Flybe nosedives on profits warning

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As predicted, when his holiness the Chief Cockwomble was interviewed on BBC Breakfast this morning, his only reference was about TT visitors being able to get here. No mention of the effect on residen

I think when most people hear of a contingency plan being in place the expectation is for that contingency plan to kick in immediately upon the happening of the event the contingency was planned for.

Writing the adverts now, ‘Steam Packet Airlines, if there ain’t a boat in the morning, there probably won’t be a plane either’.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, IOM said:

Jersey has twice the number of passenger movements than the Isle of Man. both BA and Easyjet fly in Airbus 319s at regular intervals throughout the day not dropped in at the end of a schedule . Frequent well timed services are critical for an island. 

But not twice the population

So, if as you infer the demand isn't there, clearly government policy is not creating economic activity inward to the island or generating sufficient wealth for its citizens to be able to travel more frequently 

Small planes with limited seats numbers do not accommodate the numbers of tourists or business travellers

• Like 1

I agree there is more required to further create value I stated that in a previous post. However watch what happens if you only have big jets going in once or twice a day which is basically all the island can sustain currently it simply wont work. Jersey have the economic activity and have around 8 or 9 A319s going in throughout the day ( not clustered into the middle of the day or end of day). I will believe more in your argument and the merits of Easyjet the day they overnight a plane at Ronaldsway lets see if they are prepared to do that. I think I know the answer.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

So 30+ years old and horrible interiors. We are ever so lucky to have been graced by the blessed Loganair.

Yes, it's a sorry situation when our 'Government' ends up kowtowing to a shitty little airline, like Loganair.......

18 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

What other airline would you prefer? Just curious.

I fully recognise that there aren't too many options.

I was really pointing out the desperation of the overall situation. We've got Ministers cheer-leading about a very expensive service, operated by ancient, tiny turbo-props, involving an Estonian airline, no one has heard of, on behalf of a Scottish airline, who've done very little for the Island, over the years.

There may still be a chance to salvage something involving Stobart, who have plenty of aircraft and crew, but have their own problems after their ill-conceived dalliance with FlyBe and Connect.

The end game here, may be that the Government has no option, other than the throw themselves at the mercy of easyJet.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I fully recognise that there aren't too many options.

I was really pointing out the desperation of the overall situation. We've got Ministers cheer-leading about a very expensive service, operated by ancient, tiny turbo-props, involving an Estonian airline, no one has heard of, on behalf of a Scottish airline, who've done very little for the Island, over the years.

There may still be a chance to salvage something involving Stobart, who have plenty of aircraft and crew, but have their own problems after their ill-conceived dalliance with FlyBe and Connect.

The end game here, may be that the Government has no option, other than the throw themselves at the mercy of easyJet.

Easyjet won’t put on extra capacity other than for a very short time. They ramp up their European routes over the spring and summer, squeezing every last buck out of airframes and crews. Coronavirus is a short term issue (I hope) so any spare capacity from route cancellation could be potentially used. 

But there’s a strong likelihood that within the next 14 days the UK Government will hit the nuclear button and impose a travel lockdown as per Italy. There is a growing lobby advocating that action now. When that happens, any Isle of Man travel aspirations become irrelevant.

• Like 2