Jump to content

Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock


Non-Believer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, we've just come home via L'pool terminal and the new one can't be worse, can it? 

What a nightmare to get to. every time we have travelled via L'pool the route changes, yesterday seemed a very round about route to get to the terminal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Well, we've just come home via L'pool terminal and the new one can't be worse, can it? 

What a nightmare to get to. every time we have travelled via L'pool the route changes, yesterday seemed a very round about route to get to the terminal.

I found the same the other week.  I could not see how to get in to check in, drove around the Liver Building looking, then eventually walked to the check in to ask a driver waiting to check in.  The barrier was supposed to be removed at 4.30, but staff were late, so I drove in from the car park only to be challenged by a staff member. I had to go back out through the car park and come back in through the barriered entrance.  I pointed that out to her and she said she would remove the barriers. It was quite a jovial exchange (I don't like haranguing front line staff).

Got checked in, but was destined for over an hours wait on the landing stage.  So I went to the 'departure lounge' to get a cuppa, all vending machines bar the Walls Ice Cream machine were cash only and I had only a few coins.  So I had a Calippo!

Just a rotten experience, made even more bleak by the late arrival of the boat. 

ETA it ended up a 2 hour wait, not a disaster, but when you start to think of going to the loo to pass some time (pun intended),  it ain't great. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

"Most" IoM freight arrives by artic. Even "roll on, roll off" HGVs will need a staging and holding area for sailings, as per Douglas, Heysham or any other Dock that deals with them. Does the Liverpool Terminal have this facility or are they going to queue on the M6?

You are quite wrong. Yes articulated trailer but without tractor unit and driver. All loaded and unloaded with loading tractor units. It was never ever meant to be anything other. Liverpool was never ever going to be that. Planning is not an issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Well, we've just come home via L'pool terminal and the new one can't be worse, can it? 

What a nightmare to get to. every time we have travelled via L'pool the route changes, yesterday seemed a very round about route to get to the terminal.

I think its temporary. 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

What a nightmare to get to. every time we have travelled via L'pool the route changes

Yeah! Going thru that tunnel adds ages???  😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

You are quite wrong. Yes articulated trailer but without tractor unit and driver. All loaded and unloaded with loading tractor units. It was never ever meant to be anything other. Liverpool was never ever going to be that. Planning is not an issue.

The freight capacity seems to be at weekends only though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yet he’s what we said about freight when it was approved by Tynwald.

https://www.tynwald.org.im//business/opqp/sittings/20182021/IOM-Ferry-Terminal-Liverpool-July2019-MEMO.pdf

That was years ago. I'm sure the residents of the twee apartments have had something to say about the "200 checked in vehicles and winter weekend freight" since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are quite wrong. Yes articulated trailer but without tractor unit and driver. All loaded and unloaded with loading tractor units. It was never ever meant to be anything other. Liverpool was never ever going to be that. Planning is not an issue.

No, I'm right. Tractorless semi trailers still require marshaling and staging areas and I'm sure that the good residents of the swish new Albert Dock condos will be delighted at their passage and arrival and subsequent maneuvering (even with loading tractor units), particularly at weekends.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

No, I'm right. Tractorless semi trailers still require marshaling and staging areas and I'm sure that the good residents of the swish new Albert Dock condos will be delighted at their passage and arrival and subsequent maneuvering (even with loading tractor units), particularly at weekends.

You are confusing me now. Maybe we are confusing each other.

Yes tractorless trailers need marshalling. They need a massive staging area. What I am saying is that it never was the intention to have this at liverpool. 

Liverpool will be able to take a handful of driven articulated units in the way Birkenhead did. No more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2022 at 6:39 AM, asitis said:

Have our MHK's seen a full cost breakdown of where the money has gone before they voted to continue this farce ?

I did ask one but didn't get an answer.

If you're reading this Stu let us know, unless the answer is commercially confidential.

I asked an MLC and they replied "We've been sold a pup".

Mr Hooper stood on my doorstep and said just because we had committed £X didn't mean we had to continue, and there would have  to be VERY good reasons for him to approve the extra expenditure.

Laurie? LAURIE??

(Albeit, as a member of comin, unless he had a stated objection, could he have voted against it and kept his position?)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hoops said:

Mr Hooper stood on my doorstep and said just because we had committed £X didn't mean we had to continue, and there would have  to be VERY good reasons for him to approve the extra expenditure.

Laurie? LAURIE??

(Albeit, as a member of comin, unless he had a stated objection, could he have voted against it and kept his position?)

He stood on my doorstep too and assured me that he thought it would easily top £100M.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...