Ramsey Courthouse For Sale

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not quite.   Northern Courts were held in church halls and all sorts of odd places.   A new court was being built in Douglas by the Duke of Atholl as Governor out of revenues belonging to the Cr

The hall was full and the general impression given was that there are other options, but initially lets not be provocative and see how it plays out before plans are put into play.   Then members of

No .Bloody hell .No!The principle of a war memorial is not to remember the wars - or glorify any war - or our glorious leaders on horse back in bronze but it is to remind us that people died, mostl

Posted Images

The old court house might be a good venue for the Saturday market as the weather starts closing in.

And similar ad hoc events which need a community hall which is actually central and valued as a venue. Much nicer than all those horrible 1970s church halls.

I don't see any reason for it to need to be anything clever or money making.

Meanwhile - all of this rubbish about turning the MER into some vision of a transport future is utter dilettantism - daft nonsense from people with too little else to do.

A much better bus service, ultimately electric, is a far more modern and forward thinking concept. And it's achievable in affordable steps.

Also - let's never again listen to anyone who uses awful clichés about thinking outside-the-box. Or similar.

The MER line would make a fantastic cycle route. It would be a world class facility.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, pongo said:

The MER line would make a fantastic cycle route. It would be a world class facility.

Completely agree

You could maintain one line for seasonal trams and have a cycle route that is actually achievable for normal people to use to travel between Ramsey and Douglas

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Apple said:

Oh, I see. Another term for someone with learning / physical disabilities. How clever and humorous. 

It’s not like you didn’t know but I thought I’d give you the reason to get outraged about it by posting the link explaining the reference. There’s one or two regulars who kick off in a fairly hilarious way every time similar words are used. So I would guess you can now crack on in the way you proposed to. 

53 minutes ago, pongo said:

The pro-cyclist people tend to refer to other countries such as Holland - and often show someone on and old-fashioned upright bicycle wearing ordinary clothes, just trundling along to do their shopping.

This link shows the average distance travelled by Dutch cyclists, and it isn't very far:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/620169/average-biking-distance-per-person-per-day-in-the-netherlands-by-gender/

This next video is of a Copenhagener complaining about a cycle bridge - at 2:50 he complains "the grade of this bridge is really steep". It looks dead flat to me. In contrast the grade on some sections of the Ramsey-Laxey MER track would be suitable for a Tour-de-France stage.

https://digg.com/video/why-copenhagens-bicycle-bridges-are-so-godawful

This next  video is interesting as it is the view of a Dutch person in USA. I'll summarise the video - all Americans wear Lycra, helmets and are pedalling furiously as though in some kind of race. At 5:07 his final comment is "seeing more upright cyclists in ordinary clothes..."

I get the impression that most of the IoM pro-cyclist lobby are the lycra-louts who see the roads as a personal training ground for racing - paid for by other people. That is not the view given in the two above videos.

In my opinion the roads, terrain and weather of the IoM are not suitable for general purpose cycling. From a safety point of view, I would not ride a cycle on the roads here, and I would not have let my children ride cycles to secondary school. In the case of an accident between a cyclist and a car it is not a matter of who is to blame, it is a matter of making sure you stay in one piece.

And this is nothing to do with the Courthouse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The pro-cyclist people tend to refer to other countries such as Holland etc

My suggestion is that the route of the old fashioned tourist railway, the MER would today make much more sense as a cycle route.

The route was carved out during an era when the IOM was a tourist destination. Today the IOM has no significant tourist industry apart from around motorbikes - and that's indirectly significantly funded by the tax payer. The MER tourist railway has a cultural significance equivalent to Victorian fayre ground rides. It's not even a significant railway in terms of engineering.

But the route is unbelievably amazing. My belief has nothing to do with the idea of cycling as a practical form of A to B transportation. I don't care about that. It's about people getting out for exercise and leisure - cycling an amazing route with fantastic views and countryside we should be proud of.

ETA: it's not about the Court House. I agree. But the point was raised and I'm responding. That's the nature of threads; they evolve. Obviously the issue of a collision with a car is irrelevant - asssuming cars don't start driving down cycle routes. Which are the future.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s not like you didn’t know but I thought I’d give you the reason to get outraged about it by posting the link explaining the reference. 

There is no outrage. Only pity that someone has to continue to plumb those depths these days in search of a laugh, as any parent of a child with such problems would probably tell you. Ah well, such is life eh?

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Apple said:

There is no outrage. Only pity that someone has to continue to plumb those depths these days in search of a laugh, as any parent of a child with such problems would probably tell you. 

Well there’s a fair few seagulls who just like to spread crap over this forum. I was just pointing out that I’m sure you hardly needed to be told what that word meant as, sadly, it’s pretty much still in common use. It looked like you were trying to find a reason to be offended. If that’s not the case then apologies.  

Edited by thesultanofsheight
9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well there’s a fair few seagulls who just like to spread crap over this forum. I was just pointing out that I’m sure you hardly needed to be told what that word meant as, sadly, it’s pretty much still in common use. It looked like you were trying to find a reason to be offended. If that’s not the case then apologies.  

Appreciated.