Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

4 hours ago, GreyWolf said:

Ffs , I fear that still won’t be the last of all the extra money needed for completion,  jeez what a cock up.

It wont be the last ask for more money. I would wager its the first one of about 3 to 4 more million pound plus more asks for funds.

Any construction site with a 3 storey set of site cabins that size are full of Quantity Surveyors and their assistants.

This huge commitment of contractor employed office staff recourses guarantees that we are most likely  going to pay a whole lot more than we thought for this project................................

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Was not Mr Baker in charge of Highways and Ports before becoming Minister, so begs the question,wtf was he doing in this role if he is making statements like " he inherited these projects, when infact he was the member in charge.

Edited by Holte End

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Plus PP must be in bits on the floor laughing. Ker-ching for the land sale and the conditions. Does anybody think that this facility would have cost this sort of money had they been building it?

No, it would be funny if it weren't so serious. 

If it had freight handling capacity and could be leased to another operator at non SPCo sailing times it would be more palatable.

Why, oh why, are we so bad at this sort of thing? We seem incapable of securing a fair deal in anything we do. 

'The white elephants are coming home to roost' in the words of Peter Karran!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Max Power said:

Why, oh why, are we so bad at this sort of thing? We seem incapable of securing a fair deal in anything we do. 

Because competent people leave the rock. Managing a project like this is not for the B stream.

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

So many example of wasting money. All put down to incompetence. I wouldn't think they'd mind being labelled incompetent. Certainly preferable to being labelled corrupt.  

Exactly right.

5 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It would be nice to see some benevolence from John Whitaker in all this. Between this farce and Heysham, Peel Ports have complete control of the sea routes now...

He's a nice guy really, loves this place. It's not his fault that the Gov are incompetent.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I don't think he ever leaves the Island by boat, otherwise he'd make sure somebody got Heysham Port properly dredged, and kept it so.

It’s being dredged as you post. I even posted video over the weekend

On 7/17/2021 at 7:23 PM, John Wright said:

Heysham being dredged today, with a suction dredger

Just now, John Wright said:

It’s being dredged as you post. I even posted video over the weekend

can it nip over and do the peel marina? could have saved £5m....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

can it nip over and do the peel marina? could have saved £5m....

We'd still have to get JCK to dump it all in a field behind the power station though...