Jump to content

Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock


Non-Believer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or is it total apathy that overspending on every project this Government commit to is commonplace? I am now following everything Baker is involved in seem's to have the Viv Nicholson approach "spend spend spend" he is like a child in a sweetshop! but the worse thing for me is we are allowing it to happen and take it on the chin. I have promised myself that come this GE I will grill each potential candidate on how they are going to tackle this issue. I have noticed that DOI have an apparent open cheque when it comes to spending which includes numerous IMHO not very important projects including Heritage trail Peel to Douglas (has anyone got a final cost for this project last I heard it was £850,000) numerous bridges again vanity projects and Heritage trails and cyclepaths Island wide and yet they cannot even maintain the main road network eg roadmarking's Peel to KM coast road hit and miss St Judes to Ramsey non existant., potholes on the road which I have never seen the like before, the list is endless and the Minister is not bothered. It would also appear that no other MHK's or for that matter Commissioner's give a toss, as it is accepted. On my travel's around the Island I can see load's of DOI vehicle's with men on board, are these guy's driving around with blinkers? I can spot sign's and line's all over the Island that need replacing or relining and I am not looking for defect's, seriously we need to get on top of this debacle before we are the laughing stock of the british isle's. We are currently a cash cow for anyone who want's to blag tax payer's money. I feel better now, rant over time to go for a run North and wear my blinkers otherwise blood pressure tablets will be out.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My impression is that it's the CoMin system: hire as many people as possible, spend as much money as you reasonably can - the idea being that it generates economic activity, with taxpayers cash flushed through

The downside of this is that those on low-to-middle incomes are unnecessarily put upon

& whilst Treasury is munificent elsewhere, it appears to me to be conducting an undeclared war of attrition against social security recipients without any public mandate to do so

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I wonder if its too late to bin the new terminal

Maybe we should have a foot passenger only service to Liverpool and buy a little foot passenger ferry instead

They exist already.  They're called aeroplanes.  They've been around for some time I believe - it's surprising that the DoI hasn't taken them into account.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They exist already.  They're called aeroplanes.  They've been around for some time I believe - it's surprising that the DoI hasn't taken them into account.

it has, they're costing the DOI more a year than the ferry terminal rent would have been

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

My impression is that it's the CoMin system: hire as many people as possible, spend as much money as you reasonably can - the idea being that it generates economic activity, with taxpayers cash flushed through

Sometimes also known as a ponzi scheme.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, Beelzebub3 said:

Is it just me or is it total apathy that overspending on every project this Government commit to is commonplace? I am now following everything Baker is involved in seem's to have the Viv Nicholson approach "spend spend spend" he is like a child in a sweetshop! but the worse thing for me is we are allowing it to happen and take it on the chin. I have promised myself that come this GE I will grill each potential candidate on how they are going to tackle this issue. I have noticed that DOI have an apparent open cheque when it comes to spending which includes numerous IMHO not very important projects including Heritage trail Peel to Douglas (has anyone got a final cost for this project last I heard it was £850,000) numerous bridges again vanity projects and Heritage trails and cyclepaths Island wide and yet they cannot even maintain the main road network eg roadmarking's Peel to KM coast road hit and miss St Judes to Ramsey non existant., potholes on the road which I have never seen the like before, the list is endless and the Minister is not bothered. It would also appear that no other MHK's or for that matter Commissioner's give a toss, as it is accepted. On my travel's around the Island I can see load's of DOI vehicle's with men on board, are these guy's driving around with blinkers? I can spot sign's and line's all over the Island that need replacing or relining and I am not looking for defect's, seriously we need to get on top of this debacle before we are the laughing stock of the british isle's. We are currently a cash cow for anyone who want's to blag tax payer's money. I feel better now, rant over time to go for a run North and wear my blinkers otherwise blood pressure tablets will be out.

It really is mind blowing incompetence and seemingly no responsibility for the overspends and what the tax payer is left to fund. I asked on facebook maybe 8 years ago in a open question could anyone name one successful contract carried out on time and on budget and the only one that anyone could mention was Bermahague school but it wasnt till afterwards I learned they did whats happening on the Prom and cut the spec and scope of works. Everything else has been a unmitagated disaster in time and money. How the hell do they manage it . I'm at a loss as consultants are sourced for price and works and a suitable time scale agreed but still it ends up a disaster. I have it on good authority that the Prom scheme were generous with contingencie amount as there was quite a bit they were unsure about but still they manage a unmitigated total cock up. Something has to change in mentality in CS and ministers as surely this cant go on. We clearly , the public , cant afford to fund incompetance any longer . Yeah I know I'm dreaming !!! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Manxman will ramp up price of ferry terminal

Quote

The government could not interfere in the Steam Packet’s decision to buy a new bigger ship - despite it meaning Manx taxpayers will have to pay more for the Liverpool ferry terminal.

Just when you thought the state of the Island's governance couldn't get any worse.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just seen a Paul Moulton TV clip with a woman Kerry Sharpe, who I hadn't heard of. Her comments regarding the Steam Packet and Liverpool are mind blowing, and a clear indication of why we have an administration who are utterly clueless about fiscal planning and the need to take care of dwindling government coffers!

Is there any wonder business persons (politically correct there !), can run rings around clowns who are supposed to have some valued opinion on matters . FFS.

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, asitis said:

Just seen a Paul Moulton TV clip with a woman Kerry Sharpe, who I hadn't heard of. Her comments regarding the Steam Packet and Liverpool are mind blowing, and a clear indication of why we have an administration who are utterly clueless about fiscal planning and the need to take care of dwindling government coffers!

Is there any wonder business persons (politically correct there !), can run rings around clowns who are supposed to have some valued opinion on matters . FFS.

Governments are easy pickings for private enterprise. They take full and in my view, criminal advantage of government's obsession with being seen to be transparent by always going to tender. They know that there is no negotiation, they go in hard every time, if they lose it, there's always more work coming along. With government, the process is far more important than what it costs, with private enterprise, profit is more important than doing favours for governments.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2021 at 1:09 PM, Numbnuts said:

It really is mind blowing incompetence and seemingly no responsibility for the overspends and what the tax payer is left to fund. I asked on facebook maybe 8 years ago in a open question could anyone name one successful contract carried out on time and on budget and the only one that anyone could mention was Bermahague school 

Police custody block. On time and under budget.

Needed riding like Shergar though. Lots of ‘givens’ like design fees were able to be binned as the suppliers did it all in house. 

I like to think that piece of work cancelled out the nonsense that was Lord St Police Station...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...