Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
dilligaf

Driving in fog

Was that an amazing typo of 'shifts' or no? tongue.png

Er. No.

I'm certainly not immune to those sorts of things though. I think my best lapse was long ago on a thread that had gotten on to East European prostitutes operating in Douglas. I posted that they should be kicked out straightaway, but the k being next to the l, it emerged as they should be licked out straightaway. Someone, can't remember who (but it has a Stinky feel about it) volunteered immediately, "especially those Polish blondes".

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

My car has auto lights, you cannot switch the fogs on when in auto.

This tells the driver visibility is reduced, not the light level - so, switch to manual to select fogs.

So, reduced visibility means you want to consider fog lights, need to switch to manual to be ready, so your lights will be on.

I'm also surprised at the number of people who don't put their wipers to the mist setting when driving in mist/fog. A setting that puts the wipers on a timed wipe when the fogs are on seems a good idea. Should stop people driving about with front fogs all the time too.

DLRs on some cars are so bright people seem to think there headlights are on, when they are not. A safety issue would be an illuminated rear end for cars with DLRs. That Nissan Duke is a pain in the arse that. Often follow them in the dark with no rear lights on.

People with auto lights should also switch to manual side lights when loading on the boat in hours of darkness. Deck handlers must get really pissed off with some drivers blinding them on the ramps with modern headlights, even on dipped beam.

A little tip which I learned when riding in the races in the mist long ago, is to keep an eye on the gaps between the dashed white lines in the middle of the road. While the gaps are long, the road is reasonably straight. As soon as there is a corner looming, the gaps between the lines get shorter.

This is probably in the Highway Code somewhere but I wasn't aware of it and it is useful to know,

• Like 3

A little tip which I learned when riding in the races in the mist long ago, is to keep an eye on the gaps between the dashed white lines in the middle of the road. While the gaps are long, the road is reasonably straight. As soon as there is a corner looming, the gaps between the lines get shorter.

This is probably in the Highway Code somewhere but I wasn't aware of it and it is useful to know,

You're putting a lot of Faith in the DOI there though!

• Like 3

Rule 127

A broken white line. This marks the centre of the road. When this line lengthens and the gaps shorten, it means that there is a hazard ahead. Do not cross it unless you can see the road is clear and wish to overtake or turn off.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to accident black spot signs?

I like that one with the exclamation mark in a red triangle. Drive another 100 yards to be confronted by a massive exclamation mark blocking your way.

Whatever happened to accident black spot signs?

"Calling 'Blind Pugh' (?sp) ?flowers.gif

• Like 1

This,attachicon.giffog etc.JPG

Yes. This is the UK version:

Rule 113

You MUST

• ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise
  • use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified
  • use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.

It appears that when they adapted it for the IOM someone decided that either Manx streetlighting is total crap or Manx drivers are three parts blind so they changed it to require headlamps at night.

• Like 1

Woolley, try telling the cops when they pull you over and ask why you're driving around town at night with only your sidelights on. This has happened to me twice in the past.

My experience is that, say I'm driving along on a not so bright day. A car is approaching me from the rear with its side or dipped lights on. Always I will notice it sooner than if it was unlit.

Woolley, try telling the cops when they pull you over and ask why you're driving around town at night with only your sidelights on. This has happened to me twice in the past.

My experience is that, say I'm driving along on a not so bright day. A car is approaching me from the rear with its side or dipped lights on. Always I will notice it sooner than if it was unlit.

I wouldn't even dream of it, Quilp. I've never driven on sidelights at night here because they are so far gone on the headlights fetish it's not worth the hassle, apart from the fact that it's against Manx law. Still makes me chuckle though.

As for noticing an approaching vehicle with dipped headlights sooner on a dull day, I don't doubt it. In fact this is the basis of my objection to them. They are unnecessary. Nobody will convince me that anyone with eyesight good enough to be on the road cannot see an unlit vehicle in ample time in broad daylight on a clear (but dull) day. However, they call the attention away from unlit hazards such as pedestrians. They grab more than their fair share of your attention if you like.