Jump to content

Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock


Non-Believer
 Share

Recommended Posts

There was an interesting Written Answer released over the Christmas period that some may have missed:

The Hon. Ms August-Hanson MLC to ask the Minister of Infrastructure – Whether his Department has entered into financial commitments beyond £38,054,000 relating to the Liverpool Landing Stage; and, if so, what power granted those decisions?

The Minister of Infrastructure (Minister Crookall):

At the July 2021 sitting of Tynwald, the Department came forward with a request for interim funding of £13.8m to provide budget capacity past the post-election Tynwald sittings with clarity that once scour procurement and associated negotiations were complete, the Department would revert for the balance of funding.

This was to regularise the financial position.

Tynwald did not support this request.

At July 2021 the contractual commitment was identified as at worst case, circa £32.4m. Using this figure, the rate of expenditure and adding further orders required prior to the scour commitment decision, which was anticipated at that time to be in November, the project was expected to remain within budget until that point. This was based upon the below:

image.png.34f753a018644ecd8325d1258a4cccf8.png

The Department is contractually committed to honouring payments under the building contract and has continued to do so since July 2021, without any alternative direction from Tynwald.

Tynwald’s approval on 14 December 2021 to the request for additional funding provides the mandate to complete the project.

I suspect this just means they're going to continue spending whatever they are asked for because of the 'contract'.  But it's not clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There was an interesting Written Answer released over the Christmas period that some may have missed:

The Hon. Ms August-Hanson MLC to ask the Minister of Infrastructure – Whether his Department has entered into financial commitments beyond £38,054,000 relating to the Liverpool Landing Stage; and, if so, what power granted those decisions?

The Minister of Infrastructure (Minister Crookall):

At the July 2021 sitting of Tynwald, the Department came forward with a request for interim funding of £13.8m to provide budget capacity past the post-election Tynwald sittings with clarity that once scour procurement and associated negotiations were complete, the Department would revert for the balance of funding.

This was to regularise the financial position.

Tynwald did not support this request.

At July 2021 the contractual commitment was identified as at worst case, circa £32.4m. Using this figure, the rate of expenditure and adding further orders required prior to the scour commitment decision, which was anticipated at that time to be in November, the project was expected to remain within budget until that point. This was based upon the below:

image.png.34f753a018644ecd8325d1258a4cccf8.png

The Department is contractually committed to honouring payments under the building contract and has continued to do so since July 2021, without any alternative direction from Tynwald.

Tynwald’s approval on 14 December 2021 to the request for additional funding provides the mandate to complete the project.

I suspect this just means they're going to continue spending whatever they are asked for because of the 'contract'.  But it's not clear.

What an absolute load of gobbledegook of a reply. How the hell was anyone supposed to understand that? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

What an absolute load of gobbledegook of a reply. How the hell was anyone supposed to understand that? 

They're not.....

Suffice to say - just in case anybody thought we were actually on top of the MUA debt situation, it's ok, we're busy creating another one in Liverpool...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Department is contractually committed to honouring payments under the building contract and has continued to do so since July 2021, without any alternative direction from Tynwald.

Tynwald should now examine the contract in full, who signed it ? on whose authority ? and better still, who knew it exposed the taxpayers to an unquantified sum of money ?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

They're not.....

Suffice to say - just in case anybody thought we were actually on top of the MUA debt situation, it's ok, we're busy creating another one in Liverpool...

It's ok, we'll just keep our heads buried in the sand and ignore this, MUA debt and the pensions black hole. It doesn't (seem) to bother anyone until the wolf is actually at the door. 

 

59 minutes ago, asitis said:

Tynwald should now examine the contract in full, who signed it ? on whose authority ? and better still, who knew it exposed the taxpayers to an unquantified sum of money ?

 

Liverpool and Douglas Prom should be the subjects of investigation by forensic accountants. Some would say the actions of the DOI in the last 7+ years have been borderline criminal. 

Personally I suspect it's more boring and is purely the result of widescale institutionalised incompetence within that Department. 

People who questioned the appointment of Nick Black as CEO were shouted down at the time as Manx Crabs (what experience and qualifications did he actually have?). Well it looks like that one has come home to roost. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Will they still get big crowds when they are in the Championship?

Don't worry. The crowds will be massive in a few years when them and the Ravens are in the same division. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Declan said:

Don't worry. The crowds will be massive in a few years when them and the Ravens are in the same division. 

Probably the timescale for the project to be completed in any case ! Unless we run out of cash first !

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...