not just in the case of the Courthouse, but also I'm a realist and when you purchase a large landmark building in the centre of the town you do everything you can to make it work for the good of the town and sometimes that means giving it some time. The idea that the best option is to sell it again now is absolute madness and a financial mistake if nothing else.

Castletown have fought their chamber of commerce every step of the way to create in a car park what we have 

Douglas are getting the Government to dump insane amount of money to try and crowbar a town centre outside the Gaiety and are building a big tent up by the Grandstand

The Courthouse area is an amazing setting and town centre area that any town on the Island would be envious of having, just need some community minded people to step up and take advantage of it

Totally agree with you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some might say that it would certainly be a financial mistake to resell because it wouldn't realise what was outlaid for it in the first instance? The Courthouse and its grounds already have competition both from a proposal for the Methodist Church and the Town's own Market Square for indoor and outdoor functions.

As I see it, there are two obstacles. Firstly, the community minded people willing to try are in short supply, the last possessed considerable drive and have still failed.

Secondly, the level of business and economic movement available in the rest of the town to justify that input and effort. It doesn't currently exist, though fallout from COVID hasn't helped.

We could well be left in this situation for many years before, if ever, something to offer some sort of return materializes. So do the Commissioners have any timeframe for how long they are prepared to remain responsible pending the arrival of a viable return-offering usage for the Courthouse? There has already been considerable expenditure on alterations and upkeep?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Castletown have fought their chamber of commerce every step of the way to create in a car park what we have 

Douglas are getting the Government to dump insane amount of money to try and crowbar a town centre outside the Gaiety and are building a big tent up by the Grandstand

The Courthouse area is an amazing setting and town centre area that any town on the Island would be envious of having, just need some community minded people to step up and take advantage of it

Funny isn't it that there are long millions available for town (and village) regeneration.  But only if it involves Chinese granite

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Funny isn't it that there are long millions available for town (and village) regeneration.  But only if it involves Chinese granite

I'm sure I'm in the DOI bad books as it is without starting to kick off about that on here too

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Some might say that it would certainly be a financial mistake to resell because it wouldn't realise what was outlaid for it in the first instance? The Courthouse and its grounds already have competition both from a proposal for the Methodist Church and the Town's own Market Square for indoor and outdoor functions.

As I see it, there are two obstacles. Firstly, the community minded people willing to try are in short supply, the last possessed considerable drive and have still failed.

Secondly, the level of business and economic movement available in the rest of the town to justify that input and effort. It doesn't currently exist, though fallout from COVID hasn't helped.

We could well be left in this situation for many years before, if ever, something to offer some sort of return materializes. So do the Commissioners have any timeframe for how long they are prepared to remain responsible pending the arrival of a viable return-offering usage for the Courthouse? There has already been considerable expenditure on alterations and upkeep?

Firstly don't make me add some kind of BS signature on here about "all the opinions on here are my own" or whatever by asking questions couched in terms of "do the commissioners..." because that's not something I will or can answer unless you catch me by surprise. I've been on MF over 15 years and I'm not someone who has greased into these forums shortly before an election to try and throw rocks inside skulls or whatever, generally I'm just here for a bit of a chortle and occasional enjoyable debate.

With that being said...

Methodist Church - what proposals?

Market Square doesn't exist, Market Place however to my mind does not compete at all and has a totally different and complimentary opportunity to the vibe that can be realised outside the Courthouse.

Agree that community minded people seem scarce, there's a lot of people willing to say "I think x should happen" but few are making it happen. The plan placed on the table by THOR was very ambitious and that high capital requirement was their undoing - a lot of work has been done by them and maybe the second bite of the cherry will learn from those issues and succeed.

I'm not an economist and I don't have figures for the flow of trade throughout the town but if you build it they will come. I appreciate that is very simplistic and arguably idealistic but 2 years ago I didn't have high hopes for a shop opening up as winter approached which sold exclusively ice cream. Currently that shop is one that attracts people from all over the Island. If the right facility is created it has a captive market in the North.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...