Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Andy Onchan

Flybe nosedives on profits warning

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I think you will find that currently they only have the 2 stobart aircraft on the iom operating on their behalf and no Loganair aircraft. So not really a fair proportion.

Most of Flybe maintenance is contracted to Monarch engineering division

I wasn't referring to just IOM. Stobart is now operating on more Flybe routes than advertised. MAN-SEN for one. And you will get the odd lane pop up when FlyBe don't have an aircraft available due to their own aircraft going technical. I know, it's happened to me. (And is particularly annoying when you have reserved a seat at the front based on a Dash only to find that it's an ATR which loads from the back.)

The Loganair franchise is a legacy but costs will still be washing through the system.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be another excuse for poor performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wasn't referring to just IOM. Stobart is now operating on more Flybe routes than advertised. MAN-SEN for one. And you will get the odd lane pop up when FlyBe don't have an aircraft available due to their own aircraft going technical. I know, it's happened to me. (And is particularly annoying when you have reserved a seat at the front based on a Dash only to find that it's an ATR which loads from the back.)

The Loganair franchise is a legacy but costs will still be washing through the system.

Anyway, I'm sure there'll be another excuse for poor performance.

Man-sen is a franchise route though which is somewhat different to them operating on behalf of Flybe, appreciate that perhaps matters not a bit to the average passenger though. The IOM flights are actually Flybe flights that they seem to pay Stobart to operate on some sort of ACMI contract.

Problem as i see it is they have too few profitable routes that do not attract the attention of the big carriers to support their current size 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few on here seem to have a pretty good understanding of the aviation industry. Is it really that difficult to change unprofitable routes or even stop them altogether and have a plane sitting idle if it's that or lose money hand over fist flying planes that lose money virtually each trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, asitis said:

A real opportunity for more uncertainty in air transport !

 

A real opportunity for someone to take charge and run it properly for a change. They've jumped from one Chief Exec to another for years and nothing has improved. It's a convenient soundbite to blame external factors like Brexit but they were struggling badly before we even had a referendum. They need a new business model.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

A real opportunity for someone to take charge and run it properly for a change. They've jumped from one Chief Exec to another for years and nothing has improved. It's a convenient soundbite to blame external factors like Brexit but they were struggling badly before we even had a referendum. They need a new business model.

Absolutely true in terms of the UK operation, here the 2006 village idiots did their best to disenfranchise Flybe and to lose the base, whereby over 100 taxable incomes left the IOM and no aircraft were based here. IMO this makes us particularly vulnerable to whatever their new business model may be especially where a limited and non regulated market is also served by a low cost carrier !

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

A real opportunity for someone to take charge and run it properly for a change. They've jumped from one Chief Exec to another for years and nothing has improved. It's a convenient soundbite to blame external factors like Brexit but they were struggling badly before we even had a referendum. They need a new business model.

don't say that:rolleyes: bet "she who ate all the pies" is eyeing it up......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, asitis said:

Absolutely true in terms of the UK operation, here the 2006 village idiots did their best to disenfranchise Flybe and to lose the base, whereby over 100 taxable incomes left the IOM and no aircraft were based here. IMO this makes us particularly vulnerable to whatever their new business model may be especially where a limited and non regulated market is also served by a low cost carrier !

But if there is a market to make money the gap will be filled. It's okay to keep harping on about a lifeline service, like some do on here, but no company can lose money and remain in business. If Stobart for example think they can make the island routes work they'll keep them on. Similarly with Easyjet. Or Ryanair.

In my opinion Flybe flew too many services to Manchester for instance. Five flights a day is overkill when none are full. They have limped along as a company for a while now, franchising different routes out and becoming a glorified branding company without any real value in the brand. Eventually other companies will decide they can do it all better and cheaper themselves. Which is what will happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect time for the IOM Government to expand their new found interests in the travel industry.  Just think of what they could do with the Steam Packet & their own airline!  They could bring back the Manx Airlines brand and have it as a flag carrier to destinations all over the world!  

 

4 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

But if there is a market to make money the gap will be filled. It's okay to keep harping on about a lifeline service, like some do on here, but no company can lose money and remain in business. If Stobart for example think they can make the island routes work they'll keep them on. Similarly with Easyjet. Or Ryanair.

In my opinion Flybe flew too many services to Manchester for instance. Five flights a day is overkill when none are full. They have limped along as a company for a while now, franchising different routes out and becoming a glorified branding company without any real value in the brand. Eventually other companies will decide they can do it all better and cheaper themselves. Which is what will happen.

I think the reason behind the number of services is that it costs the company more to have the aircraft sat on the ground at the airport than it does to actually fly even if they are virtually empty.  I think this is the same reason Easyjet fly to the Island.  I suspect that if you looked at their schedules then you would find the IOM flights nicely fill a gap between other services when they would otherwise be incurring airport charges.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Perfect time for the IOM Government to expand their new found interests in the travel industry.  Just think of what they could do with the Steam Packet & their own airline!  They could bring back the Manx Airlines brand and have it as a flag carrier to destinations all over the world!  

 

I think the reason behind the number of services is that it costs the company more to have the aircraft sat on the ground at the airport than it does to actually fly even if they are virtually empty.  I think this is the same reason Easyjet fly to the Island.  I suspect that if you looked at their schedules then you would find the IOM flights nicely fill a gap between other services when they would otherwise be incurring airport charges.  

Yes I agree with the point about standing charges at airports and it is probably the reason Easyjet decided to fly here initially but the flights to Gatwick are virtually full most days so there is now a sound business case for maintaining the route.

Flybe have been wobbling for a long time, put them out of their misery. I agree let's instigate dialogue with another operator though to try and get a base back here. We have the opportunity to offer an incentive to someone to replicate what Flybe did a while back. It just needs someone with a commercial brain in key positions within government to think outside the box and not just repeat the same mantra about open skies etc... Be creative.

Unfortunately we've got the same brains in there that wrote a business case for millions of passengers a year through the airport but forgot the detail of where they were going to come from though.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TT bookingers are going to be twitching about now.  My TT drinking pal ditched sleazy jet because of their appalling customer service, paid and booked Flybe already.  Think I’ll hang on for my summer booking now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

TT bookingers are going to be twitching about now.  My TT drinking pal ditched sleazy jet because of their appalling customer service, paid and booked Flybe already.  Think I’ll hang on for my summer booking now.

mention tt= bailout by iomg taxpayers cash.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the D.E.D going to buy it to add to the governments steam packet portfolio. IOM  where you can folks.

Edited by GreyWolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steam Packet Airlines, with the flight crew in chunky jumpers. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...