Interesting reading here

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Arts Council is funded by the U.K. national lottery.   Are you suggesting that tickets sold in the IOM should contribute to arts projects in the U.K. rather than here?   Personally I think th

If an artist can't hack it in the free market, they're obviously not good enough.

Arts 🎭 are great as long as I as a taxpayer do not have to pay or subsidize other people's hobbies/interests. If I want to watch the opera or ballet I should be prepared to pay for the privilege, not

Good find.

Some corkers in there, 6k on Edinburgh fringe, money for rich peeps at KWC... all pocket change against normal waste but an example of waste none the less

Edited by Tarne

“The arts are essen­tial to any com­plete national life. The State owes it to itself to sus­tain and encour­age them….Ill fares the race which fails to salute the arts with the rev­er­ence and delight which are their due.” Winston Churchill

• Like 1

Arts 🎭 are great as long as I as a taxpayer do not have to pay or subsidize other people's hobbies/interests. If I want to watch the opera or ballet I should be prepared to pay for the privilege, not expect my ticket at a rock bottom price as Government wish to encourage arts for the masses.

• Like 4

The Arts Council is funded by the U.K. national lottery.

Are you suggesting that tickets sold in the IOM should contribute to arts projects in the U.K. rather than here?

Personally I think that investment in art is rather like investment in sport. It adds to the quality of life here, provides opportunities for some to explore their potential. The Island would be a duller place without these activities and we will lose more of our youngsters if these spheres dry up.

• Like 9

“The tarts are essen­tial to any com­plete national life. The State owes it to itself to sus­tain and encour­age them….Ill fares the race which fails to salute the tarts with the rev­er­ence and delight which are their due.” Winston Churchill

fixed

Are you suggesting that tickets sold in the IOM should contribute to arts projects in the U.K. rather than here?

Personally I think that investment in art is rather like investment in sport. It adds to the quality of life here, provides opportunities for some to explore their potential. The Island would be a duller place without these activities and we will lose more of our youngsters if these spheres dry up.

I agree. Now I need to sit down.

• Like 1

That isn't quite right, is it Declan. The Arts Council, Sports Council and IOM Lottery awards ( whatever they are currently called ) are funded by the tax on U.K. National Lottery tickets sold here.

No money comes from the uk lottery funds to any IOM charity, event etc.

“The arts are essen­tial to any com­plete national life. The State owes it to itself to sus­tain and encour­age them….Ill fares the race which fails to salute the arts with the rev­er­ence and delight which are their due.” Winston Churchill

I actually agree, but this stuff is just tat.

He wasn't talking about government hand outs and I'm sure his definition of art would find much of the "art" paid for by Manx taxpayers to be rubbish rather than art.

• Like 1

If an artist can't hack it in the free market, they're obviously not good enough.

Bit like that van Gogh bloke then.... He managed to sell bugger all during his lifetime

As if any of the shite art here is on Van Gogh's level.